Options for finish touch ups

Qikshift

The Lefty Horror
Hello,

To those who remember, I recently purchased a 2004 Custom 22 Lefty in Raspberry. The guitar is beautiful and to me is a forever guitar. However there are minor dings in the finish top and while it’s not important now, I’d like to be restored in the future. I called customer service and they did state that it would have to be a complete refinish for the guitar and it would not be the old poly finish but the nitro over CAB. They also could not guarantee the ability to refinish in the discontinued color. So I was wondering if anyone here could point me to a trusted finish person in the community who knows how to fix these minor dings? I also was going to call PRS to see if they can just redo the clear coat but I think it would only be a complete finish redone. Any suggestions is appreciated and this is not me angry at PRS/PTC as I know it’s time consuming for finish work. Thanks guys!!

On poly, any touch-up attempts will still show some difference, such as drop fills, even if it is relatively nominal. Other reputable refinishers like Pat Wilkins will say pretty much the same thing. I've gotten some minor dents buffed out on an older core I bought awhile back, bu even then they don't 100% go away despite at least being less annoying IMO.
I wasn't aware PTC dabbles in discontinued finishes, but that does bring up another point on the side worth mentioning no matter who you send it to. Can it be refinished and still look great? Of course. The part that kind of sucks is color matching. There's no 100% guarantee of getting those trans + stained finishes exactly as it was before even if it's the same dye.
Even stripping off the clear to re-clear it has been a mixed bag as a whole. I've seen some that come off relatively cleanly. I've seen others where the finish breaks off into chunks, either in this process or the wear and tear of playing the crap out of it, and all that's left in its place is pretty much bare wood (especially with Fenders).

On poly, any touch-up attempts will still show some difference, such as drop fills, even if it is relatively nominal. Other reputable refinishers like Pat Wilkins will say pretty much the same thing. I've gotten some minor dents buffed out on an older core I bought awhile back, bu even then they don't 100% go away despite at least being less annoying IMO.
I wasn't aware PTC dabbles in discontinued finishes, but that does bring up another point on the side worth mentioning no matter who you send it to. Can it be refinished and still look great? Of course. The part that kind of sucks is color matching. There's no 100% guarantee of getting those trans + stained finishes exactly as it was before even if it's the same dye.
Even stripping off the clear to re-clear it has been a mixed bag as a whole. I've seen some that come off relatively cleanly. I've seen others where the finish breaks off into chunks, either in this process or the wear and tear of playing the crap out of it, and all that's left in its place is pretty much bare wood (especially with Fenders).
Well my thought would be if I could only have the clear coat stripped. However, I am not knowledgeable in finish work so I'm probably incorrect in thinking that. And even if that would be an option, the PTC would most likely not do it.

Well my thought would be if I could only have the clear coat stripped. However, I am not knowledgeable in finish work so I'm probably incorrect in thinking that. And even if that would be an option, the PTC would most likely not do it.
Stripping the clear coat will inevitably take color off the stained wood. Just the way it goes.

I'd do it, but I'm not all that fussy about retaining the original color. You may feel quite differently!

Back