Our EP is out - hard rockers will enjoy this!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Hey all,

My originals band has a new EP out, some of the tracks have been out a while and you may have already heard them if you've seen my previous posts. But it's now complete, and the final song is a scorcher (if I do say so myself).

This is the newest/final song, Monster:

The full EP, In Darkness and Melody, is here:

https://edgefromfalling.bandcamp.com/album/in-darkness-and-melody

This is the first full recording project I've ever been involved in, having written played on all the songs. In fact, I wrote all of the guitar content on all the songs except "Whispers," and the only thing I didn't record was a short section of that song - credit where due, the other fellow that co-wrote that one with me came up with his fair share of the parts that really "made" the song - the clean interlude and the outro.

Anyways, the guitar gear used on this project is almost 100% PRS stuff. My 25th SECU24 saw a lot of action, the SE Akesson and S2 Custom Semi were responsible for "Buried and Alive". The SE A30E acoustic starts off the first song and really had a good voice for that part. Amps were the Custom 50 with some pedals on everything but "Monster," which was the MT15 into a PRS SE 2x12, and man, did that sound come out the way I wanted it to! Wish I had the MT15 for the whole thing.

I'll be brief, but if you enjoy the tunes, a little guitar oriented track by track commentary:

Heartbeat - Not a ton to say about this one, other than we wanted a banger, and that's what we got. I liked changing up the second half of the verse with a fun solo under the vocals.

Whispers - this was the hardest song to record guitars for. It was very difficult to find the right EQ for the lead parts, which are actually played in somewhat lower registers, that kept them well articulated but also didn't get thin and nasal sounding. First try was using a TS type boost into my dirty sound, and when we got the finished product back, didn't care for it. Ended up re-recording the guitar parts using a Tumnus to keep the mid push but shift it down and add some thickness, and it was much better. Our buddy that wrote the outro killed it.

Monster - This was the most complex song I've ever written, much of the intro and verses are two harmonized, heavy, guitar parts, and I'm just floored at how they turned out combined with the MT15. I also did something atypical (for me) and threw some off-key/modal notes, to play on the theme of the song, evils and unacceptable thoughts and behaviors that lurk inside us.

Buried and Alive - I've been kicking the chorus riff around for a long time, and knew I wanted to use it for something, happy to see it finally come to life. In fact, we worked on this song for quite a while trying to figure out the right verse to go with it, and the best thing ended up being to keep it simple. Long guitar solo in the middle that ramps up into the last chorus in a cool way, used a descending tap line that turned out pretty cool.

Thanks for checking it out!

Vacation. Got one more day. Spent a lot of time the last two nights sorting CDs into new cabinets.
Next week for me. No real plans other than taking the pup to the vet, maybe go see Incubus. Tie up up some loose ends on the pedalboard. I should work on the basement which is a train wreck.

Today’s the last day. On the plus side, not taking vacation through the year means I have a lot left. I think I only have to work 20 days the rest of the year - and no Mondays!

Back