Out With The Old, In With The New!

Doug B

Basic Hack
I've been a Les Paul player for decades and got my first one in March of 1972. But for the past 15 years I've had problems with my back to the point that I can only stand for 15 minutes while playing either of my Lesters. That was really getting to me because I much prefer standing to sitting while playing. I finally figured out that 8 lbs was my standing limit. So I've been looking for the right guitar where I could still stand and play for an hour-long set. It's been a long search.

Fast forward to November. I started looking at PRS. I bought 3 SEs (Custom 2408, Zach Myers and HB II w/ Piezo) and love all of them. I started looking for the 'right' Core model, hoping that I could trade my 2006 R9 for it. The R9 is in excellent shape, but it just doesn't get played anymore. At 9 lbs 6 oz it was just too heavy. I was at our local shop last Friday and tried out a USA HB McCarty 594... and I fell totally in love. I mean that guitar talked to me all weekend! So I cleaned up the R9 and its case and went back Monday. An hour later I walked out with the McCarty.

I took some quick pics but I'll try to get some better outdoor shots. It's nice knowing that somebody will be rocking that R9 shortly, instead of it sitting in a closet unplayed. And this McCarty is 5.8 lbs of beauty in both looks and tone. One curvy redhead moved out and another younger one moved in! I couldn't be happier.

Very nice!!! Congrats on the acquisition. I'm in somewhat the same boat @Doug B . I can't stand and play very long at all anymore. I'm also only able to do so for about 10-15 minutes with my Les Paul and then my back starts killing me. The PRS is a definite blessing in that regard (and many others of course). Cheers to many hours of jammin'!!!!

I've been a Les Paul player for decades and got my first one in March of 1972. But for the past 15 years I've had problems with my back to the point that I can only stand for 15 minutes while playing either of my Lesters. That was really getting to me because I much prefer standing to sitting while playing. I finally figured out that 8 lbs was my standing limit. So I've been looking for the right guitar where I could still stand and play for an hour-long set. It's been a long search.

Fast forward to November. I started looking at PRS. I bought 3 SEs (Custom 2408, Zach Myers and HB II w/ Piezo) and love all of them. I started looking for the 'right' Core model, hoping that I could trade my 2006 R9 for it. The R9 is in excellent shape, but it just doesn't get played anymore. At 9 lbs 6 oz it was just too heavy. I was at our local shop last Friday and tried out a USA HB McCarty 594... and I fell totally in love. I mean that guitar talked to me all weekend! So I cleaned up the R9 and its case and went back Monday. An hour later I walked out with the McCarty.

I took some quick pics but I'll try to get some better outdoor shots. It's nice knowing that somebody will be rocking that R9 shortly, instead of it sitting in a closet unplayed. And this McCarty is 5.8 lbs of beauty in both looks and tone. One curvy redhead moved out and another younger one moved in! I couldn't be happier.

You have chosen wisely.

you-have-chosen-wisely_orig.jpg

Back