One song to learn during quarantine!

Being in an actively creative band, we are constantly writing (and therefore learning) new material.

Last night we worked on a song that has been kicking around for a few years (bandmate wrote it about three or four years ago, maybe more), but finally got called up for full attention, and it has started to really gel. First lead break is the verse minor key part, played on a whistle or recorder (still thrashing that out a bit), and the second break is the chorus major key section, with me playing some tasteful (I hope) acoustic leads.

I wrote some lyrics for a song yesterday, to match the music I had written for guitar. I'm fairly happy with the verses, but the chorus needs a complete rework, I think. Once that starts to gel we'll figure out lead breaks for that too.

So no real time for learning covers, I guess is what I'm saying. Although I played/sang through Run Like Hell last night for the band's amusement. Retuned the SC HB II to drop D, got the echo just right, bit of dirt, and lots of yelling, and away I went! My wife did a drum-like slap on the bass as an excellent rhythm accompaniment. (I do the Roger Waters reverse scream thing too, which alarms people to no end.) But I've known that song for decades...

I'd love to learn a song while we're living like hermits. Unfortunately, this is my "normal" for at least two more weeks. Sucks!

50GKO0g.jpg
As others have said - rest up and heal quickly!

That's not a bad idea. Although, maybe I should learn a Jeff Healey song!

Be careful with that - you could poke your eye out! (Would that make anything you played a Jeff Healey song?) :eek:

(For the record, I love Jeff Healey. Love him for the CD and cassette, too.)

Be careful with that - you could poke your eye out! (Would that make anything you played a Jeff Healey song?) :eek:

(For the record, I love Jeff Healey. Love him for the CD and cassette, too.)
Too late!

He was awesome! I was lucky enough to see him in '89. He opened for SRV on the In Step Tour. Little Feat was also on the bill.

I'm going through and learning all the A Perfect Circle songs I've wanted to learn while I'm home. Did The Hollow. Just need to finish learning some parts of The Outsider, then want to move on to Orestes, Judith, and Thomas. Also learning some Alice in Chains songs because they're in C# Standard/Drop Db tuning as well. All these songs are probably intermediate level.

Sorry if its not on a PRS. I use my 594 and LP interchangeably.

Too late!

He was awesome! I was lucky enough to see him in '89. He opened for SRV on the In Step Tour. Little Feat was also on the bill.

I saw him once as well, on a club tour for See The Light. Amazing to watch that guy play, especially when he stood up and moved around. And what a great sense of humor, too. Definitely a guy who didn't let his situation hold him back.

I remember reading an interview with him that was done at his apartment. The interviewer asked about his record collection and asked him how he identified the records. He said he could feel the grooves and know which one was which.

And he's in Road House!

So for different players here pick one song to learn while house bound. One for each basic level.
Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
God
Beginner - La Grange, ZZ Top
Intermediate - jazzed up version of The Thrill Is Gone, BB King
Advanced - chord melody version of Summertime, George Gershwin
God - Hideaway, Freddie King (because Eric Clapton is God)

Reactions: CVS
Too late!

Wow thats an amazing line up!

Would love to have seen Lowell George perform live (and yes I’m aware that he had left us by ‘89).

bodia:
I wear those things for my thumbs too. Not all the time, but it helps a little (osteo arthritis in thumbs).

Trying to play eventually pays off; for me anyway. Pain steers adapted technique.

bodia:
I wear those things for my thumbs too. Not all the time, but it helps a little (osteo arthritis in thumbs).

Trying to play eventually pays off; for me anyway. Pain steers adapted technique.
Good to know. I'll probably wear it, maybe sleeping, for some time to come. Along with the tendon issue, I've bone spurs and arthritis at the lowest joint on the thumb.

I've finally started working on "Diary Of A Madman". Just out of curiosity - I don't expect to ever record it or anything. And man, is my hand size hurting me - there are a couple stretches that are tough because of the hand size and probably a little bit of residual effect from the hand surgery last year.

Back