Once upon a time, sort of long ago

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
10 years ago I picked up an incredible guitar. I share snippet's of it from time to time, but maybe its time for it to come out of the closet. A few of the old timers know how it came to my hands. Those details don't really matter much any more, beyond that I made some promises: it wouldn't be posted on guitar forums (I believe the company forum gets a pass) and it wouldn't appear on EBay (I consider Reverb to be an extension of that commitment).

Anyway...
CK_01ViolaCase.JPG

If that isn't enough to make you gasp a little bit, you might as well tune out now.
CK_12ViolaSerial.JPG

I'm sure you all know of the Violin guitars. This prototype is interesting in that it is very different from the run that went to market. Witness the neck.

This guitar was built for Paul, and as such the wood choices are somewhat different that those in the special production runs. Paul wants the guitar to sing and that starts with the wood having a voice. You may see 'imperfections' in some of these photos. I can honestly say that I agree with Paul that those imperfections are part of what makes the guitar perfect.

There are a few things that make this guitar virtually impossible to reproduce.

The guitar is stained with oil paint powders. There is so much detail in this top that even after 10 years I still look at it with amazement. Without question, this is the most compelling finish of my electric guitars.
CK_04ViolaTopDetail.JPG

The guitar has prototype collection pickups. Its a shame the rest of you can't get these electronics because they are far and away the best balanced pickups I have used. The tone adjusts tone and the volume adjust volume - none of the tone interaction with volume that annoyed me with some pickups. The biggest treat to me is that you can do all the switching between pickups configuration without having to touch the volume - it stays level whatever you do with switches. Bloody awesome.
CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

You might think that a guy who is well known for exceptional inlays would be tempted to go over the top while building an heirloom guitar. But... simple and understated is the word of the day.
CK_3551ViolaInlayDetail.jpeg

Back