Old and lazy...

I feel your pain. Every decade it gets progressively worse. Used to in my twenties throw a Marshall 4x12 in the back of my Nova like it was cardboard, now at 54 I have sold off combos that were too heavy. Sucks to get old!

Same here. I kept my prs 1x12 thinking a speaker swap would make it a keeper. I have a cream alnico in it but I just like my 4x12s so much better so I guess I'll keep tossing around the 4x12s

I prefer mature and better-informed. But I still haven't hit 40 yet, so you guys feel free to ignore me.

I have a two-trip system: 1) One guitar in gig bag, plus shoulder bag with small pedal board and other essentials; 2)1x12 combo amp, under 50lbs. All set.

Even better, I have a new one-trip system: all of the above items bungee strapped to a Rock N Roller hand truck. Great for those roundabout load-ins.

It also helps to play the right music and the right gigs. Make sure you're playing blues and rock cover songs in terrible locations. 4x12? Haha! Where you gonna put that? Can you turn that down, please? People are trying to ignore the band and have a conversation. Break a string? That's cool, nobody will notice if the rest of the band plays a song or two without you while you restring.

Maybe this is relevant. Maybe this should be a separate thread.

I always assumed that all gigging musicians would always have their valuable guitars in really good locking hard cases when traveling. And when I say valuable I mean, of course, not necessarily valuable in money value but valuable to the career.
In boarding and de-boarding the ship on the last two Bonamassa Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruises I saw countless guitarists doing the same. I saw Markus King, Kirk Fletcher, Jack Pearson and many more that I can't remember in the same line that I was in. Every single one of them had his or her guitar in a gig bag not in a hard case. And everyone of them with the gig bag on his/her back.
I assume they do this because after getting off the ship they are going to board a plane for home or the next gig and are going to carry it on the plane. But what if they can't carry it on? I meant to ask one of them but was never close enough.

Maybe this is relevant. Maybe this should be a separate thread.

I always assumed that all gigging musicians would always have their valuable guitars in really good locking hard cases when traveling. And when I say valuable I mean, of course, not necessarily valuable in money value but valuable to the career.
In boarding and de-boarding the ship on the last two Bonamassa Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruises I saw countless guitarists doing the same. I saw Markus King, Kirk Fletcher, Jack Pearson and many more that I can't remember in the same line that I was in. Every single one of them had his or her guitar in a gig bag not in a hard case. And everyone of them with the gig bag on his/her back.
I assume they do this because after getting off the ship they are going to board a plane for home or the next gig and are going to carry it on the plane. But what if they can't carry it on? I meant to ask one of them but was never close enough.

Worst case scenario, gate check it. But in general, carrying it in a bag is the best bet for keeping the guitar with you and under your control.

At 57, I've sold most of my solid bodies, never take my Mesa out, instead I have a super light 25w Roland amp, but worst of all, I can no longer play standing up with a guitar strapped, sitting down only. (Thank god I'm mostly a jazz guy and it's acceptable)

Yes, it sucks getting old, but getting lazy is the only recourse.

but worst of all, I can no longer play standing up with a guitar strapped, sitting down only. (Thank god I'm mostly a jazz guy and it's acceptable)

Skunk Baxter with the Doobie Brothers.

sept-15-1978-smp-doobie-brotherstriciareqbandsjeff-baxtercredit-image-dn7arp.jpg

My SS came in a nice new S2 gigbag...just got my SS hardcase...so I don’t need the gig bag. If you want it...it’s yours. I can’t bear watching a forum brother torture himself like this...
I would feel super guilty about that as I can just remove one guitar from my current bag and solve the issue. I’m sure someone else probably could use the gig bag that actually NEEDS it. I’d feel silly taking it off your hands even if you don’t want/need it. Very nice of you to offer which reminds me I should look through some things that might be more useful to others. I really just started this thread to be...well, a typical ridiculous guitar player.

Oh man........hit 50 and you will know it. Bodia speaks the truth.
Man, you guys are killing me. I'm going to work out extra hard tonight because of you. And when I'm about ready to give up, I'll keep repeating "you're not getting old and lazy!" :)

I only have one question...do any PRS dealers participate in AARP or similar senior discount programs? Asking for a friend...
I'm just about 59 and my wife is about a year and a half behind me. I resisted all of the AARP stuff until quite recently when I was looking into dental insurance and one of those I was considering was through the AARP. Signing up for AARP was something like $12-15 per year per couple - a nominal expense, so I did it. And then didn't end up going for that insurance plan. So, yeah, technically, I now belong to AARP, but I have yet to use it for anything or even get the membership stuff in the mail. I guess the next time I stay in a hotel, I'll take advantage of their rates. Not sure where else you get a benefit from it, but I'm sure I'll use 'em when I see 'em...

Man, you guys are killing me. I'm going to work out extra hard tonight because of you. And when I'm about ready to give up, I'll keep repeating "you're not getting old and lazy!" :)

You do that, Sunshine. While you're huffing and puffing, I'll enjoy a second martini for you.

Back