Overdrive pedal problems

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Evan594, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Evan594

Evan594 New Member

So today I went to guitar center to get a new pedal and I was in love wih the Friedman Brown Eye OD pedal. It sounded amazing in store so I bought it and took it home. I plug it in set it all up and I turn it on and it just blasts insane feedback. Nothing I do can help. I know od pedals have more noise than amps, but this is too much. Even with my guitars volume at 0 it’s still really loud and hissing. Also the volume and gain on the pedal seem to do nothing. As well as the other knobs. But I know the pedal itself is working because it sounds slightly different than the amp on its regular metal setting. Slightly. Any help with this? I can’t use it at a decent volume because it’s just too much noise

2. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Which amp? Where's the pedal (in the loop or in front of the amp)?

3. Evan594

Evan594 New Member

It’s an old Ernie Ball Crate gt1200 on top of an old ampeg can and it’s just plugged from my amp into the pedal and the pedal to my guitar with a 9 volt power supply

4. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

Does the power supply have a "Center Negative" jack? If yes, and if the power supply works fine with another pedal, then something sounds fried. Maybe you have a Fried Friedman? :eek:

Oh, and one other thing... Did you bring home the same one that you tried in the store? There's an internal (white) trim pot that adjusts the "starting point" for the gain. Open up the back and make sure it's at its default setting of 12 o'clock, and not maxed out (clockwise).

5. Evan594

Evan594 New Member

I sadly have no idea about the center negative jack haha and no it’s a brand new one they had behind counter. I don’t know for sure which power supply is cuz it didn’t come with one so the guys gave me an old one from a used product they had but it seemed to be the same kind they had for use that worked fine with the demo pedal I tried

6. JJJ

JJJ asleep

Sounds like a power supply issue

Friedman pedals need a specific type of 9v-18v supply, so different to a "standard" boss type 9v centre negative. I think the polarity might be reversed but not sure. I am only aware because I went pedal shopping recently and nearly bought one of the BE OD pedals

Never plug that supply into it again or you might fry something, check with the retailer or if they are inept go to Friedman and find out what spec supply you need

7. JJJ

JJJ asleep

Some pedals have weird requirements, different sized tips and reversed polarity due to the way theya re grounded, their power requirements and whether the manufacturer wants to prevent you daisy chaining. My moog stuff is all reverse polarity with a smaller input for example and they have high power draw

8. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

My Friedman BE-OD worked perfectly well with a standard 9V center-negative power supply - something like a 1-Spot or equivalent from GC that was daisy-chained with a bunch of other pedals on my board.

OP - let us know what the outcome was.

9. Evan594

Evan594 New Member

So I got a new cable and I helped a little bit. What I found was it’s rlly my amp head. I tested it on just about every expensive amp at GC and then went to less expensive amps and def found a huge difference. My head is a rlly old Ernie Ball Crate and when I use any sort of metal/gain tone with the amp and then use the pedal it’s unusable, but if I keep the amp on clean or a small amount of gain the pedal gives a huge gain boost to get all the metal needs. Id only my head was better I could utilize the full tone of the amp without the buzz. Oh well haha not gunna spend $2000 on a head right now so I’ll stick with a noise gate

JJJ and Alnus Rubra like this.