Orlando

ozboy

Thinking about Orlando, Wolf Mail, by coincidence, a couple days sent me this blues clip of his mate "Kid Ramos" playing some excellent, lazy blues at an Orlando fair. Can't think of a Blues muso who wouldn't be happy with this playing.

If 50 soldiers were killed on duty in a war in Afghanistan it would be a major drama. This incident will no doubt soon pass into history.

I have no words. RIP to my 50 fellow countrypeople. May this wave after wave of psychopathy end soon.

I have no words. RIP to my 50 fellow countrypeople. May this wave after wave of psychopathy end soon.

Psychopaths and haters wanting to commit mass murder can't be wished away, unfortunately.

If solutions exist - if - our society isn't ready to discuss them in a meaningful way.

Heartbroken.....no words. Just sad and pissed that the madness continues.

Psychopaths and haters wanting to commit mass murder can't be wished away, unfortunately.

If solutions exist - if - our society isn't ready to discuss them in a meaningful way.
I concur completely. But if the cause is desire for attention or to gain infamy, I'd rather make it as negative as possible, and downplay any rational or individual thought on their part at all, and just lump them into the general category of "psychopaths" and "terrorists".

The most frustrating thing, to me, aside from the obvious violence and sadness, is that our nation has become so polarized. Being moderate just doesn't seem to cut it with the masses anymore. Maybe it's been that way for a long time and I'm just becoming old enough to realize it, I don't know. But so many people seem to be incapable of endorsing an idea or belief without taking it to the absolute extreme, and also incapable of seeing the value of working with our friends and neighbors who have other convictions. It's frustrating that so many people lack the maturity to have a rational view instead of taking things to unnecessary and unhealthy extremes. And finding solutions with those who have different beliefs. It's simultaneously why these problems exist, and why they can't be solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the "causes" and "solutions" to events like what happened in Orland are hopelessly mired in the quagmire of polarized religious and political debate.

We cannot/will not debate those things here for two very good reasons:
1. We will not solve it here.
2. The rules prohibit such debate.

We can express our grief/sorrow/anger/condolences.
We can donate to the victims and their families.
We will hug our own all that much tighter.

Both the "causes" and "solutions" to events like what happened in Orland are hopelessly mired in the quagmire of polarized religious and political debate.

We cannot/will not debate those things here for two very good reasons:
1. We will not solve it here.
2. The rules prohibit such debate.

We can express our grief/sorrow/anger/condolences.
We can donate to the victims and their families.
We will hug our own all that much tighter.

THIS

Apologies... wasn't trying to start a debate or solve anything, just stating frustration and attempting to do so in an unbiased way.

Andy, it's cool.

I understand that its very hard to talk about this kind of thing without getting into it. Look at my post in #9... These incidents push our buttons in so many different ways, and all at once.

Both the "causes" and "solutions" to events like what happened in Orland are hopelessly mired in the quagmire of polarized religious and political debate..

I was not proposing a political or religious discussion at all. Antisocial, psychopathic violence isn't prevented with the stroke of a political pen or a religious encyclical. The history of the world has amply proven this. In fact, these things have not done a darn thing to stop these acts from taking place around the globe, whether as individual acts, or government-sanctioned mass murders (think Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler, Bosnia).

Recent history has demonstrated that laws invoked to prevent terrorist acts or murders are nothing more than a feel-good band aid. Religion, being something psychopaths hang their hat on to justify violence, is an even less effective attempt at a solution, since religious laws have no possibility of being interpreted in a uniform way or even enforced (just think of the many religions, offshoots, splinter groups, cults and other such things in the world if you need proof of this).

I'll put it this way: you can't cure a disease whose etiology you don't understand. In a similar way, you can't solve a problem like this with the stroke of a legal pen, or some sort of religious encyclical. Neither of these things get to the root causes of psychopathic, antisocial, mass killings.

It's quite clear that we, the world, not just the US, haven't solved the problem because we don't know for sure what it really is. This is why I said our society isn't ready to deal meaningfully with it. To do so requires a dispassionate evaluation of an awful lot of data, and a great amount of study, far more than is being given.

So the solution to this problem isn't merely political or religious.

It's difficult to understand why this kind of act appeals to sick people in the first place. But that's the information that's needed.

Instead, a crisis blows over, and we stick our collective heads back in the sand, hoping that another one won't happen. But it does, and will again because we don't know how to prevent it. You can't stop it if you don't fully understand the cause of it.

My post was not aimed at you, Les.

It was merely a reminder of discussion restraints, prompted by a different post.

It was also not a call to just let it all blow over and forget it. I'll be working my usual non-forum avenues searching for and hopefully helping mold the direction of "solutions" I may find effective or not, appropriate or not. There won't be any head in the sand for me, just that my fellow forum members will not hear of what I'm doing here.

My post was not aimed at you, Les.

It was merely a reminder of discussion restraints, prompted by a different post.

It was also not a call to just let it all blow over and forget it. I'll be working my usual non-forum avenues searching for and hopefully helping mold the direction of "solutions" I may find effective or not, appropriate or not. There won't be any head in the sand for me, just that my fellow forum members will not hear of what I'm doing here.

Just wanted to make clear I wasn't trying to make a political point. Thanks for understanding!

My heart goes out to all those affected by the abhorrent violence in Orlando.

Back