Ground & Pound Soundman saga

That is amazing GW. This is freedom from the fear that inhibits you! Good on ya! Keep doing it. I used to shake like a leaf on a windy day but now everything has changed. My confidence rose to astronomical heights. You will be able to step up to the plate with satisfaction and confidence. Nothing can rival those.

For any of you in the Atlanta Metro Area that are interested in joining the Open Mike fun , PLEASE DO !

Details : Wednesday Nights 7:30-10pm
Ground & Pound Cafe '
8420 Holcombe Bridge Road
Alpharetta , Ga

The venue is a former Starbucks , holds about 50 very laid back and supportive.

Bill Hart runs it , he was the head of the Guitar Dept. at Altanta Institute of Music for 25 years and tours internationally with his group.
Sophia Crawford is the owner , a retired Stuntwoman with a huge roster of roles. She's amazingly supportive.

It is mainly acoustic , any instrument is welcome as long as it's plug an play ... simple and fun

Last edited:
I haven't brought my 5 string electric fiddle yet ... still waitin for that guy to show .... lol
realistrv-5e_frontside_1.jpg

I haven't seen any hard rock open mikes lately
So what are us aging rockers supposed to do with our free time? Needlepoint? Crochet? Julie Bowen fan sites?

Hmmm, I just had an idea.

Yeah, I go to one occasionally because friends of mine play there. It's all country, bluegrass, singer/songwriter to maybe roots rock stuff, Tom Petty, Neil Young, stuff like that. I know that setup is not conducive to Van Halen and Rush covers. Sadly... If it were, I'd go shake the place up a bit. :)

There have been some pretty cool acoustic covers of rock songs , next week we'll ease into the archtops . I'm bringing my HBII and my big Heritage 575 Custom ( hand carved ES-175). We closed the set this week with a lil Wes Montgomery , it was fun watching our protege who is 20 lay down some cool kicks .. We just turned her on to Wes in the last week.

Found out my trusty lil Mesa Rosette (300w 2 seperate channels) is cleared for Bass ! I hooked up my 2x10 cab ( disabling the internal 2x8 and horn) perfect for the Cafe gig! I had been looking at the small Phil Jones bass combo's , this is so cool . one amp to handle everything .. it is truely a little PA as they advertise. The Acoustics like it too , a little top end loss without the horn , but EQ solves that and the overall warmth is worth it for all the inputs.

Last edited:
Round 4 was fun , the Fretless was a nice addition as well as the Country Gentleman. The 2x10 really helped fill up the sound and the bass could breathe , the acoustics sounded fuller too . I played bass on the opening set ...and for the first time ..actually got real applause!!!!!! in the past they've just continued the normal chatter...It was a pretty funky bass line.. and a pleasent surrreal surprise.

I may be hosting in the near future , just subbing while the real host is out of town. It's a nice sign of family and trust ...

We closed the night with my friends playing an acoustic version of "Lenny" with the fretless backing ...man it was SO cool thankfully I got most of it on my phone .... it was one of those what should we close with , I suggest it , and the guitar player said " I''ve never tried this acoustically " .. ahh the magic of circumstance.

My Alembic arrives today! I'll be brushing up my bass chops for next week!
ctmkglzslitj06coxosa.jpg

Last edited:
100349d1680222467-back-bassics-alembic-persuader-bass-4-me-jpg

OMG .. a dream come true . Sparkles like I remember , I now have all my Basses covered !

My prod basses: on the left my 1st a Fender Fretless Jazz, the Alembic Persuader . On the right the fretted and fretless I made .

Now my grandsons will have a fretted / fretless each when I'm gone

Last edited:
Back