On 50th tragedyversary of Kent State May 4th guess its CSNY

GrumpyOldDba

As great as Crosby Still Nash and Young are I just typically don't play them much anymore.

Making up for that today.

As flawed as some sections of 4 way street are it's just magnificent at other times.

Kent State has a nice tribute page up, including a beautifully done 50-minute video that revisits that day. There are interviews with the survivors, lots of photos, and a lot of video I don't think I've ever seen. Including audio during the shooting, and near the end, audio of an administrator begging the students to disperse. One of the scariest moments is seeing an administrator negotiating with the National Guard leaders to get a chance to convince the students to leave. It really sounded like the Guard was gearing up for a second attack (but that's strictly conjecture on my part).

https://www.kent.edu/may4kentstate50

The National Guard should not have had live ammo on campus but there was a Teamsters Union strike earlier that week around Akron Cleveland area. That live ammo should have been removed before campus deployment.

Just scared kids mostly shooting into a crowd. No reason i cannot think why they would not have fired into the air instead.

Kent State has a nice tribute page up, including a beautifully done 50-minute video that revisits that day. There are interviews with the survivors, lots of photos, and a lot of video I don't think I've ever seen. Including audio during the shooting, and near the end, audio of an administrator begging the students to disperse. One of the scariest moments is seeing an administrator negotiating with the National Guard leaders to get a chance to convince the students to leave. It really sounded like the Guard was gearing up for a second attack (but that's strictly conjecture on my part).

https://www.kent.edu/may4kentstate50
Thanks Alan. My freshman year was at Kent State, admitted as a architecture major for Fall 1970. Taylor Hall was where classes were held, there on top of the hill. I can recall sitting at my drafting desk on the and seeing tourists visiting the site; some were somber, others photographed sticking their finger through the bullet hole in the metal sculpture out front. The yearbook hadn't come out by the time they had closed the universities so they sold them the following September, With that extra time it gave the editors the opportunity to document the tragedy, complete with a thin vinyl 45 with the sounds captured by reporters. I still have mine.

That was another place, another time, and it is hard to understand today how such a thing could happen. Maybe impossible to understand if you weren't alive to experience the totality of the times in America then. After all the fanfare surrounding it, on reflection, no one wins. You'd think we'd learn better ways, but that kind of hate/separation is brewing again today, and it seems eerily familiar. I can only hope I am wrong.

On a really more positive note, I loved Crosby, Stills, Nash and the occasional Young back then. When Deja Vu came out, which was C, S, N, & Y & T & R... lol, we wore the grooves off that vinyl. If you want to learn to sing pop harmony, the lesson plan is right there.

Back