opinions on veneer choice for pickguard

Luminandy

Hello, I posted about my new axe last week. I didn't think I would be starting this so soon, but I hacked the pickguard even more to fit my gk3 in there, and the humbucker is not secured very well. It plays awesome and sounds great, just a bit unsightly. I have a piece of Baltic birch ply on the way, and narrowed down my choices on veneer to a royal blue quilt and Santos Rosewood. Leaning towards the rosewood, but the blue really pops. Was wwondering what the experts might think, so here I am.

Spill some dark red wine on the blue quilt.

No, seriously, looking at the guitar, I think the blue would look out of place, I think I'd like the wooden-looking veneer.

Wooden veneer will clash with the neck.

Blue veneer isn't my bag.

I want one made out of leather.
I had one piece that had a skin like appearance. I'm glad to get some insight. I have some lighter pieces, splat, birdseye ect. I will go through those, and pick a couple more, and post a pic. The maple pieces are a bit brighter than the neck, however, I could always use a light stain before I varnish.

Here are some more that are closer to maple.
I am thinking the ones all the way to the right and left are closest.
I think any of those would work nicely. I find the one on the extreme left of the photo particularly interesting - depends a bit on what features would end up on the pick guard, but I would draw it up on that one first to find an orientation that works.

Very nice! Tough call. I would vote far right with the lower portion, or far left. From the pics, I looks like the fret board has some nice wear on it. I'd use which ever of those two matches the tint of the wear the closest.

="veinbuster, post: 286123, member: 783"]I think any of those would work nicely. I find the one on the extreme left of the photo particularly interesting - depends a bit on what features would end up on the pick guard, but I would draw it up on that one first to find an orientation that works.
That is the kind that I have the most of. My cousin put it on a Tele we put together. I think I will have to get them outside with some good light to really see. I might as well just make a few if the first one goes well.

After looking at these pictures, I like the flame maple veneer the best.
It's always hard when working with a black body guitar. I usually like to keep black guitars more simple.
Maybe staining the flame maple veneer to be a transparent black finish would go more with how the guitar already looks.
Then shoot the stained maple veneer with just enough clear to preserve it against pick scratches.

In any event, good luck with your choice. I'm sure it will come out well, no matter what you finally decide to do.

I like the left three. I actually prefer either the flame or the maple, but I also think the burl is the best choice, since you don't have to worry about bookmatching.

I, too, prefer the original black, and would like a dark red tortoise or black pearloid would look awesome.

But I'm serious about spilling wine, even on one of these naturals, wine is one of my favouritest colours. After blurple.

Back