on the verge of pulling the trigger - McCarty with Narrowfields

srmd22

There is a beautiful used 25th Anniversary McCarty with narrowfields available for 2k which I played for awhile, and really dug the narrowfield pups.

Does anyone own one of these (the "swamp ash special" is somewhat similar, which the SSS S-style configuration, sounds a bit different), and what are peoples opinions of the narrowfield pickups, in general?

there's a gorgeous one on ebay right now for $1100 with three hours to go

i have a mccarty quilt 10-top ( actually it's on it's way to the ptc as i write) that i just loooooooooooooooooooooooooove! the narrowfield's will sound a little different depending on the guitar. my budde has a nf3, and they are a tad darker in the korina body compared to my mahogany body/maple top mccarty, but they sound killer in both. i am a huge fan of the narrowfields!!!

I personally think that the McCarty narrowfields are the bomb. The pickups in that guitar are just fantastic.

Played it again today.
EyLOt69F17Eq00-ZHjCN4c3eQ4V8AmbMehGJ04dgRD8=w223-h207-p-no

IMG_0136.JPG

M41wPlD.jpg

GcXUsJU.jpg

Very, very close to pulling the trigger. Just wondering if I wouldn't prefer the SAS.

Also, it looks a lot like my custom:
zhgCWEqN_ccHhJ_4x6R_hQPL33YJwbj01Nes1axpi7g=w277-h368-p-no

9OcOOLK.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I very much perfered the NFs in the McCarty over the SAS. Totally different sound in my opinion. Here's mine...

MC25-1_zpsed3dfccf.jpg

I played a McCarty Narrowfield a while ago and they are exceptional guitars.

I think I am gonna do it. If it is still there when I get back to the store this week, I'm pullin' the trigger! (It has been hangin' on the wall, waaaay up in the back, for a couple of months, but who knows, it could disappear any time! Which would save me some $$ anyway, but I'd be sad. Guess I'll have 'em put it on hold.)

I did it. I took the plunge and am now a bit farther from retirement, whereas the folks at GC and PRS are a bit closer.

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

So far, I really like it. Really cool sound. Sounds awesome to me clean and distorted. In fact, I think it is one of the nicest sounding guitars I have heard (but I have quite varied and eclectic tastes- I love a lot of different sounding guitars).

Technically, this one is not a 10 top, because of the way it is matched, I guess, but the grain and finish are really spectacular. I tend to prefer a simpler, less "furniturey" style, eg. I love natural finished teles, but I am very glad to have this gorgeously patterned wood in my collection.

CONGRATS!!! you will not regret it. (you can buy a "dime-a-dozen" stinkin' telecaster anytime) the more you play the narrowfields, the more you are going to like them. then after a while, you'll say "there's no way i could be without the narrowfield sound" after having it. so many people dont know what there missing out on by not giving the narrowfield's a chance! congrat's again, and thanks for joining the club!

Yup. I played this baby all evening and all this morning, and I am hooked. It is staying.

Back