Outstanding Experience PRS Performances

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Inspired by a comment from @veinbuster in another thread...

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to attend at least one Experience PRS event have been witness to some amazing musical moments. Some less than stellar ones as well, to be sure, but it's the great ones that stand out. Besides, we're here to celebrate the positive.

When I think of the amazing performances I've seen at Experience, one of the first ones that comes to mind (almost instantly) is from 2011 - Davy Knowles and David Grissom with Mike Ault, Gary Grissom, and Greg Grissom. Strangely enough, this was not a main stage event - it was in one of the little tents, and it was packed. Besides the great playing, one moment stands out as a testament to the quality people on stage. During one of Mike's solos, David G. walked back to Mike's amp and turned it up. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. Or since. This session lasted maybe 40-45 minutes, but it was one of those things that felt like it was over in a second.

Another angle...

There have been numerous performances that stick in my memory:
- Carlos and Buddy Guy were legendary
- Ashley Cleveland and Kenny Greenberg were a spiritual experience
- Jim McCarty was an absolute monster
- Neal Schon surprised me with his tome and phrasing
- Donna Grantis took no prisoners on the small stage
- Ori burning it down with Voodoo Child

Not the best recording or song they played (Let Me Out or One in a Million), but I dug Electric Mary.

I fell in love with that band that night. So much so that I changed my plans the next day to catch their afternoon set instead of one of the clinics I was going to. That album is killer.

I'm biased, but the Opeth set in 2012(?) was one of the best things I've ever seen live. I'll have to find my photo of Paul hisself blissed out and throwing the horns.

Ah yes. Here's the photo (guess I meme-ified it along with the closing song):

hazexperience.jpg

I don't have any video of it, but I really liked SOJA. I was fortunate enough to see them in The Vault during Experience. A kind and talented group. I have been into them since seeing them.

Here's a clip from the PRS YouTube of the singer talking about meeting Paul. It's a riot.

I would have liked to have seen Johnny Hiland, he’s a monster.

He figures in one or two of my upcoming thoughts for here. He was a highlight of the early Experiences for me. Once I heard him, I tried not to miss any of his clinics.

Back