Outer Coils and Inner Coils... courious

bigcraigie_1

So I'm thinking about dropping a 5 way super switch into my SE Custom which currently has 2 Seymour Duncan's in it.

One wiring option I looked at had the two outer coils split for position 2 and the two inner coils split in position 4 of the switch. I'm curious to know if there is much of a tone difference between the two options, or would I be better to utilize one of the positions to say have the neck humbucker in parallel.

The physical spacing between the coils suggests to me that the two inner coils would be more strat like and the two outer coils together would be more tele. I may of course be completely wrong, please ignore my ignorance/lack of knowledge on this subject.

The physical spacing between the coils suggests to me that the two inner coils would be more strat like and the two outer coils together would be more tele. I may of course be completely wrong, please ignore my ignorance/lack of knowledge on this subject.

Exactly. Especially on the 24 fret guitars. Big difference between the two settings.

my les paul 2016 HP has the 20 settings switching capability.
I can choose any coil I want. standard PAF type Humbuckers.
The switch chooses screw coil or slug coil. the two center coils (slug) sound more like a normal thin humbucker. pretty decent. very much a wiry thinner sound, with a mid-heavy EQ,
The two outer coils sound somewhat similar, wiry, but more three-dimensional. You can hear more bass from the neck pickup and you can hear more treble from the the bridge, so extended lows an extended highs, a little bit scooped sounding. seem like the lower strings dominated with too much bass, the upper strings became too much treble.it was okay at cleaner settings, .really murky as more gain was added. It seemed like the middle 2 coils were more familiar territory for just playing. so I would recommend the middle 2.

Back