Ornamentally Afflicted

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
I made an addition to my music area. I’ve been buying (too many) ornaments from Hallmark over the years, especially Batman ones. So I figured out a way to display them. Two screws, some fishing line, a little bit of painter’s tape and...

orn1.jpg

orn2.jpg
orn3.jpg
orn4.jpg

That’s not everything - I have some stuff that’s packed away that’ll be coming out next month. I also have a Michigan J. Frog that won’t go on the line because it plays “Hello My Baby”, and I need to have it where I can play the song at will. The Batman guitar is musical, but it’s not the TV version of the theme, so I won’t play it as much. I had to put the painter’s tape on there because the line wasn’t as taut as I thought it was, so the ornaments were sliding down towards the middle.

And yes, that is a signed Dr. Demento pic and Rodney Dangerfield behind the Kiss action figures.

My brother was a big Dr Demento fan back in the day. Haven’t thought about the good Dr in a long time!

When I was a little kid, the children’s dentist I went to hung little model airplanes and other memorabilia from the ceiling of his dental facility.

In those days, many (if not most) children’s dentists did not believe in using Novocain. So dental visits were incredibly painful.

The little toys and models hanging from the ceiling did not in fact distract the children from the knowledge that their dentist was probably the Nazi war criminal, Dr. Szell (Marathon Man).

In fact, seeing these items hanging from your ceiling just caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

“OK, you can take the straitjacket off him. He’s sedated. Now, Les, Dr. Freud is going to come into the room to talk with you for a few minutes. He’s very nice, and says he knows you. Do you want to talk with him?”

“Gaaaaaahhhhhhh!! Toys from ceiling! Toys from ceiling! Is it safe? Is it safe? Yes send in Dr. Freud!”

“Les, it’s Dr. Freud. You remember me?”

“Yes, of course.....ddddoooctor Freud....toys hanging from ceiling! Is it safe? Der Weisse Engel! Der Weisse Engel”

“Now, Les, you’ve been through a lot today. Would you like to lie down and talk about it?”

“I saw pictures of toys...hanging from ceiling...is it safe, is it safe? Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhrrrrghhh! The mean dentist!! Nooooo! Der Weisse Engel!”

“Let’s start at the beginning, Les. Dr. Szell was a movie character. In fact Marathon Man was probably one of the last movies you saw, am I right? Now, what do you remember about your relationship with your mother?”

Last edited:
When I was a little kid, the children’s dentist I went to hung little model airplanes and other memorabilia from the ceiling of his dental facility.

In those days, many (if not most) children’s dentists did not believe in using Novocain. So dental visits were incredibly painful.

The little toys and models hanging from the ceiling did not in fact distract the children from the knowledge that their dentist was probably the Nazi war criminal, Dr. Szell (Marathon Man).

In fact, seeing these items hanging from your ceiling just caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

“OK, you can take the straitjacket off him. He’s sedated. Now, Les, Dr. Freud is going to come into the room to talk with you for a few minutes. He’s very nice, and says he knows you. Do you want to talk with him?”

“Gaaaaaahhhhhhh!! Toys from ceiling! Toys from ceiling! Is it safe? Is it safe? Yes send in Dr. Freud!”

“Yes, of course.....ddddoooctor Freud....toys hanging from ceiling! Is it safe? Der Weisse Engel! Der Weisse Engel”

“Now, Les, you’ve been through a lot today. Would you like to lie down and talk about it?”

“I saw pictures of toys...hanging from ceiling...is it safe, is it safe? Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhrrrrghhh! The mean dentist!! Nooooo! Der Weisse Engel!”

“Let’s start at the beginning, Les. Dr. Szell was a movie character. In fact Marathon Man was probably one of the last movies you saw, am I right? Now, what do you remember about your relationship with your mother?”

That explains a lot - I've noticed since I put them up there that my bad playing bothers me less. Distraction!!!

My brother was a big Dr Demento fan back in the day. Haven’t thought about the good Dr in a long time!

I used to sit up with a boom box, record the whole show, then spend the week editing the songs I wanted to another tape. I still have about 21 hours of stuff, including a few things that are no longer available, like the original full version of "Existential Blues" by Tom "T-bone" Stankus (he had to take out the "Impossible Dream" sections) and a "We Are The World" parody called "We Are The Worms". Dr. Demento played a very short clip of the second at the live show I was at (he opened for Weird Al) and said that he played it on the show once and received a cease and desist letter a couple days later. I also have what I think may be the darkest he ever got - he had a segment called the Audio Torture Chamber. One minute of the worst recordings ever. It was mostly home recording type stuff, or things like records made at recording booths at amusement parks. One week he played a chunk of "Free Form Guitar" from the Chicago Transit Authority album. He then proceeded to say, "That's so bad it makes you want to put a bullet in your head, which is what Terry Kath did a few years after this came out."

My dentist office now has 45 inch flat screens on the ceiling above the patient chair. Nothing beats watching the Food Network while you're getting a cleaning.

While we're talking about childhood Doctors, my optometrist was Dr. Wink. His motto, of course, was "Don't Blink. See Wink." His office weirded me out a bit. He was a world traveler and adorned his office with odd pieces from around the world.

My dentist office now has 45 inch flat screens on the ceiling above the patient chair. Nothing beats watching the Food Network while you're getting a cleaning.

While we're talking about childhood Doctors, my optometrist was Dr. Wink. His motto, of course, was "Don't Blink. See Wink." His office weirded me out a bit. He was a world traveler and adorned his office with odd pieces from around the world.

That actually sounds pretty interesting! BTW, when I first got in the ad music biz, one of my friends came up with an ad for me: “Work Les, get more.”

Is this why you don’t hang guitars on the wall? ;):D

Back