Once Were Brothers: The Band

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
Now on Hulu the movie: Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band

If you want to know what it was like for these men in those ancient musical times, including some photographs and home movies, this is it. The stories of Dylan and The Band getting booed are classic and how Big Pink was the critical location in Woodstock.

I saw The Band on their 'Stage Fright' European Tour, 1971, Frankfurt, Germany.

The 1974 tour with Dylan was a sensational success and the live album, 'Before The Flood' went Platinum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan_and_the_Band_1974_Tour

The Levon Helm backstory story is sad though...

Highly recommended.

I watched this over the weekend. I will admit, I was not much of a Band fan. I knew they were all incredible players but I built up in my mind for so many years that their music was overrated and without Dylan they were nothing and Levon Helm was the only American in a band of Canadians and they were all coked up in The Last Waltz movie blah blah blah. But after watching this documentary, I went back and actually listened to the first two albums and I really did enjoy them after listening with a clear mindset. I was kind of puzzled why Garth Hudson wasn't featured in it as he and Robbie are the only two members remaining but I did some Googling and Robbie said that Garth was a recluse and was in poor health. Still one of the best documentaries I have seen in a long time.

Back