Our Top Amp Story Today...

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

I had a major revelation last night with the Custom 50. It has sat for weeks without being turned on, due to both the major breakthrough tube swap of the Mark V25 and Mark V, and more importantly, the acquisition of the amazing Archon.

I have said before that I really liked this amp, that it was clearly a high end amp, that I loved some of the tones I got from it, etc. I read a post about a year ago where someone said he eventually sold it because it was just too boomy and bottom heavy. I had always described it as fat and smooth gain.

Last night, I figured I'd better play it so it didn't feel neglected. The last time I had turned it on, I was really loving the sound of my OCD into it. My OCD is the 1.7 version which is by far the brightest version of that pedal (I've owned 4 versions). It hit me that if I was really liking the tone with the added crunch and sizzle of the OCD that maybe I should redial some of my other pedals. First, I tried the EP boost, since it already has a mild treble boost built in. The pedal sounded really good, but not enough. Turned the tone control way up on my Fulldrive 3. Also better than before, but it only added to the already heavy mids. Then it hit me... what boost/OD pedal allows tuning of the top and bottom AND doesn't boost mids?

You guessed it. The Timmy. The Timmy is a great pedal and I do play with the knobs but for some reason my quest last night led me straight to what I had been looking for. I turned the bass down on the pedal. I turned the treble up on the pedal. Added some boost and just a little gain. I was playing the NF3, which is a bit brighter than my other PRS guitars by nature.

The Result? Almost immediately I had holy grail tones. I mean blow me away to the point I had to question why I'd never gotten to this point prior to now. The combination of Custom 50 gain channel with Treble at 2:00, bright on, Bass around 9:00-10:00 and Timmy with bottom rolled down and treble rolled up is AMAZING! I almost hate to post such comments after 15-20 minutes of playing with that combination. I was getting the most amazing tones... I've always loved the feel and just the quality of the tones from this amp but always wanted more top end. The Timmy REALLY opened it up. Don't want to go nutso with comparisons to certain grail amps that rhyme with laying the pigskin on the carpet (that's FUMBLE for you non-jocks) but I was really into those fat but present, singing, sustaining, but super touch sensitive tones.

I better stop. I will definitely try this again tonight and even the mighty Archon will earn a well deserved night off. If it's less amazing, I'll say so. But last night I hit a new all time high for that kind of tones and it was absolutely fantastic!

Dude, I love stumbling on to things. Maybe not stumbling in this case. Unexpected results? Maybe just better than you expected! Makes me think I should hunt Timmy down!

Dude, I love stumbling on to things. Maybe not stumbling in this case. Unexpected results? Maybe just better than you expected! Makes me think I should hunt Timmy down!
Honestly, there are two "everybody needs this pedal" pedals IMHO. One is the Timmy. It can be a flat transparent boost, or can boost or cut treble or bass and can add some nice OD. The other is one form or other of the Barber Gain Changer. Everyone needs those two pedals! IMHO ;)

So, I really need to get some 12AT7 tubes is what you're sayin'?

In my V25 it goes in V2 and it blew me away! I did use an old Mullard AT7 so that could be part of it because that is a great tube! In the Mark V I used a new Mesa tube and it is better, but not the killer change that it was with the V25. Brand new tube, maybe needs to break in.... everyone who's tried it at the Boogie Board is crazy about it. I am on the V25 for sure! Try it! (And let me know what you think).

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, there are two "everybody needs this pedal" pedals IMHO. One is the Timmy. It can be a flat transparent boost, or can boost or cut treble or bass and can add some nice OD. The other is one form or other of the Barber Gain Changer. Everyone needs those two pedals! IMHO ;)

I shall look into both of those! Thanks!

I've got two versions of the gain changer. You are more than welcome to borrow one to try out. I can stick it in the box with the amp fairy money and coffee that's headed your way soon.

Rockin! Your description of the Custom 50 is right on - plenty of bass, and not as bright as some. The beauty of it is that it represents frequencies without too much emphasis on any one thing, it gets the most authentic tones from any amp/pedal combo when I find the right match.

I set my clean channel up very similar to yours, + or - the bright switch depending on what I like that day. Brighter pedals are at home with this amp. Need to try the Timmy and Barber! I know they sell the latter at the local shop.

If you're into higher gain tones, I HIGHLY recommend the Wampler Dracarys for the C50. It's got metal, but just plain good rock grind too.

Andy, Dave Barber makes great pedals! I'm trying to get away from pedals for gain as much as possible... well, sorta! LOL I used to be a "clean amp plus pedals" guy but now that I have amps with great gain channels am trying to pare down a bit on pedals. I agree that the C50 takes pedals very well! And it likes ones that add some sizzle. The Gain Changer more of a smooth transparent gain. I was turning the tone control up on it, and using a small to no mid hump. It is a low to mid gain OD pedal.

The Timmy is more of a boost/OD pedal, in that it can really be sent to just be a boost with nice tonal controls. What made it perfect was I could add sizzle, remove bottom, and not add any more mids. That was the magic combination that I had never stumbled on before. The ironic thing being, I was just using the Timmy with it a couple weeks ago but on the clean channel as a nice clean boost with some treble push. Last night, it sounded so good and was working so well I would have used it Les-style... not a "kick on for solos" but an "always on, roll your guitar off for rhythm and to 10 for leads."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Timmy is one of the great pedals out there. I don't even have one, so no axe to grind, but I love the way it sounds!

I thought the knobs on the Timmy were treble&bass cut knobs?

What's the difference in the versions?

Standard version has a 3 way mids switch. Flat, smaller boost, bigger broader boost. (The last is the standard LTD type broad mids boost). Then it has low gain (standard LTD gain) and high gain (LTD Unlimited gain). It has a concentric B/T control. Flat in the middle, boosts one and cuts the other as it's turned up or down. The GCX has all that except that instead of a mids switch, it has a mids knob, so variable control through the whole range of mids.

I thought the knobs on the Timmy were treble&bass cut knobs?

They are, but there is significant boosts of each unless you turn them down some. Paul says flat is around 12:00.

The Timmy is one of the great pedals out there. I don't even have one, so no axe to grind, but I love the way it sounds!

You need one! ;) (See notes above about "Pedals everyone needs, according to DTRs Rules Of Tone Vol.1) :D

Seriously, it would KILL with your HX/DA and your DG amps! You and I have discussed the boosts we've used and flipped in the past. This one is an all time keeper with most amps.

Standard version has a 3 way mids switch. Flat, smaller boost, bigger broader boost. (The last is the standard LTD type broad mids boost). Then it has low gain (standard LTD gain) and high gain (LTD Unlimited gain). It has a concentric B/T control. Flat in the middle, boosts one and cuts the other as it's turned up or down. The GCX has all that except that instead of a mids switch, it has a mids knob, so variable control through the whole range of mids.

Thanks! I need some pedals to go in front of a little something that should be here Friday! Barber and Timmy incoming!

Tonights session confirmed what I heard last night. Timmy>Custom 50 is a GREAT combination. Amp OD channel, gain at noon, treble at 2:00, mids at 11:00, Bass at 9:00 Presence at 2:00, and Master at 9:30 (don't laugh, that's loud for home!) Timmy set Gain at noon, bass at 1:00 (which is a cut) Treble at 11:00 (which is a boost) and level set around 11:00 which is a little boost above unity.

NF3 and PRS 2x12 pine cab complete the setup. Fantastic! Best tones I've heard from the Custom 50. My previous favorite with this amp was the C22 Semi hollow. But I really fought the lows and mids because that guitar really growls. The mid bloom is glorious with that guitar and this amp though. ALIVE, as I have said. It comes out tomorrow night and I'll tune the Timmy as necessary and see how it works. If that setup gets even better, then you may not hear from me for a few days as I'll probably get kicked out of the house before I turn that off!

Also, I did try to replicate the effect of the Timmy with the amp dials... Gain up to 12:30 maybe 1:00, Treble at 3:00 bass at 9:00. It's great, but not as good as the above settings with the Timmy on. The boost in level and treble really wake the amp up. And the bottom cut tightens it up at the same time.

My advice: If you have an H or Custom, get a Timmy! (For that matter, if you have neither, still get one!) I'd love to try an HX/DA with the Timmy! And my Fulltone 69. And my NF3. And my C22 Semi. And my Cutlass. And Bodia's Luke and Santana ( I know... ONE OF Bodias Lukes or Santanas! ;))

Ok, got off on an HX/DA tangent there. Back to the topic at hand. Timmy>C50=Magic!

You need one! ;) (See notes above about "Pedals everyone needs, according to DTRs Rules Of Tone Vol.1) :D

Seriously, it would KILL with your HX/DA and your DG amps! You and I have discussed the boosts we've used and flipped in the past. This one is an all time keeper with most amps.

OK then! I'll get one.

You're buying, right? :)

Back