Over spend on an SE? Lol, check out mine!!

Will changing the bridge post wells make a resonance, sustain, or tone improvement?

• Total voters
put a 0.047u capacitor in line with the neck pup at the selector switch... makes a high pass filter .. can always adjust the crossover point..smaller is higher, larger is lower.

I did exactly this on the Akesson I mentioned earlier in the thread, as well as another guitar that I no longer own. It worked wonderfully. I had it wired to the “out” position on a push-pull pot, and the pot bit the dust, so I went back to stock. But I should put that mod back in. I liked it more than coil splitting.

I did exactly this on the Akesson I mentioned earlier in the thread, as well as another guitar that I no longer own. It worked wonderfully. I had it wired to the “out” position on a push-pull pot, and the pot bit the dust, so I went back to stock. But I should put that mod back in. I liked it more than coil splitting.
thx

I should have started a thread called "a guitarist learns something new every decade".. lol.

I had a Jazz in the neck of my LP Standard DC that was woolly as all heck and doing this made it perfectly balanced.. was even considering something for the bridge to go from LP > SG

Gigging the guitar tonight in Knoxville. Hope to have some action shots for ya.

There's an old dude here tonight from Nashville rock a sweet CU24. He says he's a studio cat. Looking forward to hearing him play!!!

Come out if you are near Knoxville. We're at the Open Chord on Kingston Pike. The fun just started!!

Awesome! I had the same scheme cooked up.. Modding an SE, or S2 594. I actually ordered that same guitar in charcoal, but the order got fouled up and canceled.. I ended up buying an SG Standard. LOVE IT.

Months passed, and I again started wanting another PRS, but opted for the S2 594. Reason I went with that, is the only mods it really needs, (for me), is pickups, and locking tuners. Though, the tuners are just fine, I just like the convenience..

At the end of the day, you'll take a bigger bath on the SE if you ever sell it. Plus, an upgraded S2 594 is that much more superior to me.

BUT, I dig yours, for sure!

Overspend? I believe my SE SVN is one of the most costly spending in this forums, probably in the world. I think the terms 'overspend' depends on individual's perspective, really.

For me, I bought a brand new SVN and it has become by 'test subject' for more than 3 years. Tons of experiment have been applied such as:
- refinishing the entire guitar for 3 times, currently with pink stain on top and neck
- attaching flamed maple veneers on top, twice
- filled the tonepot hole, making this PRS a volume-only configuration
- attaching rosewood veneer on headstock, including a gold metal PRS decal
- replacing stock tuners with SE locking with custom black buttons
- replacing stock bridge with brass Hipshot style
- installing Graphtech nut
- installing Jescar stainless steel frets
- installing 3mm Luminlays side dots
- making direct-mount pickup
- replacing stock pickups 4 times, all Bare Knuckle ones, currently staying with Warpig Ceramic medel
- replacing stock volume pot with Bare Knuckle 550k
- replacing stock PU selector to 5-way superswitch
- etc., there maybe others I don't remember

And yes, tons of money spent for this SVN for the sake of my curiousity - nearly $3000 for parts and tools. That's enough for getting a nice usedcore AP, but my goal is 'to experiment' so I don't mind going down the rabbit hole this deep.

Also some minor upgrades with other SE guitars I owned; like SE 277 with Gotoh tuners, Hipshot braidge and SD Nazgul pup, and a 245 loaded with US-made 245 pups.

QFSQJXf.jpeg

FdZh3qX.jpeg

MsPDiTt.jpeg

F2GunwZ.jpeg

Rb0Wcjz.jpeg

LZHVMXZ.jpeg

0uxMg1v.jpeg

As mentioned above. I took the guitar out for some stage action last night. I was a little nervous about it, but the guitar delivered what I was expecting and inspired me to dig in and let go.

Tonight I am starting a new session job. I'll be doing some clean comping in the verses, doing light crunch power chords in the chorus to support the keyboards and adding "tasteful" fills around the vocals. This project just wants "best" for the song.

Tonight I'll do several DI tracks using 4 different guitars:

1) ME-V [A]
2) SE245
3) Airline 59p [C]
4) Ibanez RG560 [D]

I'll let the artist decide which guitar they like best. This gig is one where the artist has some amp plugins he likes so I don't have to worry about amp sounds. I can track with what inspires the part, and he can print whatever amp he wants.

It'll be curious which guitar gets picked.

Ok my SE CU24 has Mann locking tuners and trem, USA pots and nut, switch craft switch, Bare Kuckles Stormy Mondays, and mahogany back covers. If I had paid retail for the pickups I think we’d be close.

Ok my SE CU24 has Mann locking tuners and trem, USA pots and nut, switch craft switch, Bare Kuckles Stormy Mondays, and mahogany back covers. If I had paid retail for the pickups I think we’d be close.

Right on!!

The bit that's killing me is how this experiment has yielded such an amazing feeling and sounding instrument. I was going back and forth between the SE and my ME-V last night. All I can say is I would be down with PRS offering SE Deluxe models with the import wood/fit/finish with USA parts instead of the S2 guitars.

The "live performance" test the other night proved to me that this SE is the real deal. I plugged into somebody else's amp and pedal board, made NO changes except rolling the tones back on the guitar, and was able to get lost in my playing/performing. The instrument became an extension of me. I can't ask for much more.

While looking at the two guitars side by side, you can visibly see the differences between the Core and the SE. Playing them? Pretty much in the same ballpark. Tonally? They live in the same house. It's PRS tone all the way....sweet, singing sustain, and clarity across the tonal spectrum.

This is great! One of the main reasons I joined the forum was to see how people were upgrading their SE and S2 guitars and this is the first post I have read. Looking like a killer upgrade!

This is great! One of the main reasons I joined the forum was to see how people were upgrading their SE and S2 guitars and this is the first post I have read. Looking like a killer upgrade!

Awesome!! Glad that this thread is what you're looking for. Follow it. I'm recording a demo/review for my YouTube channel today. I'll post it here when done.

Anyone want the video to do some tone comparisons to the Modern Eagle V?

Awesome!! Glad that this thread is what you're looking for. Follow it. I'm recording a demo/review for my YouTube channel today. I'll post it here when done.

Anyone want the video to do some tone comparisons to the Modern Eagle V?
Groovy. I’ll look forward to it.

Thanks Reub! :D

A lot of posts saying "Replace the nut with a Core nut"

Where can I get a Core nut in the UK, and how do I know which I need?

Thanks Reub! :D

A lot of posts saying "Replace the nut with a Core nut"

Where can I get a Core nut in the UK, and how do I know which I need?
This is the one I used.

Reliable retailer as well.

Back