OT: I live in town with this...

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I live in a small town of 18,000, but still think it’s wild that I’m in the city limits and have this in my backyard.

Well, one of the babies (Polka or Dot) thought, “What the heck is that thing?” And came to investigate:

Upon further review, It decided it didn’t want any part of Bernice, my pet wild turkey, after all:

Last edited:
I live in a small town of 18,000, but still think it’s wild that I’m in the city limits and have this in my backyard.

Well, one of the babies (Polka or Dot) thought, “What the heck is that thing?” And came to investigate:

Upon further review, It decided it didn’t want any part of Bernice, my pet wild turkey, after all:

I'd love to live in a place where I don't have to go out to get supper for the table but rather, supper brings itself to the supper table.

I keep a feeder going year round. I bought a tiller for my tractor so this year they’ll have a couple of acre food plot to keep them happy. I like looking out the back and watching the wildlife.
I love venison but the deer that come up in my yard are safe. Coyotes on the other hand...

In reality, I think it's awesome that you have natural wildlife that visit your backyard. Locally, we have wildlife, too, but it's more often black bear, coyotes, foxes, possums, skunks, and raccoons.

Our apartment complex strongly suggests NOT feeding these because it causes the animals to become emboldened and develop a distorted sense of boundary that can cause conflict if an animal approached a human. Case in point, we've had several local reports of black bears invading people's homes, opening their screen doors and ransacking kitchens for food. Not to mention coyotes and foxes attacking your pet "Fluffy." The remainder usually forage for rodents and trash receptacles.

Deer and turkeys I personally have no issue with. They might munch on your favorite shrubs or berry bushes. It's the wildlife that are also carnivores that could pose a problem. Turkeys can waddle all day long and enjoy the scenery. They receive a free hall pass in my book.

Back