Over spend on an SE? Lol, check out mine!!

Will changing the bridge post wells make a resonance, sustain, or tone improvement?

• Total voters
I want to get the opinion of those watching this thread (and to anyone else!)....

I am seeing how far I can take this project. Do any of you think that replacing the well for the bridge posts will make a significant improvement in resonance, sustain and/or tone? I have learned well from Mr. Smith....I am thinking it will make a difference, but I am wondering how much of a difference. Negligible? Significant?

Thoughts?

I want to get the opinion of those watching this thread (and to anyone else!)....

I am seeing how far I can take this project. Do any of you think that replacing the well for the bridge posts will make a significant improvement in resonance, sustain and/or tone? I have learned well from Mr. Smith....I am thinking it will make a difference, but I am wondering how much of a difference. Negligible? Significant?

Thoughts?

I've been wondering about those too? Mine's still at the "spa", so the timing would be perfect to have some installed. I was not about to try and replace them myself. I'm okay and getting better with my set-up and basic wiring skills but this mod was way outside of my scope.

I've already done the brass posts but it was purely for the esthetic. It'll be interesting to see what you (we) find out. But it makes perfect sense considering the string touches brass on both ends. But keep in mind mine still has the oem bridge.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about those too? Mine's still at the "spa", so the timing would be perfect to have some installed. I was not about to try and replace them myself. I'm okay and getting better with my set-up and basic wiring skills but this mod was way outside of my scope.

I've already done the brass posts but it was purely for the esthetic. It'll be interesting to see what you (we) find out. But it makes perfect sense considering the string touches brass on both ends. But keep in mind mine still has the oem bridge.

Cool. I'd love to compare notes. You in Tennessee by any chance, lol?

I'm pretty sure I'll swap the wells. Might as well. They're not too expensive and my gut says it'll make a difference. Needless to say, I'm committed to taking the SE as far as I can without doing major structural mods.

I'm pretty sure I'll swap the wells. Might as well. They're not too expensive and my gut says it'll make a difference. Needless to say, I'm committed to taking the SE as far as I can without doing major structural mods.

Same! Naa, North West Alabama. The wife and I want to do a trip to the mountains. I would love to catch a show at The Shed sometime. She just got a promotion, so who knows when that trip is gonna happen? Bright side...the extra income helps free up a little money for gear...or mods;) So there is that.

If it's cheap enough, then totally go for it. I love suping up SE axes. It's cool to see how far they can get. Just a small word on hardware replacements: they do change tone but the amount is not always noticeable and it depends on the part. Brass blocks and nuts, at least in my experience, do the most. To me the boon of buying more expensive hardware is generally better grade and machined parts that are more durable. It can be pricy, but these things you only need buy one time for pretty much the life of the guitar. Its worth doing in the end.

I've had my thinking contaminated a bit by playing around with an analog synthesizer for the last couple of months,. I've started wondering if a filter might not just be the ticket to cutting a little mud out of my neck pickups. Over the last decade or so it's seemed to me like the tonal balance between PRS' bridge and neck pickups has been drifting out of whack. If I'm playing dirty and the bridge pickup sounds good to me, the neck pickup is often too dark. I think thats' been happening since the heyday of the 59/09s.
put a 0.047u capacitor in line with the neck pup at the selector switch... makes a high pass filter .. can always adjust the crossover point..smaller is higher, larger is lower.

I got the rest of the parts yesterday. The Mann 2300 bridge is spectacular!!! It is almost weightless. The knobs are knobs - just a finishing touch, but lampshades are essential for the proper look. The Gotoh jackplate is another finishing touch. Totally non-essential, but it adds to an upscale appearance.

Tonight I'm finishing the SE245. Have to install the toggle and the remaining parts. Still waiting on the ivory chickenhead knob.

Also, since everything but one knob is at the house and ready, I am not going to bother with changing the post wells. I want this bad boy strung up and ready to play!!! I'm hoping it won't take too long doing the intonation on the bridge. I have a project coming up and I want to hear if this guitar will fit the bill.

I got the rest of the parts yesterday. The Mann 2300 bridge is spectacular!!! It is almost weightless. The knobs are knobs - just a finishing touch, but lampshades are essential for the proper look. The Gotoh jackplate is another finishing touch. Totally non-essential, but it adds to an upscale appearance.

Tonight I'm finishing the SE245. Have to install the toggle and the remaining parts. Still waiting on the ivory chickenhead knob.

Also, since everything but one knob is at the house and ready, I am not going to bother with changing the post wells. I want this bad boy strung up and ready to play!!! I'm hoping it won't take too long doing the intonation on the bridge. I have a project coming up and I want to hear if this guitar will fit the bill.

YEAH MAN!!! Can't wait to see that bad boy all wrapped up! \m/

Woot Woot!! The chicken head is in the mailbox. Tonight the guitar WILL be 100% complete - as far as the rebuild goes. I figure another day or two before it's totally adjusted and setup.

I'm psyched!!!

Hopefully my Sunday schedule will enable me to do a video on this guitar. I have to spend time on cleans for Sergio. That's gonna be great to do because the 57/08 sounds really great clean....

So, it's done and the results are outstanding. This SE plays and sounds like an absolute beast. It is an instrument that likes finesse. I have only played it clean, but MAN, if that's all I were to get from it I could die happy.

I'll save more for later because I have to head out for the doctor. But, here are a couple pics....

Back