On line purchases, the pitfalls!

It’s a jungle out there! I use the Bay, the Verb, armslist, GB, etc. I’ve never had any MAJOR issues but I have had folks try anything/everything to avoid paying via any platform that offers seller protection.

I recently sold something that was listed as buy it now and ‘accepting offers’. I received numerous bogus emails for trades (appliances, guns, clothes, etc) and cash offers higher than list price IF we could do the deal face to face (external to the Bay or the Verb).

As for buying items online, it’s hit or miss. I have learned to ask a lot of questions after I got burned by buying fake Uggs on the Bay. They looked legit but felt wrong... too late to get money back. Asking lots of questions will usually expose the bogus-ness. Fortunately, all of my online used guitar purchases have gone smoothly.

Regarding this guy with the tubescreamer, shouldn’t the Bay remove him so others don’t get caught up in the PayPal mess?

Re: the mini... I found it to be brighter than a 808. It’s a great pedal especially if using it as your only tubescreamer. If you had a 808 and a 9 as well as the mini then you might prefer one over the other for certain feels. I almost bought a Bonsai to cover ALL the screamers before I decided on the 808.

Likewise regards transactions, just as long as we receive notifications stating: "On the truck for delivery." Only concern is when one orders the creamed chipped beef on toast, one expects to receive the creamed chipped beef on toast...:rolleyes:

I’ve had good luck mostly. Bummer but at least you didn’t get screwed out of any money. I did have a similar issue buying a combo amp that I won at a stellar price. I think it was just an inexperienced seller and when she figured out what the cost to ship it was. I filed a dispute, got my money back so besides my funds being tied up for a bit, not a huge issue other than the frustration.

I got scammed once... I bought a Mesa Dual rectifier Tremoverb off of ebay. When it arrived I head glass moving around inside (bad sign, the seller didnt pack the tubes separately as asked). I cleaned it up and threw some other tubes in it and tried to power it on but it wouldnt turn on. I checked the fuse holder and inside was a rolled up piece of paper! (bad sign #2). Put another fuse in and then it turned on finally, but both channels were partially lit up and simultaneously active and it sounded like trash. I took it to the only local tech who just laughed and repeated "You got F*****!" over and over while laughing. Apparently it had an LDR failure that was "repaired" terribly.

eBay was not really any help, they said i won the dispute, return the amp to the seller and they would guarantee I would get $250 back (the amp was about $1k) I ended up getting it repaired by Mesa for about $600. The seller ended up paying $200 of that. But the amp was killer when it got back from Mesa! So I played and enjoyed it for probably 10 years, so it all worked out I guess, just a lot of trouble and an extra 40% added to the cost for repairs.

It’s a jungle out there! I use the Bay, the Verb, armslist, GB, etc. I’ve never had any MAJOR issues but I have had folks try anything/everything to avoid paying via any platform that offers seller protection.

I recently sold something that was listed as buy it now and ‘accepting offers’. I received numerous bogus emails for trades (appliances, guns, clothes, etc) and cash offers higher than list price IF we could do the deal face to face (external to the Bay or the Verb).

As for buying items online, it’s hit or miss. I have learned to ask a lot of questions after I got burned by buying fake Uggs on the Bay. They looked legit but felt wrong... too late to get money back. Asking lots of questions will usually expose the bogus-ness. Fortunately, all of my online used guitar purchases have gone smoothly.

Regarding this guy with the tubescreamer, shouldn’t the Bay remove him so others don’t get caught up in the PayPal mess?

Re: the mini... I found it to be brighter than a 808. It’s a great pedal especially if using it as your only tubescreamer. If you had a 808 and a 9 as well as the mini then you might prefer one over the other for certain feels. I almost bought a Bonsai to cover ALL the screamers before I decided on the 808.

Thanks @Casi1 we call them Fuggs here! And they’re rife!

You would think that eBay would stop the item from being re-listed. However PP and EB don’t talk to each other any more!

The fact that the seller didn’t kick up a stink when I didn’t complete the sale and offered me a chance to re-bid made me laugh!

I just feel sorry for the folk that are bidding on the item as we speak!

As far as the TS9/TS808 debate goes, I’m not prepared to pay the stupid used prices that pedals are going for!

For example a DS1 is up for sale at £25 on Facebook Marketplace and a used TS9 is up for anything between three and four times as much because they’re fashionable!

Rick makes a valid point that clones have their place too.

Thanks @Casi1 we call them Fuggs here! And they’re rife!

You would think that eBay would stop the item from being re-listed. However PP and EB don’t talk to each other any more!

The fact that the seller didn’t kick up a stink when I didn’t complete the sale and offered me a chance to re-bid made me laugh!

I just feel sorry for the folk that are bidding on the item as we speak!

As far as the TS9/TS808 debate goes, I’m not prepared to pay the stupid used prices that pedals are going for!

For example a DS1 is up for sale at £25 on Facebook Marketplace and a used TS9 is up for anything between three and four times as much because they’re fashionable!

Rick makes a valid point that clones have their place too.

Yeah I wish I had known what to look for before I made that shoe purchase, lol.

I’m all for clones. I’m firing up a Timmy clone as I type this... I’m trying to use it as a boost for my McCarty.

When I first discovered tubescreamers, I ended up finding a Keeley modded 808 and an Analogman 808. They are both awesome but sound really different. I was just about to push the button on an EH East River Drive (less than $50 used) when those 808s popped up for sale.

I’m using a Plexion clone as an OD pedal at the moment and that mixed with my chorus pedal, with my semi-hollow pushing neck humbucker and bridge split on south coil gives me a pretty convincing Brian May sound. Well to my ears anyway!

My little Mesa obviously helps too!

Back