One piece tops

Le'on Ragdoll

Hey guys
I'm new to the forum, so I'd just like to start by saying hi! I'm based in Australia and I've been playing PRS guitars for 8 years now. My number one instrument at the moment and the article of discussion is my McCarty; I got the guitar off eBay on a whim and I've been stoked with it ever since. It's been around the world, played in every climate imaginable and generally abused and it's still rock solid. However, the first thing I noticed was that the top is a single piece of lightly figured maple. Here's a picture of it basking in a field somewhere in rural Missouri.

253357_10151655328428923_285510145_n.jpg

..and a gratuitous action shot \m/.

28900_270504863092131_353050763_n.jpg

How common is this, how many people here have a guitar with a one piece top and does anyone have much to say about how this would affect the tone of the guitar?

Nice axe!! I have a y2k McRosie, with a one-piece-top, that I just love to death also! What pickups do you have in yours?

Welcome to the forum man! Killer guitar and by the action shot it looks like you give her a good run for your money! \m/

One piece tops aren't common, but they do happen. I would say unless its a limited edition guitar, a one piece top would help you retain value instead of adding to it. My only one piece top is on a 513

2i6zye.jpg

Hey guys
I'm new to the forum, so I'd just like to start by saying hi! I'm based in Australia and I've been playing PRS guitars for 8 years now. My number one instrument at the moment and the article of discussion is my McCarty; I got the guitar off eBay on a whim and I've been stoked with it ever since. It's been around the world, played in every climate imaginable and generally abused and it's still rock solid. However, the first thing I noticed was that the top is a single piece of lightly figured maple. Here's a picture of it basking in a field somewhere in rural Missouri.

253357_10151655328428923_285510145_n.jpg

..and a gratuitous action shot \m/.

28900_270504863092131_353050763_n.jpg

How common is this, how many people here have a guitar with a one piece top and does anyone have much to say about how this would affect the tone of the guitar?

That action shot is priceless. Nice one, dude!

I like the look of one piece tops (and backs) but can't detect a tonal difference from a two piece.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Le'on - great guitar and great shot. You McCarty has probably seen more action than all of my PRSes will ever see, combined.

There are some sick looking tops here...love the 59/09 ME and the diagonal figuring on that 408MT...

Thanks for all the replies guys, there are some absolute stunning guitars here!
@pjdude they're Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers that I've had wax potted. I swapped them out of another guitar and had them kicking around so I thought "why not". They do the job very nicely. I've got them hooked up with a 1Meg volume pot as well, so they're a little brighter as well.

Back