One thing I do like about Guitar center!!!

Guitar Center Sessions ARE awesome!

Everyone kicks GC in the nuts and unfairly IMHO. When I had lent in my pockets, I test drove $3K and up guitars.

I like Guitar Center Sessions. Saw one the other night featuring Chicago. They sounded great, and considering that over the years they lost two out of the three original lead vocalists, they sound better than they did in the old days. One of my favorite bands in the late '60's, and they're even better now.

Guitar Center is just going through the "change". They can make way more dough selling inexpensive instruments than they can stocking expensive instruments.

Oh - I LOVE the sessions!!!

Sessions is cool. I've got about 4 of them stored on my DVR that I go back and watch every now and again.

Agree. Love guitar center sessions. They have helped me find new music in the past. I'm now a big fan of Alkaline Trio after seeing them perform.

I like Guitar Center Sessions. Saw one the other night featuring Chicago. They sounded great, and considering that over the years they lost two out of the three original lead vocalists, they sound better than they did in the old days. One of my favorite bands in the late '60's, and they're even better now.

I recorded it and just watched it earlier today. They were pretty good. I've never heard some of the songs without Peter Cetera. It was different. Not bad, just different.

I think GC gets a bum rap from the same clowns who claim "PRS guitars have no soul".

Sure GC is like the Walmart of the music biz, driving a lot of mom and pop stores out of business, which sucks. But I think GC has forced the quality of cheap instruments to greatly improve. I remember when I was learning to play, a lot of $400 guitars were junk. Go into the local GC. $400 can buy a LOT of guitar nowadays. I think GC deserves some of the credit for that, by pushing so much inventory.

Now, some individual GCs truly do suck. But I tend to blame those on the local managers. I travel a lot for work, and have visited a metric assload of guitar stores over the years. Some Guitar Centers REALLY have their act together.

They are going to stock what they sell the most of. If all you high dollar guitar buying mom and pop shopping guys would go into GC and start buying more expensive guitars they would start selling more expensive guitars.
Think about it.
What is the price range most of the clientele buying? What skill level is most of the clientele ? What age group is most of the clientele?

They are going to stock what they sell the most of. If all you high dollar guitar buying mom and pop shopping guys would go into GC and start buying more expensive guitars they would start selling more expensive guitars.
Think about it.
What is the price range most of the clientele buying? What skill level is most of the clientele ? What age group is most of the clientele?

I disagree completely. As for mom and pop, I support small businesses whenever possible. Be it a bar, restaurant, liquor store, etc etc.

I disagree completely. As for mom and pop, I support small businesses whenever possible. Be it a bar, restaurant, liquor store, etc etc.
You disagree with what exactly?
Because youre response doesnt really address anything I posted. You just say you shop at mom and pops. Thats fine. I dont really care where you shop.
I have to think you didnt really read my post, or you didnt really understand my post, or both.

Think about it.

So, it's my fault GC doesn't stock lots of core modes and a few tasty PS offerings in every store?

Ridiculous. GC restructured itself this way. They took core and better out of stores that previously stocked and sold them. The store managers I talked with wanted them, even just a few, if not a monsterous selection. The answer from corporate was 'no'.

I'm not going to go begging the chain to restock when I can just as easily patronize a stocking dealer who actually values the brand and, incidentally, treat me better.

So, it's my fault GC doesn't stock lots of core modes and a few tasty PS offerings in every store?
Im not saying its ANYONES "fault".
Ridiculous. GC restructured itself this way. They took core and better out of stores that previously stocked and sold them. The store managers I talked with wanted them, even just a few, if not a monsterous selection. The answer from corporate was 'no'.

I'm not going to go begging the chain to restock when I can just as easily patronize a stocking dealer who actually values the brand and, incidentally, treat me better.
Right. They are going to stock what sells. Thats how retail business works.
As a mom and pop supporter you should be thrilled GC isnt going to carry the high end guitars. They have provided the mom and pops a real niche.

You disagree with what exactly?
Because youre response doesnt really address anything I posted. You just say you shop at mom and pops. Thats fine. I dont really care where you shop.
I have to think you didnt really read my post, or you didnt really understand my post, or both.
I was merely stating that I don't agree with your hypothesis that us high dollar guitar buyers shopping elsewhere is the reason that most GC locations have gone from a cool place to the Walmart of musical instrument stores. I didn't say more earlier, and I won't say more now because I was trying to be respectful of your opinion, and didn't want to say anything inflammatory.

Not sure it was my intent to down gc with this thread. I actually have a great relationship with 2 of the 3 in my reach. Yes they are big business and there are pros and cons to running any business. Folks have had bad to awesome experience with all levels of business models and generally will patron the one or some they have the best with.

Let's keep the flaming of forum members to a respectful experience, cause my experience is not everyone's experienceo_O

The sad part is that most M&P stores can't afford the buy-in when it comes to high end guitars so they won't or can't stock them. That's the beauty of GCs and such.

The sad part is that most M&P stores can't afford the buy-in when it comes to high end guitars so they won't or can't stock them. That's the beauty of GCs and such.

Actually a point I was going to make. PRS requires a volume commitment from its dealers, a common thing for higher end goods.

GC has the buying power. They don't have to pedal to the lowest common denominator. They could easily stock a full range of guitars at various price points and have their sales people do what the mom and pop salespeople do -spend real time with a customer, answer question honestly and find the best fit between customer and guitar instead of the easiest/fastest.

I'm not talking out of my hat here, I have bought a lot of guitars at small dealers, medium dealers and at GC. I know when a sales person is trying just to make a quick sale vs actually trying to be helpful.

Attitude: members are reminded to make their points without making judgements about what another member does or does not 'understand'.

Back