Once you go fat it's tough to go back... (Seeking master level PRS knoweldge)

CJM3175

I started with wide thin, went to patten, and now it is clear that I have a neck preference. What is the fattest neck profile that PRS has ever produced? I'm sure there must be more variance than what is listed on the website. A special Mccarty, DGT, or Santana model that was particularly chunkier than the others. Considering all years, all models, who is the chunkiest girl in the PRS closet?

I'd say the Santana is the biggest. The Bernie Marsden is big too. Someone will probably know the actual dimensions and I could look them up but I'm lazy.

I actually like playing different sizes. The different feel makes me play differently.

From what I have played and owned the Santana is the roundest , the Wide fat is the biggest overall

Don't worry AP515, my skinny girl isn't going anywhere. I love having variety in my collection as well, but I am trying to experience as much of what PRS has had to offer through the years prior to ordering a private stock. I will order one one day, and I want to make sure it has all my favorite PRS curves cuts and hardware ;-)

Fattest neck I ever played on a PRS was on a Howard Leese Golden Eagle. Absolutely massive neck. Pretty sure Paul and Co. just used actual baseball bats :p I think it was labeled as a Wide Fat neck on the spec sheet back then but it may have had an artist specific name for the profile. It was super comfortable for what it's worth just kinda shocked me how large the profile was at first.

Nothing like the good old Wide-Fat. The Pattern is close, but the extra meat on the shoulders for the Wide-Fat feels really good in the hand :D. I don't know how much it affects the tone or anything, but all my favorite guitars have big-beefy necks.

While on this subject.... The ce has a wide thin which feels good. My se245 has a chunky neck and is labeled wide fat. The se single cut korina is somewhere in between. How does pattern regular and pattern thin stack up to these?

As an aside, I've found that having a few different neck shapes helps keep my hands feeling good.

I try to wear different pairs of shoes every day, too. Which also keeps my hands feeling good. ;)

Back