Output jacks

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by grausch, Oct 19, 2017.

1. grausch

grausch New Member

Hi,

The output jack on my Bernie keeps going loose in the jackplate. Not the biggest of issues, but annoying none-the-less. I have already upgraded the jack itself, but the issue seems to be more related to the jackplate. I know Stewmac has a tool that helps grip the jack and allows one to tighten it properly without taking off the jackplate.

However, my USA PRS has never once had the jack come loose. So the question would be - how can I get my Bernie's jack to stay in place as well as that of the USA PRS? I have read that I could solder the jack to the jackplate and I am not averse to doing this, or that I could use nail polish to hold the nut in place. The aforementioned suggestions both sound reasonable, but I would like to know how PRS does this.

Of course, I could just buy the PRS jack assembly, and replace the whole thing, but I am hesitant doing so as the holes from the SE jackplate will still be visible.

2. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Is there a lock washer on the back side of the jack plate? Outside -> In, it should go nut, flat washer, jack plate, lock washer, and then there could be another nut or washer to adjust the depth of the jack in the plate.

If that's all in place, it should be enough to hold the jack with one hand and hand-tighten the nut using a socket with the other hand.

claythomas and grausch like this.
  3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Locktite

Blue if you want it to NEVER come off Red if you just want it to stay in place

claythomas, dmatthews and grausch like this.
  4. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Locktite is a great suggestion, but BLUE is the gentler thread locker and what you need if you ever want to take it apart again.

grausch likes this.
  5. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

...or teflon tape if you have some kicking around.

grausch likes this.
  6. grausch

grausch New Member

@garrett - thanks, the order of the components was exactly as you described. I tightened everything as tight as I could and will see whether the issue reoccurs. If so, then I will probably use locktite.

garrett likes this.
  7. Atomic

Atomic Who Dat

Look locktite is great and all but jack nuts aren't really made out of the super bestest of metals and you run the risk of permanently joining the jack nut to the guitar even with blue locktite. The best thing I found for keeping them from coming loose is a tiny drop of clear nail polish on the thread seam after you tighten it.

The polish will jam up the threads just enough to keep the nut from falling off but will crumble easily if you want to remove it.

bodia and grausch like this.
  8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'll second this. I've used clear nail polish on a lot of things....but not my nails.

grausch likes this.
  9. gush

gush New Member

Yes....red is more permanent than blue.
    Applying heat to thread lock will soften it for removal down the road.

grausch likes this.