Opinions from my brothers that use true bypass loopers on their pedal boards

south89

So I'm thinking about getting either the Boss ES 8 or the RJM PBC but I have never used a true bypass looper on my pedal board. I'm trying to eliminate noise and be able to switch from multiple effects to another sound by just hitting one switch. I also want to be able to control the channel switching on my Archon. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used one but my only advice is to make sure that the switched is compatible with the switching of the Archon. Best talk to Customer Service to see how the switching works (latching or momentary) and then check with the manufacturer to see if their product is compatible.

RJM make some fantastic stuff so I'd probably be swayed in that direction if I was in the market.

The Carl Martin Octa-Switch 3 looks really cool and simple too, not as powerful/versatile, but it may suit your needs better?

I've often used loopers but not the ones that can switch your amp settings. My current one has two sets of loops, but right now it isn't on the board because I'm out of room.

They're very useful IMHO.

Happy to chime in, I've had both the octaswitch, and currently use the Es-8. Both are brilliant systems and have their uses.

The octaswitch is knuckle head simple (in the best way), no menus to navigate, physical switches that would be simple to replace, and built like a tank. For me the only downside was being limited to 8 core sounds and it could only switch 2 channels on my amp (it has 3 + reverb)

The Es-8 is a different beast that allows 99 banks of 8 presets, midi control, reordering of pedals per patch and multiple control options. But the learning curve can be steep

Hi Matt. No offense but how dare you own the most amazing PRS Privatestock I have ever seen in my entire lifetime! Plus an amazing PRS Archon. How is the PRS and Archon going together these days? I am purchasing a PRS Archon 100 Head tomorrow. I have a BOSS ES-8 and I think its great. I bought it for very similar reasons you are wanting one. Great looping pedal very reliable and rugged plus excellent features too, switches multiple pedals seamlessly. Great carry over effect too (switching from delay to non-delay patch carries over for a few seconds, doesn't stop dead). In any case I am new to loopers too and although it requires a slight learning curve, it is totally worthwhile. It switches amps and amp channels too. I plan to run a Mesa Mark V with the PRS Archon 100 to cover clean, rhythm and lead sounds. What are your thoughts on the Archon as a clean/lead amp head?

I just added one to my board to run a rack mounted delay. Searched online and found Saturnworks Pedals (http://saturnworkspedals.com) here in California. Bryan was quick to respond and his prices were unbeatable. I requested a custom configuration of the jacks, and because it was a relatively simple customization he was able to build and ship in less than a week. (Bottom left of the board).

I just added one to my board to run a rack mounted delay. Searched online and found Saturnworks Pedals (http://saturnworkspedals.com) here in California. Bryan was quick to respond and his prices were unbeatable. I requested a custom configuration of the jacks, and because it was a relatively simple customization he was able to build and ship in less than a week. (Bottom left of the board).

Nice, small, switch box! I like that!

Reactions: LJD
I use the Boss ES-8 as well. It's awesome. The best part about it is being able to customize the order of the effect chain per preset (including amp channels.) Here is a slightly out-of-date photo of how I had it set up for my last gig:

Pedalboard.thumb.jpg.ff3b417759ae09b6fc683bfb7fcded39.jpg

The octaswitch is knuckle head simple, no menus to navigate, physical switches that would be simple to replace. For me the only downside was being limited to 8 core sounds and it could only switch 2 channels on my amp (it has 3 + reverb)

258EEC06-C9CE-4440-AA2D-B37B0EEB05E6_zpsrydr9vr1.jpg
Well I finally got it all hooked up and rolling. Now I'm a happy camper.
476CF305-07B4-4334-A1CF-82F07F13D147_zpsxeygvdkb.jpg
Love that guitar. How do you have the ES-8 setup? Assuming you're running some of those in front of the amp and some in the loop?

Love that guitar. How do you have the ES-8 setup? Assuming you're running some of those in front of the amp and some in the loop?
Actually Vaughn I'm running everything in front at the moment. I just wanted to get it all hooked to make sure the cable for channel switching worked correctly. The Es-8 is limitless I haven't even began to explore all the options but I will say it was worth every penny.

Actually Vaughn I'm running everything in front at the moment. I just wanted to get it all hooked to make sure the cable for channel switching worked correctly. The Es-8 is limitless I haven't even began to explore all the options but I will say it was worth every penny.
Gotcha. I'd only put the delay in the loop out of all those pedals. Maybe the boost, if you wanted to use as a volume boost rather than compression/gain/flavor boost.

Back