Opportunity to buy an Employee Guitar

thesuperzman

Ok guitarist 25 years looking to be better
Gang,

I have a rare opportunity to buy a Singlecut Hollowbody I Employee guitar. Trying to a gauge on the value, at the price I'm being offered. Assuming the employee didn't make outrageous differences (e.g. wood type, and I can't tell from the pictures), what kind of price or premium should I expect? Its a 10-Top

My presumption is to jump on an opportunity to buy one of these rare employee guitars. They will probably appreciate over time, I'd think.

Being slightly vague because I don't know what the expectations are with the employee guitars (e.g. open to sell them, etc.)

Last edited:
That model is already uncommon as I believe they only built those in 2008 and 2009. No idea on price but if I were in the market for another one and it wasn't terribly over "normal" pricing (difficult to tell given how few seem to be sold) I'd buy it.

That model is already uncommon as I believe they only built those in 2008 and 2009. No idea on price but if I were in the market for another one and it wasn't terribly over "normal" pricing (difficult to tell given how few seem to be sold) I'd buy it.
Just got the tag - its a 2009 so its the I - which I sounds, from all I've read, is the better version..a bit warmer (very subjectively). Thank you for the feedback.

My presumption is to jump on an opportunity to buy one of these rare employee guitars. They will probably appreciate over time, I'd think.

Being slightly vague because I don't know what the expectations are with the employee guitars
Employee guitars for the first few rounds (2 years, maybe 5 years? etc) are "just" core guitars, and someone puts the employee's name on the headstock and PRSh signs it.

So to me, they hold no special value over any other core guitar, though having Paul's signature is kinda cool. Only at 20 years do the employees get PS-like appointments, IIRC.

SC HBs are relatively rare (for no good reason, IMHO - I have one, a SC HB II, and it rawks!). So compare to the used market, do some standard discounting, and if you are comfortable with the price, go ahead.

Employee guitars for the first few rounds (2 years, maybe 5 years? etc) are "just" core guitars, and someone puts the employee's name on the headstock and PRSh signs it.

So to me, they hold no special value over any other core guitar, though having Paul's signature is kinda cool. Only at 20 years do the employees get PS-like appointments, IIRC.

SC HBs are relatively rare (for no good reason, IMHO - I have one, a SC HB II, and it rawks!). So compare to the used market, do some standard discounting, and if you are comfortable with the price, go ahead.
Great insight. Thank you. I think it was a 5 year guitar around 2008-2010. Looks pretty stock, but difficult to know for sure. So I've been reviewing them against the 'regular' vs. employee model and the deal is good. But not amazing.

I'm a lucky guy that lives about 2 miles from the factory, so I have quite a few signatures from Paul over the years on various equipment. If it materially enhances value, it's worth it to me...but just for the signature, not as interested.

I'm a bit strapped on the cash front, but this one looks to be priced well below market, so if I know it holds its value, to me its almost a no-brainer.

I can’t predict the future, but I also can’t imagine that it would lose any more value than a core SC HB I, either.

I agree with this. Even if it's a one-off, I don't think it would carry a premium. The way I'm thinking is that the additional "value" is sentimental and unless they're a really famous person, I think the value would be the same as it's core counterpart.

However, if there are special appointments from the factory that are different, THAT could hold some value.

I agree an employee guitar doesn't hold a premium. The only person an employee guitar means more to is possibly the employee, but obviously not too much since they sold it or are selling it.

Thank you all. I see the S1's from 2008 go for about 4-5K (just saying that, must be reverb over pricing..seem closer to 2K and thus not a deal). I will be able to get this one between 1.5-2.5K (probably closer to the 2.5).

If it holds its value - seems to be a no brainer to buy, unless the 'To....' on the headstock drives DOWN the price.

Early employee guitars were like early Private Stocks: Awesome.

Now: Meh.

I wouldn’t say there’s any value added in an employee guitar, unless it has both birds and moons or a pot leaf.
What would you call early? This is a 2008. Only moons. I haven't a chance to play it yet, but should this weekend. If it plays like a private stock. My guess this is a 'later' one.

I've always felt that the employee guitars got more TLC and are indeed kinda special.

I know nothing of the used guitar market, but to me, the market value is irrelevant. The folks who worked on the guitar knew it was for one of their people.

I'll bet it's an excellent instrument!

Early employee guitars were like early Private Stocks: Awesome.

Now: Meh.

I wouldn’t say there’s any value added in an employee guitar, unless it has both birds and moons or a pot leaf.
This one brought you to mind… though not for the price! A “different“ Santana

Back