Online Dating

IKnowALittle

Well, being a guy, who despite playing a crapload of gigs and whatnot with not much success, I decided to signup on a dating service. Not going so well.

If u r on a dating service, check this out. It is eerily accurate. Scary, really. Even if your married or in a committed relationship, check it out.
No bad language in this so I should be ok.

Bye the bye. Not going to post anymore 'cause I always run afoul of rugerpc. there isn't any malicious intent, but sometimes I do get carried away and he has to do his job. Actually, he is incredibly tolerant and understanding.
Plus I post way to much stuff that is of no interest or relationship to PRS, which raises ire in a lot of members.

Regardless, it's all good. Take care and all the best.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Plus I post way to much stuff that is of no interest or relationship to PRS, which raises ire in a lot of members.
]

This is actually one of the things i miss about the forum, when it first started there was a healthy mix of PRS, guitars and then a bunch of threads about stuff that had nothing at all to do with music. The forum is still great but i miss the random threads about whatever.

This is the "catch all" section, and a little silliness should be OK. IMHO

Bye the bye. Not going to post anymore 'cause I always run afoul of rugerpc. there isn't any malicious intent, but sometimes I do get carried away and he has to do his job. Actually, he is incredibly tolerant and understanding.

Quite true. I hold absolutely no malice towards you. You have as much to contribute to the forum as anyone else.

I agree with Wedge and Huggy. The 'General Discussion' section of the forum is a catch-all for almost anything anyone wants to post, not just guitars or even just music related topics. There are only a very few subjects that are totally off-limits on the forum and they are spelled out in the rules: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/official-forum-rules-read-em.920/ as:
- Politics
- Religion
- Personal Disputes

A paging through the general section will reveal lots of threads that have nothing to do with guitars or music.

The other notable prohibition is:
Adult topics, imagery and language are strictly prohibited.
It should be obvious when that line is crossed.

If you can't type it(and it's auto censored), then it shouldn't be in a video. That's the rule I follow. I can be pretty foul mouthed so I sometimes over censor myself here, forgetting it'll do it for me if I'm outta line.

Test:
damn
hell
ass
******* = a-hole
**** = poop
**** = F

,I think Americans are less tolerant of swearing than we are in the UK or even Europe. We are a foul mouthed bunch and you can generally hear a bad word in most conversations between men, women and kids. I firmly believe the more a word is used the less it shocks and, after all, they are only words. The word 'bloody' was classed as a swear word when I was a nipper but it isn't anymore, you hear it in conversations all over including TV.
I can be pretty foul mouthed
And me, I come from an engineering background where every other word is 'F'.

damn - not a swear word
hell - not a swear word
ass - (& arse) not a swear word but some people cringe at it for some reason, I don't I think it's funny.

How do the mods view the word bollocks or bollox? And, I see the US has adopted Wanker?

Tell me citizens of the US what's the difference between a swear and a cuss?

... I come from an engineering background where every other word is 'F'.

Since when did foul language require an engineering background? Rappers seem to say it more than anybody. I've been an engineer for more than 20 years and I doubt I've said 1 cuss word in that time. I used to swear a lot in high school and then at about 18 I decided I didn't like how I sounded or felt so I stopped.

I had a decent experience with online dating back when my girl and I took a break in 2013. I didn't run into women who wanted me to pay for dinner and activities too often, most of them wanted to go Dutch or meet up for drinks somewhere casual. Most times when I had to lay out cash... it was me making that decision in some sort of old-timey traditional kind of way.

The best tips I can offer are to get a few natural lookin' pics of you (with your shirt on and no sunglasses fer god sakes!), make sure you express a positive attitude in your profile, fill that profile only with things you like (i.e.: not sh!t you don't want or won't put up with) and don't make it into some sort of manifesto (keep it short), keep it casual, give every girl that messages you a shot, and try to set up a time to meet in person right away.

You also gotta keep in mind that being a woman on a dating site is a very different experience than it is for a dude. They (especially the most attractive ones, obviously) get a ton more messages (most of them aggro/obscene/and pushy) so it'll often take them longer to message you back (if at all), so be cool.. cooler than Kool-ade, cooler than Santa Claus. In other words: Do not be a boner!

What site are you on? I did alright on OKCupid but Tinder seems to be the way to go since it's a bit more spontaneous.

I never used dating sites. I'm now married 26+ years. If I had to start dating again, my tastes in women have become so defined, as my guitar taste has become also, that I probably would never find anyone I wanted to date, or that would date me.

I was lucky in that my mother looked like Donna Reed and always looked 15-20 years younger then her age. I remember my father telling me that it is just as easy to date beautiful women as it is to date any other type of woman. Of all the things he had to tell me only once, this advice was one of them. My guitars usually fall into this category as well.

Also. the older I get, the more I would date younger women. I remember my father, about two years after my mother passed from cancer, telling me he had begun getting calls from women he knew when he was younger, that had found out he was widowed. They wanted to get together with him. He told them that he wasn't interested because they were too old (approximately his age).

I know it takes a special kind of younger woman to date an older man. A joke about that was when asked if he was afraid of having sex with his younger bride, due to health risks and possible heart attack and death, the old man said..."Well, if she dies, she dies!"

Last edited:
Met my wife on match.com in '02, connected thru our mutual love of "This is Spinal Tap". 14 years and 2 kids later she's encouraging me to splurge a little on myself (CE24? Archon 25?)

My key at the time was to ask informed questions. Read the profile, ask her about it. Connect on something. Share something about yourself in an honest, non-aggrandizing way. But always end every email/message with a question - keeps the conversation going until at some point it makes sense to meet up.

Two years divorced, and have started dating again, at age 44. For the first time in 17 years.

I spent half that time living/working in a foreign country, married to a woman there (met through work). Brought her here, we had two homes in two countries. IKnowALittle's video brings up some points I have experienced personally :).

At this point, I feel like I'm looking for unobtanium here in my local area, after coming out of the relationship I was in. The challenge for me in dating is letting go of ideas/habits that I developed during my married life, and be enthusiastic about the process.

The good news is I'm screwing up my courage to ask out a cute red-headed girl. I feel like Charlie Brown doing so :D

I know it takes a special kind of younger woman to date an older man
I met a girl on her 21st birthday bash, I was 44 at the time, to say she was stunning is not an overstatement. She then lived with me for four years and her parents loved me:) I was working in the music industry at the time and that fitted in exactly with what our other interests were. We were of a mind, we both loved music and enjoyed going to raves and generally whooping it up every weekend. We had a brilliant few years but eventually got tired of each other and we just split and that was the end of it - no recrimination. Although I'd lived with her for a few years, I found out in the last two or three months of our togetherness that she was classical guitar educated at Grade 8. We were in Gamlin's music store in Cardiff one day while I was trying to do a deal for a midi keyboard. I could hear someone playing classical guitar at the front of the shop but had no idea who it was, when I saw her playing I was gobsmacked. Hell, if I'd known how well she played, or that she even played, I could have had free lessons for four years!! She could pretty much play anything including guitar (obviously) keyboards and was a very adept cornet player.

I met a girl on her 21st birthday bash, I was 44 at the time, to say she was stunning is not an overstatement. She then lived with me for four years and her parents loved me:) I was working in the music industry at the time and that fitted in exactly with what our other interests were. We were of a mind, we both loved music and enjoyed going to raves and generally whooping it up every weekend. We had a brilliant few years but eventually got tired of each other and we just split and that was the end of it - no recrimination. Although I'd lived with her for a few years, I found out in the last two or three months of our togetherness that she was classical guitar educated at Grade 8. We were in Gamlin's music store in Cardiff one day while I was trying to do a deal for a midi keyboard. I could hear someone playing classical guitar at the front of the shop but had no idea who it was, when I saw her playing I was gobsmacked. Hell, if I'd known how well she played, or that she even played, I could have had free lessons for four years!! She could pretty much play anything including guitar (obviously) keyboards and was a very adept cornet player.

So you're saying she was plucking around behind your back?

You deserve better.

Mixstar said:

That's what you get with those " no strings attached" relationships.

"Yeah, I'm married. Does that make a difference?"

"I'd like that."

"Who are you talking to at 2 in the morning?"

"It's Paul from PRS."

"Oh yeah? Gimme that."

"What are you wearing 'Paul from PRS'?"

"Uh, a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up..."

"She sounds hideous!"

"But you should see her guitars!"

Back