Opaque 10-top?

wfwhite

I came across a CU24 in an opaque color that caught my eye. The hang tag indicates a 10 top, but the headstock does not have the "10". The serial number on the guitar matches the hang tag, so I am a bit confused. I don't question the trustworthy-ness of the retailer, it just seems like a oddity to me. Does anyone know if PRS has offered opaque 10 tops in the past?

The "10 Top" grading does not disappear if PRS decides to spray the top. It seems a waste to do, but it is possible you could have a "ten top" underneath that spray job, for sure. I suppose you could only appreciate it if it had scrape binding.

I did, indeed, see an opaque paint job that was declared a 10-top. It was a purple artist package, I think it was from the "dirty" Paul's Guitar collection. This was many years ago. I actually bought it from Guitar Center and returned it, because there was something wrong with the pickups/electronics/don'tknowwhat. It sounded really muffled -- like more muffled than just "it needs new strings".

They said, it was probably a 10-top underneath the paint. XD

I couldn't justify keeping it.

It was freakin' beautiful, though. Just the perfect hue and shade of purple, very understated and professional looking like.
J12306000001000-00-500x500.jpg

"I don't know if it was worth five dollars, but it was a pretty frickin' good milkshake!" -- John Travolta

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure my SSH has a 10 top that’s opaque. Here is the tag in the bridge pickup cavity.
ZzvdMms_d.webp

qOdyd5G_d.webp

My guess is something went wrong during staining and they decided just to paint it black instead of scrap it. It wasn’t marked as a 10 top on the hand tag or headstock though so it’s purely speculation on my part.

Back