Ground & Pound Soundman saga

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
Well my friends after decades of dreaming and dreading , I finally made it to an open mic, and survived. I must say it changed my lifetime perspective on guitar. I am admittedly a hermit, I spent my career as that eccentric engineer in the corner who you went to when NOBODY could figure it out , and then solve it a few minutes. As a Luthier , I live for seeing my instruments on stage in the hands of people who are skilled.

It is the same way any parent feels of the child doing well ( I'm a grandpa) . I've always played just for the pure pleasure of it.
Performance was something I did in Orchestra years ago , never solo , or in any spotlight.

SO ...what changed ?? Through the steady encouragment of several musician friends and most importantly my dear friend Bill Hart, I took the plunge. A duet with Bill, which I'd done at my place before , so it was casual feeling. I realized for the first time that when you are up there , it's a different universe , all of a sudden the crowd is out there ...and quite suddenly since they are ...no worries !

Certainly not my best playing , but I DIDN"T freeze .

60 years of crippling stage fright GONE!!! God bless you Bill. Of course , as is his task in Life , after he made sure I could fly a little , he stepped away and let me play originals for about 10 .. I realized that the folks in the club needed "background music " and I'd done this on my lunch break in the lounge at work for a good ten years... Working in a high stress Mission Critical call center , people would frequently say " I wish they could pipe your playing to the building " I'm a Michael Hedges type acoustic player .... I always rolled my eyes, shook my head and kept playing , not appreciating that it was actually bringing them serenity ....

The EPIPHANY : The great lightswitch moment of Suzuki training .. Practice until you can't get in wrong , and more importantly NOT for your pleasure anymore , but with dillligence to bring joy to others.

Last edited:
back in my neighborhood the open mic was strictly poetry readings until late, you had to sneak guitars in, forget amps and the drum kit was two ashtrays and a cardboard box.

Congratulations! I think it is a big deal when people overcome their fears and themselves out there. I see this mostly in business (public speaking), but -- for me anyway -- public musical performance is a bigger hurdle. I guess because it is more personal (especially if it is also your own composition). I recently posted on my first open mic experiences (first time ever this year). I haven't experienced stage fright (except oddly in front of my own extended family), but it has made me want to do more.

Some of the venues here are pretty brutal on open mike , luckily I found one that is incredibly supportive. Nothing lasts forever , but I'll savor this magic as long as I can.
Weird! I'm something of an open mic warrior, and I can say every open mic I've ever been to has been a super supportive, friendly, and welcoming place.

Now I'm just starting to step on to the big stage with my band, and open mic has been a fantastic stepping stone.

Well my friends after decades of dreaming and dreading , I finally made it to an open mike, and survived. I must say it changed my lifetime perspective on guitar. I am admittedly a hermit, I spent my career as that eccentric engineer in the corner who you went to when NOBODY could figure it out , and then solve it a few minutes. As a Luthier , I live for seeing my instruments on stage in the hands of people who are skilled.

It is the same way any parent feels of the child doing well ( I'm a grandpa) . I've always played just for the pure pleasure of it.
Performance was something I did in Orchestra years ago , never solo , or in any spotlight.

SO ...what changed ?? Through the steady encouragment of several musician friends and most importantly my dear friend Bill Hart, I took the plunge. A duet with Bill, which I'd done at my place before , so it was casual feeling. I realized for the first time that when you are up there , it's a different universe , all of a sudden the crowd is out there ...and quite suddenly since they are ...no worries !

Certainly not my best playing , but I DIDN"T freeze .

60 years of crippling stage fright GONE!!! God bless you Bill. Of course , as is his task in Life , after he made sure I could fly a little , he stepped away and let me play originals for about 10 .. I realized that the folks in the club needed "background music " and I'd done this on my lunch break in the lounge at work for a good ten years... Working in a high stress Mission Critical call center , people would frequently say " I wish they could pipe your playing to the building " I'm a Michael Hedges type acoustic player .... I always rolled my eyes, shook my head and kept playing , not appreciating that it was actually bringing them serenity ....

The EPIPHANY : The great lightswitch moment of Suzuki training .. Practice until you can't get in wrong , and more importantly NOT for your pleasure anymore , but with dillligence to bring joy to others.
You have it so completely right.

Round 2 tonight was MUCH easier , got there early and set up sound for everyone, brought the congas and a couple of my Koa Taylors .
We ended up running the Mic through the Mesa Rosette channel 1 as it has a mic in . Much better sound , Channel 2 was perfect for the guitar . Had 6 different artist play and got to swap guitars . I played a few songs on guitar and a few on congas ..Great fun!

Last edited:
Back