On The Hunt for My First PRS

RobG814

Hey Everyone!

I have been lurking these forums for a while but finally decided to sign up for an account. Thanks to everyone for all of the great info and resources on this forum!

Anyway, I have been playing for a few years now and am getting the itch for a PRS. I remember playing one in a shop when I first started and I loved the feel of it. Fast forward to now, I am hooked on the band Goose and it has reignited my interest in a PRS.

I currently have a very nice American Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Standard so I’m looking for something a little different. I’m looking at used guitars in the SE and S2 line currently and really like the idea of a semi hollow or full hollow guitar.

I like the pricing of SE but I am a little concerned that the quality will not be up to my standards compared to my USA Fender and Gibson. The S2 seems like a good step up so I am leaning in that direction but it looks like they no longer make the semi hollow custom 22. I have seen a handful of used ones around though so I am sure I can still find one.

I plan to head to some shops this weekend to see what they have and compare the quality of SE vs S2 but I thought I would get some input here first.

Here are the ones on my radar but I am open to any other opinions:

S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow
S2 Custom 22 or 24 (solid)
SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow
SE Hollowbody II

Thanks in advance!
Rob

The new SE Semi Hollows are not really all that “hollow” sounding, at all. They’re like a (maybe) slightly lighter CU22 with an F Hole aesthetic. I kinda feel the same way about the semi hollow S2’s, but my experience is limited to the Vela.

Definitely try and stretch your budget to an S2. If I were doing it all over again, a S2 Standard 24 with a trem and electronics upgrade would be a great guitar.

I would get the Paul's SE guitar. Very impressive guitar. I have one and as well as Core 594 semi-hollow. Both great. Paul's SE is very impressive regardless of price. Lots of good reviews out there.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn’t seen that one. Looks like it could be a good option to add to the list.

The new SE Semi Hollows are not really all that “hollow” sounding, at all. They’re like a (maybe) slightly lighter CU22 with an F Hole aesthetic. I kinda feel the same way about the semi hollow S2’s, but my experience is limited to the Vela.

Definitely try and stretch your budget to an S2. If I were doing it all over again, a S2 Standard 24 with a trem and electronics upgrade would be a great guitar.
My gut is telling me to go with an S2 as well. I think the SE will leave me wanting more but we will see if that changes once I find a few to play.

I was leaning towards a custom vs a standard. Any specific reason you suggest the standard instead?

Welcome to the forum RobG814! I would definitely add the Vela (semi hollow or solid) to your list of PRS axes to grind before you buy!! I personally have not played one, but have never heard a bad thing about them either!!!
Thanks! I do really like the looks of the Vela, I will have to track one down. There’s a good priced Mira for sale near me I might go check out as well.

I own SE, S2, and a PRS CE24. I play my S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow the most. It is not a semi-hollow that will match the sound of a 335. There is more of a mid-focus compared to a solid body like my CE though with a bit less bottom end, and it is lighter by a pound or so. I also prefer the 22 frets over the 24 on the CE. I play it more because it just fits me the best for some reason of all my PRS. The CE is built better though. If I had a CE22 the story might be different. Your mileage may vary.

My gut is telling me to go with an S2 as well. I think the SE will leave me wanting more but we will see if that changes once I find a few to play.

I was leaning towards a custom vs a standard. Any specific reason you suggest the standard instead?

Betty approves……. Greal guitars, this one sports a set of SD Pearly Gates:):)

Well I got to play a few today at a local shop:

SE Hollowbody II
SE Custom 24
S2 Mira
S2 McCarty 594

I came to the conclusion that S2 is what I’m after. The finish, feel and quality of them were a huge step up from the SE models in my opinion. I’m aiming for an S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow but who knows, that might change if I find a good deal on another model.

Cheaper, and I feel they sound better.

Back