Older 245 SE Standard vs newer model

Mbell75

Any real difference between the older 245 SE Standard with the black pickups vs the newer models with the zebra pickups? Different pickups?

I believe so. Around 2010 they upgraded all the SE line with improved pickups. The change was pretty dramatic. Since then I don't know of a specific pickup change. So of the two you are considering cross the 2010 timeline, you will hear a pretty big difference.

So a 2015 with black pickups and a 2018 with zebra pickups have the same pickups? Its just the color that changed? I thought the older ones were 245 pickups and the newer ones are called 245 S pickups?

The change I am thinking of was from G&B pickups to SE 245's, and HFS/Vintage and Santana, and just about every SE model. They revamped all the pickups. In 2015 they may have started putting S2 versions in them. I just checked the website and they are listed as 245 "S" pups. It would make sense. They don't have to keep two lines supplied with pickups, they just take the best ones and go with it. So that means the new pickups are the same specs as the S2 American specs. The old ones are still a better pickup than the old G&B's which were just so so. Win either way.

I thought there was a change in 2017. Or was that just the SE Customs getting 85/15 S pups?

I think the new Se245 Singlecut Standards have an adjustable bridge now too. Mine came with one, just got it around March, even though the photo on the PRS site shows a non-adjustable bridge. Especially considering it is their cheapest guitar, I am very impressed!

Back