Older PRS Hollow Body that was thicker

Revelation

I just saw a video where Paul said he loved the thicker Hollowbody they had but they didn't sell until they stopped production. See at 4:00 in the video.

Has anyone compared the tone of this guitar to the current Hollowbody II 594? I kinda wish they still had this guitar available. If you already have a 594, getting a other guitar thst is exactly the same except its a hollowbody....might as well get a PRS Studio instead if you want more of a different sound?

One of my first PRS exposures was an open stage in 2002 or so with a dude that was playing this model. Pretty thick looking, and I've been playing Kansas City ever since (that's the tune he wanted to jam). Every time I play that song I hear that tone in my head (but not in my hands 'cos I usually play an Alembic live :) )

Really super post!!!

Last edited:
That was the PRS Archtop II. It's the same as a McCarty/ Hollowbody II in shape and size, but (obviously) with a deeper body.

As Paul said, they only made them in 1998-99 and they didn't sell, so they stopped production. I'd love for PRS to bring them back.

I got mine from Serious Poo here back in 2009, then put in 53/10s. It is not a 10-top but does have a bit of figuring. No piezo.

Photos, again from my talented friend David Campbell:

2014-01-26-0072_psd.jpg

2014-01-26-0074_psd.jpg

Here's what it sounds like (clean electric fingerstyle) - give it a minute, the tempo does pick up:

Wow, I would love that guitar! I already have a 594 McCarty and feel the Hollowbody II is perhaps too similar to my guitar with the same body and pickups. So this Archtop would be amazing.

What pickups did they use and how different does it sound from the current Hollowbody? Just a little more acoustic sounding?

What pickups did they use and how different does it sound from the current Hollowbody? Just a little more acoustic sounding?

I'm think mine has Archtop pickups although I'm not certain. I've compared it with a HB I, HB II, HB Spruce, & 594 HB. I would only describe it as more acoustic sounding unplugged. Into an amp it just sounds huge and with a lot of clarity. I love it through my Soldano at volume. The top just vibrates like crazy and it's very sensitive to pick attack. It might be the most expressive guitar I've ever owned.

It makes sense it would be more acoustic sounding unplugged. But how does the neck pickup sound clean through an amp compared to the current Hollowbody II?

It makes sense it would be more acoustic sounding unplugged. But how does the neck pickup sound clean through an amp compared to the current Hollowbody II?
The neck pickup sounds great. Definitely, less gain from the low output pickup. So more clean and full in my opinion.

My harem is full right now... this has been on the market for a bit and has come down in price (CAD). Sweet...

***EDIT*** to say this is not my sale, just local (to me) CL sale...

Last edited:
I just saw a video where Paul said he loved the thicker Hollowbody they had but they didn't sell until they stopped production. See at 4:00 in the video.

Has anyone compared the tone of this guitar to the current Hollowbody II 594? I kinda wish they still had this guitar available. If you already have a 594, getting a other guitar thst is exactly the same except its a hollowbody....might as well get a PRS Studio instead if you want more of a different sound?

Just rewatched this video... he mentioned there were spruce tops.

The Archtops are my fav model of the Hollowbody family.

I have 2. An Archtop II - maple front and back in teal black and an Archtop IV - spruce top, maple back and Brazilian fretboard. They came with the Archtop pickups. Such a great full sound.

L-R: AT II teal black, HBII Blue Matteo, AT IV

DSCN3753a.png

DSCN3741a.png

That was the PRS Archtop II. It's the same as a McCarty/ Hollowbody II in shape and size, but (obviously) with a deeper body.

As Paul said, they only made them in 1998-99 and they didn't sell, so they stopped production. I'd love for PRS to bring them back.

I got mine from Serious Poo here back in 2009, then put in 53/10s. It is not a 10-top but does have a bit of figuring. No piezo.

Photos, again from my talented friend David Campbell:

2014-01-26-0072_psd.jpg

2014-01-26-0074_psd.jpg

Here's what it sounds like (clean electric fingerstyle) - give it a minute, the tempo does pick up:

looks great and sounds great!! thanks for sharing :)

Back