Old private stock

Are private stock models that are sub 1000 collectable?

Are sub 1000 PS models also better in terms of attention to detail than the modern PS models?

Attention to detail no. I owned a sub 1000 PS with a brazilian neck, and I never see brazilian of that quality these days from any manufacturer. The woods available may be different now.

I don't think there is any magic to sub 1000.
They are all good.
There might come a time when the first few get more love, but I think that would be single, maybe double digits.
Mostly it's the merits of a particular guitar.

Imagine a time in the future and assume we haven't blown the planet up.

You're a consumer from the newly minted global middle class of China, Brazil, India. You're a subset of a 4 billionish population that gets interested in guitar. You want a quality instrument that doubles as art from an established big brand.

Upon approaching a PRS dealer about private stock, you're told that certain woods such as cocobolo have not been available since 2017 due to CITES regulations. You're also told that PS no longer comes with hand signatures from the founder-namesake.

In their place are other types of wood not so synonymous with traditional guitar construction, and the excellence of a new generation PRS team.

The price quoted by the dealer is X dollars.

Then you see a few old minty fresh PS guitars on a US website with the nicest figured Rosewood necks. Doing research you discover you can legally buy these guitars across international borders because they were manufactured pre-convention as far as CITES is concerned. You also see a nice PRS signature behind the headstocks which apart from historical meaning, means that a certain person inspected the guitars.

How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for these old guitars, over and above what the dealer quoted for the new PS?

I am looking at a Singlecut 2002, with a brazilian neck and, fingerboard and S.A mahogany.

It has Phase 2 Locking tuners too.

It is a 25 inch singlecut, with 4 control pots, not an SC245.

Imagine a time in the future and assume we haven't blown the planet up.

You're a consumer from the newly minted global middle class of China, Brazil, India. You're a subset of a 4 billionish population that gets interested in guitar. You want a quality instrument that doubles as art from an established big brand.

Upon approaching a PRS dealer about private stock, you're told that certain woods such as cocobolo have not been available since 2017 due to CITES regulations. You're also told that PS no longer comes with hand signatures from the founder-namesake.

In their place are other types of wood not so synonymous with traditional guitar construction, and the excellence of a new generation PRS team.

The price quoted by the dealer is X dollars.

Then you see a few old minty fresh PS guitars on a US website with the nicest figured Rosewood necks. Doing research you discover you can legally buy these guitars across international borders because they were manufactured pre-convention as far as CITES is concerned. You also see a nice PRS signature behind the headstocks which apart from historical meaning, means that a certain person inspected the guitars.

How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for these old guitars, over and above what the dealer quoted for the new PS?

Okay, but what am I wearing?

why did PRS stop celtic knots on PS models?

They became exclusive to Collection models.

Incidentally, the new PS guitars certainly equal (or exceed) the early ones in quality; PRS innovates constantly as well, so a very good argument could be made that they're better than ever.

Back