Ordering a CE with Pickup Covers?

Charles Donovan

I have been thinking about ordering a new PRS for a while now, and was originally set on an S2 Cu22 Semihollow, but swapping out the pickups for an American set. Recently I found the CE 24, and have been leaning more towards that one. I only have one issue, though, and it's that I'm not the biggest fan of uncovered pickups. If I end up ordering the CE, would I be able to have covers thrown on? I liked the sound of the 85/15s and don't plan on swapping them out (until I can afford to spend a bit more money :rolleyes:). While I think the uncovered set looks much better on the CE than the S2 Cu22, I would still like to know if covers are a possibility from the factory or from the retailer I plan on purchasing from (Dave's Guitar Shop, Lacrosse).

I did a quick mock-up of what it would look like, and I think it looks pretty good, bar the strings at the pickups due to my photoshop skills!
open

Thank you

I don' think you can put covers on the square bobbin pickups. At least I haven't seen any covers offered for those.

Nope. However, I find the squabbins look great though. Very "finished" looking compared to your typical open coil pickups.

Nope. However, I find the squabbins look great though. Very "finished" looking compared to your typical open coil pickups.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I've always been a covered pickup guy so I needed to know :D

Keep in mind that covers change the sound of the pickup. If you liked the way the 85/15s sounded, covered 85/15s (aka, 58/15s) will sound different. Rolled off highs and honkier midrange.

I didn't know that 58/15s existed! I looked them up and they sounded pretty good as well, but I couldn't find a video comparison between the 85/15 and 58/15. I'll probably have to ask the retailer how much it would cost to cover them or swap them. Hopefully not too much!

You won't be able to put covers on the 85/15 pickups. The squabbins are the same size as a regular humbucker pickup with covers on.

Shawn confirmed in a recent thread that the 58/15 is very similar, but there's more to it than just being a covered 85/15. I agree with Screamingdaisy on the difference in sound. They are not available separately from PRS, so you'd have to snag a used set.

There are a gajillion covered humbuckers on the market, so you could surely get something afterwards if you just HAVE to have covers. I encourage you to give the 85/15 set a shot, though. They sound great and the overall design works really well. The tops of the squabbins are slightly arched. On my CU22 with trem, they sit low in the rings, neck is about flush and bridge only slighly above, so there's none of that tape-wrapped coil with a gap around it look.

9 times or of 10, if I don't like the stock pickups, my guitar will have a set of hand wound custom pickups from www.Zhangbucker.com . I've been ordering and using his pickups for about 8 years now. Takes a couple months to get them, but oh my are they worth it!!! Not much more than a set of SD's...

Get the "splat" coil tap option. You get to help pick where it pulls out the next coil depending on how much umph you want for output on the tap.

You won't be able to put covers on the 85/15 pickups. The squabbins are the same size as a regular humbucker pickup with covers on.

Shawn confirmed in a recent thread that the 58/15 is very similar, but there's more to it than just being a covered 85/15. I agree with Screamingdaisy on the difference in sound. They are not available separately from PRS, so you'd have to snag a used set.

There are a gajillion covered humbuckers on the market, so you could surely get something afterwards if you just HAVE to have covers. I encourage you to give the 85/15 set a shot, though. They sound great and the overall design works really well. The tops of the squabbins are slightly arched. On my CU22 with trem, they sit low in the rings, neck is about flush and bridge only slighly above, so there's none of that tape-wrapped coil with a gap around it look.

Thanks for the feedback! I did see that thread when I was looking for info on the 58/15s. And yeah, the main turn away for me for uncovered is that gap. My first guitar was some Ibanez Micro with uncovered pickups from a long time ago and, while it served me really well, I started to destroy the exposed outer wrap part which was upsetting since I loved it. Guess I haven't really minded the uncovered look on my Strat since the edged are covered in the same plastic, too. I will definitely consider looking for a used set if I need to.

If it helps, here's my Custom 22. I have not touched the height on the neck pickup. I lowered the treble side of the bridge pickup a little. I happened to look at a bunch of new CE's lately and some were about the same, while some had the bridge pickup a little higher.

It's very sleek, IMO.

YTFnUdTh.jpg

9dB0QA6h.jpg
Oh - are the squabbins radiused to match the fretboard? Looks like it. I've only owned PRS from before the squabbins came out. (This reminds me the first set I ever saw was walking past a window display in Denmark Street, London. I immediate reaction was 'What the heck are those!!??' (or something similar).

9 times or of 10, if I don't like the stock pickups, my guitar will have a set of hand wound custom pickups from www.Zhangbucker.com . I've been ordering and using his pickups for about 8 years now. Takes a couple months to get them, but oh my are they worth it!!! Not much more than a set of SD's...

Get the "splat" coil tap option. You get to help pick where it pulls out the next coil depending on how much umph you want for output on the tap.

Just ordered a set last week after going back and forth with him for just about as long. What a great guy. Really wants to make sure you get what you're looking for. Now I just have to wait 8-10 weeks for the goodness!

Oh - are the squabbins radiused to match the fretboard? Looks like it. I've only owned PRS from before the squabbins came out. (This reminds me the first set I ever saw was walking past a window display in Denmark Street, London. I immediate reaction was 'What the heck are those!!??' (or something similar).
Yup there a little bit arched... my custom 24 with 85/15s looks just like that with the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup just slightly elevated too.

I have been thinking about ordering a new PRS for a while now, and was originally set on an S2 Cu22 Semihollow, but swapping out the pickups for an American set. Recently I found the CE 24, and have been leaning more towards that one. I only have one issue, though, and it's that I'm not the biggest fan of uncovered pickups. If I end up ordering the CE, would I be able to have covers thrown on? I liked the sound of the 85/15s and don't plan on swapping them out (until I can afford to spend a bit more money :rolleyes:). While I think the uncovered set looks much better on the CE than the S2 Cu22, I would still like to know if covers are a possibility from the factory or from the retailer I plan on purchasing from (Dave's Guitar Shop, Lacrosse).

I did a quick mock-up of what it would look like, and I think it looks pretty good, bar the strings at the pickups due to my photoshop skills!
open

Thank you

There are a few limited runs out there with PRS pickups with covers.

58/15LT’s at Wilcutt
http://willcuttguitars.com/paul-reed-smith/ce

57/08’s at Wild West Guitar
https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/s2-and-ce

Just ordered a set last week after going back and forth with him for just about as long. What a great guy. Really wants to make sure you get what you're looking for. Now I just have to wait 8-10 weeks for the goodness!

I'll be highly shocked if you don't love them. I get the "splat" tap option every time, and I finally bought a set of Pure Wounds the last go around. I've never gotten a bad pickup from Zhangbucker.com.

I'll be highly shocked if you don't love them. I get the "splat" tap option every time, and I finally bought a set of Pure Wounds the last go around. I've never gotten a bad pickup from Zhangbucker.com.

Nice. I went old school two wire braid, pure wound. Brownbucker A4 for the bridge and Pagey 2 A3 for the neck.

Nice. I went old school two wire braid, pure wound. Brownbucker A4 for the bridge and Pagey 2 A3 for the neck.

Ooooooo... Shiney......

You should have a blast with those! I've tried all kinds of magnet materials all the way through A5 on his pickups! I've never bought a pickup I didn't love in a guitar I own.

Really love the way he "interviews" you about what you're looking for in pickups. You'll have to try a splat pair down the road. Don't have to use the tap, but it's always there dangling and waiting for the soldering iron. Hehehe

Back