Original McCarty archtop. 594 version. Want.

Tag

I remember a few guys on here had the original archtops. The one that was like the hollowbodys but an inch thicker I think.
Like them? More than a HB?? I would like my next PS to be that one I think, but possibly in a 594 version. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for help with this hard to find model.

I’ve had two, Tag. One was a PS Baritone Archtop that weighed about 20 lbs, the other was a more traditional model. I really dug the traditional one, it sounded more woody than the various HB Spruces, I’s and II’s I’ve owned. Sold it to help fund a house purchase, miss it terribly but know it’s in great hands with another forumite here. Wish I could be of more help.

Reactions: Tag
I have one along with an early hollow body.
I like mine but don’t play it nearly as much as the hollow body. I feel the Archtop is much more specialized and a bit more work to play.

I kind of want to say the hollow body is kind of like a Masters degree, in that it is broadening. The Archtop is like a PhD, which generally narrows your field. Ok, perhaps not very helpful. The hollow body is much more versatile and I could probably cover 60% of what I want to play. The Archtop maybe 10-15%. Really good guitar, but specialized.

I like mine but don’t play it nearly as much as the hollow body. I feel the Archtop is much more specialized and a bit more work to play.

I kind of want to say the hollow body is kind of like a Masters degree, in that it is broadening. The Archtop is like a PhD, which generally narrows your field. Ok, perhaps not very helpful. The hollow body is much more versatile and I could probably cover 60% of what I want to play. The Archtop maybe 10-15%. Really good guitar, but specialized.

Thanks guys! Any further opinions would be really helpful.

That 10-15% I am thinking may be my 80%!
I live on the neck pup clean 80% of the time.
Yes, no???

Thanks guys! Any further opinions would be really helpful.

That 10-15% I am thinking may be my 80%!
I live on the neck pup clean 80% of the time.
Yes, no???
I always have the neck pickup on and you get a nice jazzy clean sound. If that is your place, it could be very good for you. I forget where you are, but you could always come and try mine.

I always have the neck pickup on and you get a nice jazzy clean sound. If that is your place, it could be very good for you. I forget where you are, but you could always come and try mine.

I am in Oakland NJ. Are you anywhere near that?? That would be fantastic! I have never even seen one in person except in a glass case at PRS.
o_O

It's not related to your initial question, but I've recently played two JA-15 guitars, both were excellent. One was a core and the other was a PS with a one piece bridge that had piezo. I could see a JA-15 594 being awesome.

I am in Oakland NJ. Are you anywhere near that?? That would be fantastic! I have never even seen one in person except in a glass case at PRS.
o_O
Not close for many, but I’ve gone farther to try a guitar. I’m just outside of Toronto, Ontario.

Coincidentally, there’s one in a glass case in Canada!
Sorry, it got bumped for the etched resonator.

It's not related to your initial question, but I've recently played two JA-15 guitars, both were excellent. One was a core and the other was a PS with a one piece bridge that had piezo. I could see a JA-15 594 being awesome.
Yes, it could be. That would probably be the way I would go if I was building a jazz box, and didn’t already know where to find the perfect one for me (Moore’s).

@Tag - if you do a road trip to Evansville to try a JA-15, jfb and I will meet you there. You can spend an afternoon with the JA and my Archtop and see what speaks to you.

Hmmmm....I've been interested in tracking down a good archtop...would you sell???? :D

Not close for many, but I’ve gone farther to try a guitar. I’m just outside of Toronto, Ontario.

Sorry, it got bumped for the etched resonator.

Yes, it could be. That would probably be the way I would go if I was building a jazz box, and didn’t already know where to find the perfect one for me (Moore’s).

@Tag - if you do a road trip to Evansville to try a JA-15, jfb and I will meet you there. You can spend an afternoon with the JA and my Archtop and see what speaks to you.

I'd be down for sure. I'm going again pretty soon and I'm flexible on dates if anyone wants to meet up and do a hang.

So Tag, I turned new 12s on the Archtop this morning and recorded a simple, short sample. Yes, I’ll trim the string ends when I’m finished stabilizing them.
A short bit of fingerstyle chromatic, then a bit of single note picking (part of a song I wrote with a friend in Ottawa).
Since you care about such things, my Archtop has simple posts in the centre, as does my older hollowbody. If it is useful to you I can make a similar sample with the hollowbody. Sound is from the Boogie on the right - with dragons on top.
I’ll probably kill the video once you’ve had a chance to listen, or not.

And just in case some of you haven't seen much of an Archtop.
CK_127ArchtopSide.JPG

and a nicely carved back - by no means a 10 top, but I like the various patterns going on in the grain.
CK_128ArchtopBackAAA.JPG

I have one from the later, limited 'Archtop Jazz' edition. It's all original with the McCarty Archtop pickups, and has what I feel is essential to its sound, a spruce top. This guitar just works! That signature resonance you can only get from a spruce top pairs perfectly with the slightly underwound archtop pickups, and while I originally planned to install a set of 53/10s I had waiting, it sounded so perfect that keeping it stock was a no-brainer. It also came with a PS level form fitted suede case.

It's definitely a jazz oriented beast though, with a deep, reedy tenor, and is somewhat prone to feedback, but not as readily as larger archtops like an ES175.. It also has the piezo option which is great to blend in for rhythm and chording applications. Its relatively compact size makes it a lot of fun to play, and I enjoy playing mine so much that my sumptuous Gibson CS Byrdland just sits in its case and will soon be up for sale.

I think an Archtop would be a great platform for a PS piece and be way more versatile than most would imagine, but again, IMO it's the spruce top with its willing and distinctive resonance that contributes a uniquely special voice.

Back