Opaque/Tone Monster Vs. 10 Top/"good" tone Vs. Private Stock/deadtone GO!

Opaque/Tone Monster Vs. 10 Top/"good" tone Vs. Private Stock/deadtone GO!

• Total voters
And, while we're on the subject of "cop out," Kev, how come I haven't seen you on that VR thread yet? Hmmm?!??!

Pete: Nice guitar. Hey, I'm heading to Chicago for the weekend this weekend... ...hmm...

+1! ;)

I did not vote because the right answer was not there - Private Stock Tone Monster!

PS%252007.jpg

Hi Pete. PM Sent. Great guitar!

My under-developed mind tells me this question is hypothetically rhetorical. You're asking a question that doesn't need to be answered for the sake of fleshing out who would identify themselves as superficial. Maybe that's not the case and it's just how us stupid folk think. Oh yeah, I looked up "copout" and apparently that's two words. :rolleyes:

Read: Bite me, Kevin. With all due respect to the President of DGT Nation. :)

It's still bogus. With respect to guitars, the particulars always matter. If you want to start an intelligent conversation about the relative weight people assign to abstract concepts such as "tone," "beauty," and "quality of construction/materials," setting up a bogus hypothetical that only deals in extremes is a lousy way to do it.

That's how I read it too, hence my responses.

And, while we're on the subject of "cop out," Kev, how come I haven't seen you on that VR thread yet? Hmmm?!??!

Pete: Nice guitar. Hey, I'm heading to Chicago for the weekend this weekend... ...hmm...

Well retorted gentlemen! :beer:

You are helping me wake the place up a little bit without quite going over the line I am dancing on the edge of... :dancing:

You may also notice Mr. Shawn and Mr. Hans have steered clear of this particular thread which is completely understood and not at all unexpected... :prslogo: :creep:

I haven't been as good a contributor to either forum as much as of late, as my work life and home life have shifted and evolved a little bit, leaving only time for FaceBook type short stabs of expression, and not much time for meaningful insightful writings(or listening to tone tests like Kingsley's). This was/is an attempt to kind of be entertaining, provoke some thought and some ire, and hopefully get me more involved and motivated to contribute in a deeper fashion. Please know I am mostly tongue and cheek and try not to take any of my ramblings here personally even though I might be putting you on the spot. :shakehands:

Speaking as someone who has a PS/Deadtone guitar coming down the pike, which of course does not exist (sorry boys, and don't freaking burst my bubble, ok?) I make a semi-solemn promise (kind of a maybe promise):

If the guitar does not sound like more than expensive firewood, I will burn it, and take video of the bonfire, and I will hire beautiful strippers to dance around the fire unclad, as I rail at the gods of guitars for their evil!

How's that?

Read: "copout"

This is a hypothetical conceptual choice. Not tangible. If you were forced to face this choice, what would YOU choose. Put your name on it! Unless of course, your mind is not developed enough to be capable of conceptual thinking... :rolleyes:

I choose not to face the choice! You say hypothetical, I say contrived.

I'm not enough of a sucker to rise to that "copout" bait, but I almost fell for the "capable of conceptual thinking" jab.

Good thing we're all friends here. :beer:

This sounds political....so will you be in the running next election? Where do you stand on DGT's?:flute:

Mmm.. No, I'm rabidly apolitical, at least as much as I can get away with and still more or less function in today's America.

And y'know I quite like DGT's in principle, but more or less by accident I've never tried one.

You may also notice Mr. Shawn and Mr. Hans have steered clear of this particular thread which is completely understood and not at all unexpected...

If it's "completely understood" then you're going to have to explain it to me because I just got around to reading this train wreck. Why, exactly, am I being brought into this? Why is my absence to be noticed?

Look, if no one breaks forum rules then there's no need for a Mod to jump in. So if one of the Mods isn't actively moderating your thread and they're not participating in your thread either, then the only logical conclusions you can reliable draw are:
1) They have a job, a family, and in some cases school - so they can't read every single thread/post, or
2) The thread doesn't interest them, or
3) They don't have anything to add to the discussion, or
4) It's a giant steaming turd and they've seen this happen enough times to know that everyone who touches it will end up smelling like sh!t.

I started out with #1, a hint of #2, became #3 when you dragged me into this, and right about now I'm wishing I had remembered #4 before I started typing.
I'm going to bed. You guys have fun. And... please... leave me out of this. :goodnight:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48025 said:
And... please... leave me out of this. :goodnight:

Now really......How much fun would that be? :laugh::wink:

PS. My lovely wife (who is sitting next to me healing her surgically repaired broken right ankle-which is another story) nearly choked on her coffee when I read point #4 to her. :congrats::biggrin:

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48025 said:
If it's "completely understood" then you're going to have to explain it to me because I just got around to reading this train wreck. Why, exactly, am I being brought into this? Why is my absence to be noticed?

4) It's a giant steaming turd and they've seen this happen enough times to know that everyone who touches it will end up smelling like sh!t

Ahhh but Hans, you answered your own question, in a manner WAY better than I could have. :congrats:

PS. My lovely wife (who is sitting next to me healing her surgically repaired broken right ankle-which is another story) nearly choked on her coffee when I read point #4 to her. :congrats::biggrin:

Steve, are you trying to immobilize your wife by having her read such witty repartee whilst drinking coffee and nursing a healing ankle? :laugh:

(Glad I could lead Hans to give her a smile, and hope she is well on the mend. :wink:)

Since I've been asked directly which would I choose, I'll chime in. It's like anything. if I only own one guitar and that's all I'll ever own, I'll take the one that sounds the best. It may or not be the prettiest, but I'd go with great sounding and playing. If I owned multiple guitars, I'd diversify my collection and add some fancy guitars too. Again, not mutually exclusive, but if we are dealing with hypothetical absolutes, that's how I vote.

Since I've been asked directly which would I choose, I'll chime in. It's like anything. if I only own one guitar and that's all I'll ever own, I'll take the one that sounds the best. It may or not be the prettiest, but I'd go with great sounding and playing. If I owned multiple guitars, I'd diversify my collection and add some fancy guitars too. Again, not mutually exclusive, but if we are dealing with hypothetical absolutes, that's how I vote.

And this, my friends, is how to classily participate in a forum while answering a thread that might not be your bag.
Thank you for playing along, Shawn! \m/

If I owned multiple guitars, I'd diversify my collection and add some fancy guitars too.

And there you have it. That sums up my feelings as well.

Which guitars do I play out? The ones that sound and feel the best. However, I own some simply because they are pure ART. Here's an example. I am not a big fan of the Starla model, nor do I like Bigsbys as a player. Does that mean a Starla with a Bigsby is not a great guitar? Hell no, but for the tones I want for the genre of music I play, it's not for me. However, I have no plans on letting this guitar go, because I think it's one of the prettiest and coolest art guitars I have ever seen:

PRSPSSTARLA1.jpg

I have other objects that I own simply for the sake of art. Who says I can't own a guitar for the same reason?

Last edited:
The Spanish Inquisition has a warm welcome waiting for You!

711px-Witch-scene4_zpsdfa0fcb3.jpg

With a reference already in writing in a response from another member, I thought this thread could use a little comic relief from the source itself:

Lloyd

Last edited by a moderator:
And there you have it. That sums up my feelings as well.

Which guitars do I play out? The ones that sound and feel the best. However, I own some simply because they are pure ART. Here's an example. I am not a big fan of the Starla model, nor do I like Bigsbys as a player. Does that mean a Starla with a Bigsby is not a great guitar? Hell no, but for the tones I want for the genre of music I play, it's not for me. However, I have no plans on letting this guitar go, because I think it's one of the prettiest and coolest art guitars I have ever seen:

PRSPSSTARLA1.jpg

I have other objects that I own simply for the sake of art. Who says I can't own a guitar for the same reason?

But is it a deadtone? :)

Back