Opened and saw this: What the hell is my wiring?

Threepiece

My S2 C24 was my first 'good' guitar purchase. It plays like a dream but I've never been very happy with the sound. Seems kind of compressed or flat or something. Anyway, first time (months ago) I opened the back I was intimidated - and quickly closed it. Since then I've done many mods on my other guitars and am more comfortable. Still, wasn't expecting this. I think part of it (that white .33 cap wired to tone and volume) is a '50's mod' - but whats with the cap on the volume? (thought treble bleed needed a resistor). Speaking of which, what the hell are the resistors on the push/pull tone? Never seen that. Don't want to mess with anything before I know what it is. I know there is a lot of knowledge here. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

http://imgur.com/RqsH9W6 http://imgur.com/X5oJZ7e http://imgur.com/t1ewDul

tone cap. treble bleed. coil "splits" PRS style....
Look up DGT wiring for more info...
Well, after 1/2 hour I have found lots of info. The two things I haven't found are: What is is actually doing to the tone and if it is standard or a mod to my S2. Do you (or anyone else) know? Thanks again.

Well, after 1/2 hour I have found lots of info. The two things I haven't found are: What is is actually doing to the tone and if it is standard or a mod to my S2. Do you (or anyone else) know? Thanks again.

The cap on the volume pot is a "treble bleed" which keeps the tone from getting darker as you turn the volume down - the idea is to keep the tone consistent at different volumes. The resistors on the push pull for the coil splits keep the second coil from being totally eliminated from the circuit. A normal coil split totally cuts one coil, this circuit keeps some of that signal in to keep the tone from being excessively thin and having as big a drop in output.

The straight cap, I believe, is just like most designs functionally. Most modern tone caps are between a lug and the casing on the tone pot, this design is in a different order but the net effect of the circuit is the same.

All that you see in there is stock!

The cap on the volume pot is a "treble bleed" which keeps the tone from getting darker as you turn the volume down - the idea is to keep the tone consistent at different volumes. The resistors on the push pull for the coil splits keep the second coil from being totally eliminated from the circuit. A normal coil split totally cuts one coil, this circuit keeps some of that signal in to keep the tone from being excessively thin and having as big a drop in output.

The straight cap, I believe, is just like most designs functionally. Most modern tone caps are between a lug and the casing on the tone pot, this design is in a different order but the net effect of the circuit is the same.

All that you see in there is stock!
Thanks so much - that resistor thing had me stumped.

I read that DGT was designed for boomer type strings. I'm sure they mean the actual DGT guitar but it's time to change anyway and I have some Gilmore boomers lying around somewhere. I'll try them out. Took out the pups to see what they are and the bridge had the G&B logo - which I know are the stock SE and S2 pups. Interesting to see the serial number tage was laminated under the pup.

Now that I know what's what (thanks to all of you) - I think I'll keep the wiring mod and try some new pups. I really want to like this guitar since it plays so well but can't find the sound, you know?

Thanks again everyone. This forum rocks.

Try 57/08`s. They`re my fave.
Wow - $440 for a pair. I think they're the most expensive I've ever heard of. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay, reverb, etc.

On the other hand, I got the S2 for $600. So even if I upgraded to core electronics and pups I would probably still be doing well. On the other, other hand that starts putting me in the realm of a used core c24... So much to think about. Exciting times. Be well!

I have an S2 custom 22 and an 03 CE 24. The S2`s are their own animals. There is no reason not to have them both. When you find a guitar that has that "thing" that we guitarists are looking for, make it yours and don`t sell it. if that`s coverning it in Gucci fabric, great. If it`s switching to a John Mann or other core tremolo, have at it. To me, the goal is to make exactly what you want. By the way I`m seeing 57`s for $368 already on ebuy. And my next question is........have you tried adjusting the pickups? My S2 still has the stock ones because I was able to get them to sound the way I wanted.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. For me, that 'thing' is pretty elusive. I only have 2 guitars in the 'never sell' box. 1, is my AmStrat with a DG20 set up. Like Blackie for EC - It's the Strat that's right for me. And the other is - somewhat strangely - a late 70's or early 80's Memphis ripoff of a tele-deluxe. My bro got it broken for $5 bucks at a garage sale. I had it for 20 years and never did much more than somehow get one pickup to sort of work. Sky high action. Recently decided to take it apart - just as a project to learn on. Well, after replacing all the hardware and wiring and hooking up the pups correctly (which I discovered are vintage Bill Lawrence L500's - the real deal), shimming the brass nut, straightening the neck, etc I found out it's, well, perfect. Not the fretboard - could use a possible upgrade (thought that's it's own issue) but the sound is just exactly what I want. Better than any $5K Gibbie I've ever played.

I A/B'd all my guitars today (wanted to place the PRS's sound and figure out what I want). Anyway, found out that it does, indeed, have the worst sound - no harmonics or something - like it's compressed. As you suggested I'll play with the height but I don't think that's it (I had it professionally set up previously). However, there is something different about it and maybe this is true of PRS in general. It's just better made or something. I have 2 Epi LP's (prophecy GX (pretty great) actually, and plustop FX with the Floyd (project), a Taylor 414CE, and the others I mentioned and the S2 - I don't know, feels crafted.

After today (and your thoughtful note) I've decided to make the investment and see if it will sing. And I want to go pure PRS. So, now it's ordering and replacing the electronics, maybe getting a brass block for the Trem and then deciding which pups to get. I'm going for core pups - 57's, 85's or 59's. Now just have to figure out which of those is 'best.' I heard some 57,59 A/B on youtube and am leaning toward 57's. Don't know about the 85's except they seem loved. Would really love to get the Alex Lifeson PRS sound (I know he had a CE and a mountain of effects, but still...)

Sorry for the long post - kind of got away from me. Thanks so much for your thoughtful input. These forums are such a wonderful thing. Makes the internet seem worth it ;-)

Take care,

P

I completely agree with you. For me, that 'thing' is pretty elusive. I only have 2 guitars in the 'never sell' box. 1, is my AmStrat with a DG20 set up. Like Blackie for EC - It's the Strat that's right for me. And the other is - somewhat strangely - a late 70's or early 80's Memphis ripoff of a tele-deluxe. My bro got it broken for $5 bucks at a garage sale. I had it for 20 years and never did much more than somehow get one pickup to sort of work. Sky high action. Recently decided to take it apart - just as a project to learn on. Well, after replacing all the hardware and wiring and hooking up the pups correctly (which I discovered are vintage Bill Lawrence L500's - the real deal), shimming the brass nut, straightening the neck, etc I found out it's, well, perfect. Not the fretboard - could use a possible upgrade (thought that's it's own issue) but the sound is just exactly what I want. Better than any $5K Gibbie I've ever played.

I A/B'd all my guitars today (wanted to place the PRS's sound and figure out what I want). Anyway, found out that it does, indeed, have the worst sound - no harmonics or something - like it's compressed. As you suggested I'll play with the height but I don't think that's it (I had it professionally set up previously). However, there is something different about it and maybe this is true of PRS in general. It's just better made or something. I have 2 Epi LP's (prophecy GX (pretty great) actually, and plustop FX with the Floyd (project), a Taylor 414CE, and the others I mentioned and the S2 - I don't know, feels crafted.

After today (and your thoughtful note) I've decided to make the investment and see if it will sing. And I want to go pure PRS. So, now it's ordering and replacing the electronics, maybe getting a brass block for the Trem and then deciding which pups to get. I'm going for core pups - 57's, 85's or 59's. Now just have to figure out which of those is 'best.' I heard some 57,59 A/B on youtube and am leaning toward 57's. Don't know about the 85's except they seem loved. Would really love to get the Alex Lifeson PRS sound (I know he had a CE and a mountain of effects, but still...)

Sorry for the long post - kind of got away from me. Thanks so much for your thoughtful input. These forums are such a wonderful thing. Makes the internet seem worth it ;-)

Take care,

P
Once you start thinking about trem block, you may want to consider saddles too. at that point, why not the whole MannMade trem? I like mine in the CE24. So much so, another is going into an SE along with the PRS nut. The SE will have a Korean body, but full American soul. (w/ HFS/VB & US electronics that is. Tuners are fine I think).

I have the 85/15s in the CE24 and it's love/hate. They are very clear and articulate, but that can get sterile IMO in some applications. HFS has more umpf, and VB is warmer. I have no comparison to 5X/XXs. My Santana has the best balance so far, but no coil splits. The HFS has a leg over Santana when I delve into Metallica sounds.

All-in all, again IMO, the SE (and corresponding parts in CE and S2) have their place and value and deliver well for the price paid, but the US parts are definitive upgrades.

Definitely consider the Mann made. I put it in an SE 30th Anni Custom 24. Really changed the sound for the better. Also, remember, this is a PRS. It`s going to sound different,and your ears have to get used to the sound of different.

I A/B'd all my guitars today (wanted to place the PRS's sound and figure out what I want). Anyway, found out that it does, indeed, have the worst sound - no harmonics or something - like it's compressed.

Probably the pickups. I like the HFS/VB in my S2 when playing with high gain because they're clear, articulate and they scream. With lower gain they're bland and kind of lifeless. This isn't PRS specific, it's more of an overwound, ceramic pickup thing. If this is your problem then you could sweeten the bridge by changing to a lower output, alnico pickup (i.e., 57s, 58s, 59s, etc).

Further, while I feel the neck pickup on a Custom 24 is ideally located for shredding up and down the neck because it's not as muddy as the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar, it's not my favourite for playing sweet sounding cleans because it's not as full sounding as the neck position on a 22 fret guitar. If this is your problem then there's not much you can do about it beyond trading your Cu24 in for a Cu22.

TL;DR... I use my Cu24 when I want to melt people's faces. When I want to sooth them with sweet melodies I use my McCarty (which is similar to a Custom 22).

Back