OMG! Intonation help!!!

Ok, if I understand the prs website on intonating a Stoptail piece..it says play the 12th fret, and then match the harmonic on 12th. Is that right??

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Tune each string up to pitch with a GOOD strobe tuner. Play the note on the 12th fret and compare it to the harmonic note played at the same fret. Adjust the stoptail either sharp or flat to match the note played at the 12th.

Make sure you've got your action and truss rod adjusted where you want them and do the intonation last.

Do these adjustments in the playing position and not with the guitar flat on a worktop.

...and don't fret the 12th any harder or softer than you do when you're playing - especially if you have jumbo frets.

Thanks, the stoptail piece was throwing me off. And to my dismay, especially considering how loing I've been playing, I've always done open and 12th. Not harmonic. I guess today i got a little better! lol

Thanks, the stoptail piece was throwing me off. And to my dismay, especially considering how loing I've been playing, I've always done open and 12th. Not harmonic. I guess today i got a little better! lol

There's a few techs out there who believe that's actually the better method...

I've always used open and 12 harmonic without issues though.

EDIT: 12th fret harmonic to 12th fret fretted. :eek:

C'mon it's way past bed time!

Last edited:
There's a few techs out there who believe that's actually the better method...

I've always used open and 12 harmonic without issues though.
I will check with all 3 when I have ample time. The harmonic is just a little more controlled, not allowing the string to vibrate excessively. Either will work. I mean, you're more often playing the string open than a harmonic, so in theory would be more accurate but I can't say my open string has ever been off from the harmonic.

Last edited:
I think you mean either:
open and 12th fret
or
12th fret harmonic and 12th fret

Comparing open and 12th fret harmonic isn't right...

Yep, I ballsed that up! :)

Tune up open string to pitch and compare 12th fret harmonic to 12 fret fretted.

Pretty sure Dan Erweline suggests setting intonation by comparing open to 12 fret fretted. Anyone got his book?

Hans made a good point though about fretting pressure. You'd be surprised how much a death grip will throw your intonation off.

I use the open then 12th fret technique, but I had a luthier show me once to intonate at the "e's" along the fretboard for each string. I do know that intonating the stoptail on a PRS is a pain without having adjustable saddles for each string. I put a tone pros adjustable bringe on my CU22 just because of this.

I'm a moron. For 20 years I've been comparing open to 12th fret harmonic and wondering why my intonation never sounded quite right. Thank God for techs!

Back