Open grain on a rosewood neck

imalrightjack

I just bought a used (barely!) 2017 Private Stock 24:08 with a Brazilian rosewood neck. I've owned several PRS with rosewood (Brazilian and Indian) necks but this is the most pronounced grain I've felt under thumb - and I'm a touch concerned about it.

Does this need any special treatment? It's silky smooth all over, other than the sides near the headstock.

IMG-7529.jpg

If it bothers you, hit it with some rosewood grain filler, sand it smooth, and move on.

You could also send it to the PTC. Ask Skitchy to give it the ‘Rosewood Neck Treatment of Extreme Awesomeness'. I did this with one of my Brazilian-neck guitars and was quite pleased with the results.

i-HkffPX4-XL.jpg

It looks okay to me but then again, I’ve never seen grains quite that pronounced on any of my Brazilian rosewood necks. If it’s only near the headstock then it definitely wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. If the look/feel bothered me, I’d just sand that section down a little bit.

Uh oh, do they do that there? I just posted something there today. I better find a way to stay out of trouble, lol.

It was a thread topic last week or so. Sergio was getting owned on there apparently. I don’t believe it myself, I mean anyone who can almost steal Paul Smiths car at Exp ‘13, surely isn’t getting owned on some two-bit, good for nuthin’ forum!

Don’t really know why I went all John Wayne there for a moment!

It was a thread topic last week or so. Sergio was getting owned on there apparently. I don’t believe it myself, I mean anyone who can almost steal Paul Smiths car at Exp ‘13, surely isn’t getting owned on some two-bit, good for nuthin’ forum!

Don’t really know why I went all John Wayne there for a moment!

Oh wow, I gotta get caught up. The folks over there do seem a bit…’easily excitable’ and not in the good way.

As already said, that's nothing of a problem for structure or sound. If it changes how you play the guitar, then the grain filler of awesomeness might be worth your while, especially for such a prized neck wood. I'd like to know more about that treatment myself!

Back