Older Singlecuts/250's/245's/SC58's/Ted's: Trash or Treasure?

sergiodeblanc

Hopefully that's a clickbait-y enough thread title.

I have Singlecut GAS. I'm sure the overwhelming response will be to get a SC594 but, I'm a baller on a budget.

What about all those older models? I've seen 'em all over CL, Reverb, and eBay going for pretty reasonable (read: bargain) prices. I know some of y'all either had 'em or still do, what do you like about them? What made you ditch them and go buy whatever you did? Will one quench my thirst (and which one is your favorite) for a LP-style guitar? Are they pretty much the same-ish sounding as their double-cut cousins?

I'm enamored with the Ted... But damn, do I want a Goldtop.

Talk to me.

Serg...Keep an eye out for a Stripper...I would imagine workmanship similar on all you listed (you know, being typical PRS and all...)...and with the mahogany /maple combo, the pickups are the choice...and you're gonna possibly swap 'em out anyway...and I think you'll find them at the lowest $$$

I'm growing fonder by the day of my SC 250. Now that I've gotten used to it, I like the knob array better than the classic lester arrangement. It's more logical in a spatial sense, which means it's easier to change things up on the fly because I don't have to get onto the mental "nearer-or-farther-from-what-again" side track. I feel like there is more "there" there with the singlecut body, thick beefy tone. It has a lester thing going, but I would liken the tone more to Jeff Beck's heavily modded "oxblood" lester or an early 70s Custom with the bridge t-top swapped out for a Duncan or DiMarzio. It's substantial but not heavy, and with the weight relief chambers on my '08 it resonates and sustains really well. Nice big open chords with harmonic overtones aplenty. The 25" scale gives it nice zing on the attack. I like the pickups, and I didn't expect to. The bass is fantastic, warm and creamy but well-defined. While the treble doesn't clean up quite as spanky as I'd like, it does just about every other bridge bucker sound I like with aplomb, and I can get close enough to the spanky sound with a blended middle position setting. I like the wraparound bridge, it has quick response and feels smoother to me when I bridge mute than a tune-o-matic bridge does. I may revise this opinion when I swap strings, but it's got more room between the pickup and bridge than the other wraparound guitar I contend with, so it'll probably be fine. I'm still very early in the relationship, but I don't see myself ditching this axe for anything.

Had several SCs and liked them a lot. Looked great, played great, sounded great
But as they usually are 1kg heavier than DCs (Customs, McCarties) my back started to prefer the later lately.

Can't speak to the new 594's but nothing but praise for the original 2000 - 2003 SC's with #7's. My 2000 SC kills my 2006 (20th anni) SC artist package. Frets are worn down for a reason!

The Recent SC245's with the 58/15's are already selling for cheap and have most of the 594 appointments minus the extra fraction of an inch scale length, neck shape and LT pickups. I personally prefer the regular 58/15's, the LT's lack punch for harder rock in my opinion especially that bridge pickup.The 594 neck shape is nice but again the pattern regular is also great, especially if you satin finish it. You can score one for 1800-200 easily and i think its more than worth it.

I think I've had all of the SC models over the years, and only sold 'em out of guilt when I had GAS and bought something else, usually studio stuff.

They're all really great, each in its own way.

The 25" scale length guitars are powerful, modern instruments in every way. If you're into the 25" scale length PRSes, you'll feel at home on it. I think I've had three from various years.

When PRS went to the 2 piece bridge, and the 24.5 inch scale length, they started sounding a little more vintage. But they still have a ton of oomph. Yes they're heavy, but you can get a world of tones out of them, and they really tend to drive an amp in a sweet way. I had a Stripped 58 -- incredible and what a bargain! -- an SC245, an SC58, and the HOTG.

So I'd second the recommendation for a Stripped 58, unless you need something very modern sounding.

my 07 satin singlecut is the BEST guitar I have ever owned, and would never get rid of it. also had a Chris Henderson (3pup) that was great.

My P245 sounded great. IMO, it sounds like a PRS... a little thinner and brighter than my McCarty. Some commonality with the Les Paul, but a little more refined and modern with a more focused sound (and it stayed in tune).

The only reason I sold it is because I decided I like DCs better.

It depends what you're looking for. The older singlecuts (pre-07) are a great halfway house between modern and vintage - I've owned 3 including a braz limited, and liked them all. I've also had a 2007 245, an 06 Tremonti and a couple of sc250s, as well as a couple of singlecut trems. Personally, I like a modern sound, prefer 25'' scale , so I've kept a 250, Tremonti and sct and have zero interest in anything after 2007 (when they messed with the birds) - however, everything I read on here from people who wanted a more vintage feeling and sounding lp type guitar says the 594 has hit it out of the park- you may already know your preference- if not, play as many as you can- that small difference in scale length is massive when you spend time with them
Good luck

I really like my SC245 and SC250. There are a couple of other spec differences between the two that might cloud comparisons a bit. 245 has 59/09 and mahogany neck. The 250 has 57/08 and maple neck.

Both feel pretty much the same to me playing and are much more comfortable than my Lesters. An hour with the LP is a long time, not at all with either SC. Tuning is far more stable on the SCs and the truss rod needs fiddling far less frequently.

To my ears the 245 is much more like the LP. The tone control behaviour is very different on the SC in that it has a volume impact with the volume off max - not an issue if you aren't inclined to fiddle tone mid song.

I think they are very different sounding than a similar spec double cut.

I don't really wanna go SE or S2, I have an SE and it's rad, but I'm tryin' to kick the SE habit.

I love Teds
Likewise...especially with a rosewood neck!

Yup. Bodia's Ted is what got me started thinkin' about an SC, then that fateful day at MA Pete's house finished me off.

I think I'd be most interested in a 245 or a Ted because of the "vintage"-ness and wanting it to be more LP-like. I've seen a bunch of 'em on GC's used site but I can't really trust their descriptions based off of some of their other listings that I know are plain wrong.

The Henderson looks attractive with the whole triple-banger-buckers thing going on. My last LP was a 70's GT Deluxe that had been routed with a spoon for a middle 'bucker. I loved that guitar, but moved it after going "all in" on PRS. I wouldn't mind replicating it but... 25" scale.

I have a 245 Limited and a 250 AP. Both are easily my favorite guitars. They feel and sound amazing. Not sure why people would rid of them, they are awesome.

Back