Old EG question

Lee B.

I stitch my wings and pull the strings.
Hi, I've got a really early (SN# 50062) Series I EG-3. The neck joint is a little wiggly because the super thin neck plate used back then has warped inward on the corners. I don't feel comfortable cranking it tighter for fear of stressing the thin pocket wood and cracking it. Would a replacement neck plate help in your opinion? If so, would it be possible to get a replacement neck plate? Thanks again for your time!

Hi, I've got a really early (SN# 50062) Series I EG-3. The neck joint is a little wiggly because the super thin neck plate used back then has warped inward on the corners. I don't feel comfortable cranking it tighter for fear of stressing the thin pocket wood and cracking it. Would a replacement neck plate help in your opinion? If so, would it be possible to get a replacement neck plate? Thanks again for your time!

If they can't help out, and the neck plate has the same dimensions as the CE (the screw positions specifically), I've got a resource.

If the neck joint has got a little wiggly, the safest option might be to have it checked and it may need a shim to correct any movement!

Just a thought, the movement may not be that serious. However, better safe than....

The neck pocket movement only typically happens if I go bonkers with a wide bend or angry vibrato where I might inadvertently apply a smidgeon of vertical force. The action typically stays true, so it may not be a huge deal. Because the neck plate is warped, I mostly worry that movement could make the stress on the pocket more acute, and I've read that a fair number early EGs have had neck pocket cracking sorts of issues. Thanks again for any help or advice you could give.

Back