Old Dog, New Tricks.

I am always trying to grow. I enjoy a lot of different music and try to always be fresh in my listening. I try to never get into a rut and do this by changing styles of nuances of my playing. I may lose the pick and force myself to only use fingers and guitar controls. I may plug into a different amp and not touch any settings and force myself to find a way to make it sound good and musical in some way. I may change tunings or add or take away effects. Anything that may trigger an idea is a good thing for me. I try to always track ideas. I usually use my phone for that just to capture it. Tempo changes, time signatures, etc. Trying to play less and say more. Be more efficient in my notes and my technique. Forcing myself to allow more space at times. All these things are simple things however they are things I am mindful about. Melodies, subtle background playing that isn't too noticeable but really has an impact....little things. I love working on that stuff and trying to have something of value to say at all times. Playing is crucial and playing with other or along with records and such is great. I want to have fun when I play and even doing silly stuff like only playing odd or even numbered frets to come up with different things can take you places that can spark an idea. I do all kinds of silly stuff and I think it works. I admit, I am not a schooled musician. To those who are maybe what I say is cringe worthy? I was always one to color a bit outside the lines and rules weren't always my thing. I know we need them at times though. Rant over. :)
Not a rant at all!

I think doing the things you're talking about are great ideas to stay fresh. I started getting deeply into orchestral music to challenge myself in different ways (though got into it awfully deeply, which may or may not have been a good thing - we'll see). But I will say that the orchestral stuff has been a wonderful brain-puzzle/learning experience.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to help a friend put together a big band track, and after all the orchestral writing, it seemed like child's play. Before the orchestral deep-dive, big band music was pretty difficult for me.

You just never know how one thing leads to another.

Not a rant at all!

I think doing the things you're talking about are great ideas to stay fresh. I started getting deeply into orchestral music to challenge myself in different ways (though got into it awfully deeply, which may or may not have been a good thing - we'll see). But I will say that the orchestral stuff has been a wonderful brain-puzzle/learning experience.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to help a friend put together a big band track, and after all the orchestral writing, it seemed like child's play. Before the orchestral deep-dive, big band music was pretty difficult for me.

You just never know how one thing leads to another.
I like to think of it as a root system or digging a tunnel. You keep going and growing and then all of a sudden when you least expect it you run into something that connects you to something else and you just keep building. Pretty soon you have an entire tunnel system or root system that you can go to all kinds of places simply because you kept digging and growing. It may look a little strange but it does take you places. :)

If a person never opens themselves up to it they they stifle their growth and box themselves in. It takes a lot of adjectives to venture down that path (any path) however it is so rewarding to do so. You may not see the fruit immediately but when you get hungry, somehow it always appears. :)

I like to think of it as a root system or digging a tunnel. You keep going and growing and then all of a sudden when you least expect it you run into something that connects you to something else and you just keep building. Pretty soon you have an entire tunnel system or root system that you can go to all kinds of places simply because you kept digging and growing. It may look a little strange but it does take you places. :)

If a person never opens themselves up to it they they stifle their growth and box themselves in. It takes a lot of adjectives to venture down that path (any path) however it is so rewarding to do so. You may not see the fruit immediately but when you get hungry, somehow it always appears. :)
I find that my best creative stuff comes somewhat intuitively, in spite of what my theoretical intentions might be.

For example, if I'm thinking, "I'm going to concentrate on perfect fifths in this piece" it's just not going to be all that interesting in the end. The analytical side of my brain seems to take over at the expense of emotion.

However, if I just let it flow, the work is both more creative, and incorporates things I'm learning in a more intuitive way. And it's better work.

Here's a piece that came about almost by accident. I got this synth pattern going, and before I knew it, came up with a melody, recorded it, and did extremely minimal orchestration. What was the thing that triggered the creativity? It was the delay tone on the piano, a sound, rather than a conscious thought process.

I remember coming up with the melody but not liking it until I played around with the delay. Then it came together in a minute.

Tone matters.

Last edited:
I find that my best creative stuff comes somewhat intuitively, in spite of what my theoretical intentions might be.

For example, if I'm thinking, "I'm going to concentrate on perfect fifths in this piece" it's just not going to be all that interesting in the end. The analytical side of my brain seems to take over at the expense of emotion.

However, if I just let it flow, the work is both more creative, and incorporates things I'm learning in a more intuitive way. And it's better work.

Here's a piece that came about almost by accident. I got this synth pattern going, and before I knew it, came up with a melody, recorded it, and did extremely minimal orchestration. What was the thing that triggered the creativity? It was the delay tone on the piano, a sound, rather than a conscious thought process.

I remember coming up with the melody but not liking it until I played around with the delay. Then it came together in a minute.

Tone matters.
In one band I was in, I was new at bass guitar, and we were developing a new song. The chord pattern was pretty far from the norm and I decided to maximize that by not playing any roots at all. Lots of fifths. It actually worked.

In one band I was in, I was new at bass guitar, and we were developing a new song. The chord pattern was pretty far from the norm and I decided to maximize that by not playing any roots at all. Lots of fifths. It actually worked.
If it works, it's GOOD, whatever it may be.

I was using "thinking consciously about perfect fifths" as a harmony choice in sections of a piece. If that works, it's great - ask Aaron Copland (of course, since he's dead, you'll need a Ouija board ;)).

But it almost has to be subconscious for me in order for things to work.

By the way, it might not be all that long for me to be available for consultation only via Ouija board, but I'm in no hurry at this point...:eek:

Last edited:

Tone matters.
Tone matters for sure. I can always hear something and come up with something. That is easy for me. That is the beauty about having all the roots system stuff in your tool bag. You never know when you will need it but it is there. Some of my best stuff was the easiest and most random but it worked. Sometimes when I begin to labor it is time to put it down and give it a pause. For me, the grind of something rarely produces the result I like....at least not on all parts or instruments.

I am currently learning Beethoven’s 5th. I am playing it in it’s original classical format. It’s a little out of my comfort zone. I am taking a little bit at a time. It will take a couple of months to get this under my fingers. I really like the challenges. I still am working on SD’s Black Friday as well. This is so much damned fun.

PS I finally learned how to play Moby Dick tonight but no where close to Zep’s BPM. It’s insane trying to play it up to speed. My fingers have a melt down and refuse to work.

I am currently learning Beethoven’s 5th. I am playing it in it’s original classical format. It’s a little out of my comfort zone. I am taking a little bit at a time. It will take a couple of months to get this under my fingers. I really like the challenges. I still am working on SD’s Black Friday as well. This is so much damned fun.

PS I finally learned how to play Moby Dick tonight but no where close to Zep’s BPM. It’s insane trying to play it up to speed. My fingers have a melt down and refuse to work.
Keep at it!

I'm so excited that you're learning Beethoven. There are 5,000 (or more) years of great music out there - they've even found notation in Sumerian cuneiform from thousands upon thousands of years ago, and learned that Egyptians played in the 12 tone scale.

So much to know, it's INFINITE.

I've been working on a Brahms piece (orchestral). I'll just say that the guy was a genius and leave it at that.

I scored a scene from a book. I know, it's crazy, but I decided to do a piece based on that. It's in the Studio section of the forum.

Learning Beethoven is helping with other stuff I am learning at the moment.

I am so surprised how my learning curve has improved. Playing Van Halen and Steely Dan has almost taken me to a more comfortable level on my playing. What I thought was not doable is now doable. This is a milestone in my playing.

I feel kick a1s confident. Not quite 100% but whoever plays perfectly?

Learning Beethoven is helping with other stuff I am learning at the moment.

I am so surprised how my learning curve has improved. Playing Van Halen and Steely Dan has almost taken me to a more comfortable level on my playing. What I thought was not doable is now doable. This is a milestone in my playing.

I feel kick a1s confident. Not quite 100% but whoever plays perfectly?
Perfect is in the emotion, not the technicalities. Just my two cents.

If you're feeling it, the audience KNOWS. :)

The other guitar player does a fine job of lead guitar on this. I don’t mind doing rhythm on All along the Watchtower. He is just staring to progress like we all are.

We were supposed to have a band meeting which wasn’t even planned btw. Couldn’t stay, had to catch my train. Next time there def will be a designated time and place to talk. Planned this time.

This band “yes” has commitment issues but I got caught up in playing with everyone and couldn’t of cared less. I am going to see what happens at this meeting and take it from there. Still going to see what my other options are though.

Back