Old Guitar, New Appreciation

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Taking new photos makes you rediscover how beautiful these things are. “Take My Breath Away” - Berlin
L5xbXnR.jpg
kIBmfIH.jpg

I never said it was bad. I just couldn't figure out why it looked like that. I honestly never saw anything like it before.
Many makers are starting to use wood that was rejected as flawed by earlier standards for instrument materials. Some have been at it a while in specialty or custom guitars. Taylor Guitars are big into it, and are even involved in the forestry part of the process. As noted, it’s not a structural or stability issue, and only affects appearance. Some like it quite a bit, even preferring it to the “normal” all-the-same-shade fingerboard or body materials. I’m one of the guys who prefers the traditional look, but have seen some of the more variegated ones that look really cool. It’s just a preference thing.

I have a lovely custom made electric, that has a PS stock grade quilt top. It has two burls (one either side of the waist). I love it, others may not.

The back is one piece of European Walnut, with a really unusual grain pattern running through it. I call it the cows stomach. Again it’s special to me, maybe not so much for anyone else.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have a lovely custom made electric, that has a PS stock grade quilt top. It has two burls (one either side of the waist). I love it, others may not.

The back is one piece of European Walnut, with a really unusual grain pattern running through it. I call it the cows stomach. Again it’s special to me, maybe not so much for anyone else.

Sounds beautiful!

I'm enthralled Mr R, please share some pictures, if you don't mind?

I sure would like to take a peak if I may.

Back