Opener/Can of Worms: Check...OK, WAH pedal recs?

FragileThunder

The Space Between The Notes
I'm usually decidedly decisive when it comes to gear purchases, "when" being of greater debate than "what". But dammit, I just can get myself to commit to a new Wah. I had a standard CryBaby at one point, but as I wasn't playing much guitar at the time it never really spoke to me in any way where I'm dying to simply replace it. But I also wasn't UN-happy with it...of course, there are now 73 different takes on the CryBaby, so how do I choose? People like the Bad Horsie, but I don't have the opportunity to try one locally so who knows? Vox? Then Real McCoy gets mentioned and I'm down the rabbit hole on their array of models.

Here's what I know: It will mostly be used for funky, rock-ish music. It will be on the floor, not my board, so size isn't really an issue. Should do a classic Wah sound well, possibly with some additional shaping ability. Within reason, budget isn't a major driver. Open to any brand.

So, fully acknowledging that this post is likely to backfire and make my decisions harder, have at it denizens of the PRS Forums...make your best pitch for which Wah is worthy.

Thanks in advance...I think.

So, here's no help - I have a Cry Baby and a Bad Horsie II. I don't use wah much, but I lean to the BH when I do, partly because I like the no-switch functionality. That said, you can't do the set it in one position thing, and depending on the floor (if you have carpet), the on/off can be touchy. The other big thing I like is that it has an adjustable Q, so you can emphasize different frequencies.

I have a beautiful pedal board with a few nice boutique pedals. When I got my new amp with everything on it, I decided to put it away. Every pedal I got was donated by some really nice ppl on that “other” guitar forum I was on for almost 10 years.

I do miss fooling around with it. Just another thing to lug to rehearsal. Can’t do it. I took it once. Carrying my guitar, music books and my purse then maneuvering through mounds of snow was too much.

I think it’s in the family room downstairs. I can’t be bothered looking for it now. Maybe when I am bored out my mind or something close to that situation.

my go to for years the Bud -Wah
pijiw98uvx0pe06dhv09.jpg

Get a Dunlop MC404 CAE wah and you're done. It's got two different foot-switchable inductors for two totally different sounds--and both modes sound quite good. Bonus is that it's actually got an on/off LED to know for sure when it's on vs. off. Highly recommend.

I used a USA made Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah for several years. I felt some satisfaction to see Jeff Beck using one too. Mine crapped out, couldn't get it repaired. The newer ones were made overseas, and did not receive good words. It was a very versatile wah, from the basic chinky-chink to full-on nasty!

Replaced it with the chrome version of the Dunlop 535Q, and have used it ever since. I'm very happy with it, and it does have some adjustable parameters.

I have a theory about wah pedals, based on my experience with them. My theory is that you need to play a loud, cranked amp, for wah pedals to sound the way we hear them on records, etc. What a wah does to the frequency response of the signal put through it, seems to just never work for me at low volumes.

I have owned about 3 Vox Wah pedals, a nice BYOC one, and just never could bond with any of them. About 3 years ago, I didn't have much I wanted for Christmas so I put a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe on my list, and Mrs DTR got it for me. And I found out the same thing... I just couldn't get it to sound that great. I had it on my board for 3 months after I got it and tried it repeatedly. I've been convinced for years that I needed one, but could never make it work.

Then one day while Mrs. DTR was gone I crank the amp up loud (almost half way on the Archon) and suddenly it sounded really good. I made some adjustments on it, had it sounding good, and of course, had to do some Michael Schenker riffs on it and was really enjoying it. Didn't touch a thing and turned it on two nights later at much lower volumes, and the magic was gone. I repeated those steps and confirmed. It just seems to not sound great unless you're moving some air.

So now it sits unused, waiting for the Silver Sky>HDRX20 setup (which has been on continued hold due to issues with the SS). When that setup (or it's substitute) makes it's debut, it will quickly earn it's place on a "Hendrix/Trower only" pedalboard, or it will be sent off to it's next home. I hope it works with that setup, and think it will. But over the years I've gone from thinking it was a tool I've always wanted and needed, to thinking it's more of a specialty thing that works well in some circumstances and not so well in others.

All this IMHO only. If you've made it work at lower volumes, please share. Maybe it just works better with certain types of amps that haven't been the ones I tried. I did like it with the Mesa TA 15 and 30, but not much at all with any of my other Mesa amps, for example.

In my humble opinion as a guy who rocked a 1966 Vox wah for MANY years starting in 1966 (used for so long the pedal's metal footbed actually disintegrated), the RMC Real McCoy wah is the most authentic, vintage-sounding wah I've ever owned. I also liked the Fulltone - a LOT.

Had a Bud-Wah, have had a TON of Dunlop, have had some other boutique. But the RMC is the real deal, and the Fulltones were very close, and even more versatile, but they weren't THAT wah.

I've heard nothing that's remotely close to the RMC. Nothing. It's literally a 1966/67 Vox wah, which to my way of thinking, is the best wah pedal ever built.

Sadly, my clients have said 'no wah' on tracks ever since I got into the business in 1990, so now I use the not-too-horrible wah patches on the Eventide H9 with an expression pedal, admittedly a sad state of affairs, but I'll be up-front:

There is no comparison to the RMC. I have no axe to grind, I don't have one any more. But it's the real freakin' deal. If you're looking for the world's most authentic, vintage sounding wah, there's only one choice. Runner up would be the Fulltone.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion as a guy who rocked a 1966 Vox wah for MANY years starting in 1966 (used for so long the pedal's metal footbed actually disintegrated), the RMC Real McCoy wah is the most authentic, vintage-sounding wah I've ever owned. I also liked the Fulltone - a LOT.

Had a Bud-Wah, have had a TON of Dunlop, have had some other boutique. But the RMC is the real deal, and the Fulltones were very close, and even more versatile, but they weren't THAT wah.

I've heard nothing that's remotely close to the RMC. Nothing. It's literally a 1966/67 Vox wah, which to my way of thinking, is the best wah pedal ever built.

Sadly, my clients have said 'no wah' on tracks ever since I got into the business in 1990, so now I use the not-too-horrible wah patches on the Eventide H9 with an expression pedal, admittedly a sad state of affairs, but I'll be up-front:

There is no comparison to the RMC. I have no axe to grind, I don't have one any more. But it's the real freakin' deal. If you're looking for the world's most authentic, vintage sounding wah, there's only one choice. Runner up would be the Fulltone.

Thanks, you’re the second person to speak of RMC so glowingly. Now…do you know which version? :D

I had the original Picture Wah.
Thanks. Seems like that would be most what I’m looking for.

The concept of some tone shaping like the Xotic or some of the Dunlops is appealing but the reality is I’ll probably set and forget anyway.

hmmmm….

Thanks. Seems like that would be most what I’m looking for.

The concept of some tone shaping like the Xotic or some of the Dunlops is appealing but the reality is I’ll probably set and forget anyway.

hmmmm….
I've had a few of the Fulltone Clyde Deluxes, and wound up using them at the standard setting. I know what you mean. Sometimes there are too many tweaks and choices.

I have owned a lot of way pedals over the years. I like the idea of the no switch but in reality the ones I had didn't work out for me the way would shut off when I went all the way heel down (I think maybe it was toe down). Probably bad was technique on my part. I have finally settled on the Xotic. I did just find the setting I liked and then it was set and forget.

Me too.

Either the Full Tone or the RMC. Those are the two best that I've owned. And like you I owned original Vox Wah Wahs back in the 60's.

Here's mine:

Back