OK, So what's the deal with the SE line?

NomadMike

Does PRS actually design and spec the SE line, or just license certain things? I believe that the S2 pick ups are made to PRS specs, but what about the SE pickups and hardware, are they World Musical Instrument Co designs?

The SE line is designed by PRS, and World Musical Instruments make everything to PRS spec. Most of the SE models are very similar to their "big brothers" in almost every way, with a few small exceptions. PRS went to WMI and worked on build techniques with them to assure that the SE's were being made the PRS way.

Pickups are made by G&B, and I believe the story is similar with them.

Andy,
Can you give me a run down on how they are similar and dissimilar? I know about the veneers, cheaper hardware and woods but does PRS design and spec each guitar or does WMI have wiggle room on how they build them to PRS standards?

Andy,
Can you give me a run down on how they are similar and dissimilar? I know about the veneers, cheaper hardware and woods but does PRS design and spec each guitar or does WMI have wiggle room on how they build them to PRS standards?

From what I have heard WMI does no designing. PRS specs each model and WMI does the work. PRS maryland inspects each shipment to the States and can reject guitars if they do not meet spec.

Mike, I can't give any specifics on what WMI is told by PRS, but I have an SE-245 and I can assure you there is no "wiggle-room" going on. It is every bit a PRS and honestly is almost on par with my Mira. I didn't care for the pickups and I swapped them for a Temonti bridge and Vintage bass, but pickups are a season-to-taste item in my opinion anyway. All the important factors are 100% up to PRS standards, even the electronics unless you want to get truly anal.

Thanks guys for the low down. Just trying to get a handle on how much of a PRS guitar the SE models are considering how popular they are and how accepted they are by Core players.
FWIW when I tried out a few SE models several years back I wasn't impressed, but in hind sight that may have had more to do with everyone in town having already played them at the big box music stores they were hanging in.

It's not only you. I have to say that until I'd gotten my SE Custom 24 this year, I had tried a number of SEs since the early aughts, and was sadly unimpressed, since I really wanted to like them.

Dunno what it is, but for me something seemed to click in the last year or so. That isn't to say I haven't run across a few errant duds, usually much-abused GC floor models, but the '13s and '14 seem to be a big improvement over past models.

This is just me, mind you.

I have an '03 Santana which for $300 used is one hell of a bang for the buck guitar. The neck carve is identical to my CU22, with very low action and good tones. I can let my 5 year old play it and not worry about it. Is it a core PRS by any means? No. But it comes pretty close at a small fraction of the price. I have played and even owned several other SEs, none surpassed this one, but they were all good in their own way.

There are a lot of great guitar choices out there in the under $800 range. I think the PRS SE guitars are, hands down, the best bang for the buck!

The SE's are totally PRS. A good comparison may be Apple. The iProducts are designed in the US and it's a Taiwanese company (Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd {Foxconn} that builds them to Apple's specs in China. When people buy an iProduct they consider it to be an Apple product even if it wasn't built by them at an Apple factory in the US or elsewhere. OF course the comparison stops there as Apple don't have a more expensive 'core' line they do build at their own factory and also the software is as important if not more-so than the hardware, but...

If WMI just came up with the guitars and PRS said "We'll just stick our name on that" it would be a different story but the SE's are as fundamental to the PRS story as any other model. Farming the build work out to Korea means they can make them to a specific and important price point. Similarly using more budget orientated components also keeps the price down. But those components are still carefully chosen to do the job and do it pretty well.

Some core differences are: (In using the term 'lower quality' I am not inferring that it means poor quality).

Built in Korea by WMI to save on labour costs.
Built using cheaper woods and using more pieces.
The use of a real wood veneer to achieve the look of a more expensive guitar but using less valuable wood. Really don't see an issue with this.
Cheaper, lower quality fret wire.
Cheaper, lower quality nut material.
Alpha pots as opposed to CTS.
Cheaper, lower quality switches
Other components such as the bridge and tuners are budget parts made or ordered to PRS specs.
Cheaper G&B pickups made to PRS specs.
Less carving on the tops to save on labour costs.
Etc...

But it's all designed by PRS with their strict controls over every aspect. They are PRS's but made to be as high a quality as possible but within a price point that makes them competitive. To do that corners have to be cut but they've managed to do that without sacrificing the ability to produce a high quality instrument.

And that ultimately is what makes it a true PRS, albeit a budget version. The quality still shines through.

But, that's my view. For others it may not be a true PRS if it isn't built on a production line in Maryland. To each their own.

Thanks for the response Mike. To me, and this is just me, I don't see them as "real" PRS guitars, designed by PRS yes, but not actual PRS. Once again, that's just my thing and has nothing to do with their quality. But I did buy a "real" PRS with Korean parts so obviously I'm on shaky ground with my opinion. :)

In the end I think it's like Faded said,
They are a nice value for what they are.
and I don't think that's a put down of the SEs.

I can see why one wouldn't think they are real PRS. "Real" PRS are made in Maryland and these are not so in that regard you are right. It is like Champagne are from France, everywhere else is just sparkling wine.

But at the end of the day we all have a budget and there are great guitars from both line and they all build to a budget and for the money, they are all great guitars.

Last edited:
I think it's fair... The most important thing at the end of the day is that you get a guitar you're happy with and that you could afford. The common ground is that the SE's do represent excellent value for money.

I do like the fact PRS is trying to compete at all price levels without sacrificing quality unlike some other brands.

Right Raymond, I'm not going to complain about another good option if I need a guitar on a budget. And of course the S2s which I love are the bastard children of the Core and SE lines.:laugh:

Last edited:
I can understand if someone thinks that SEs are not a value for them. It is, after all, up to each individual to decide what they like and what they don't.

But...

I do not understand the conclusion, mindset or notion that they are not true or "real" PRS guitars. They are designed, speced, inspected and sold by PRS. They may be built by WMI, but you can't buy one from them.... Saying that they are a nice value for what they are is kind of backhanded and dismissive as well.

Don't like 'em? OK. Don't wanna buy one? OK.
Run 'em down and intimate that they don't deserve to have the PRS logo on them? Not cool.

I actually do want a SE PRS, I really wanted a ZM but not that green though and really want a white Mira S2 as well ! I think they are all fantastic.

I do not understand the conclusion, mindset or notion that they are not true or "real" PRS guitars.
Like I said, that's just my feelings and means nothing to PRS, SE owners, WMI or the quality of the guitars. I also won't own a lot of Gibson USA Les Pauls because they don't meet my idea of what a Les Paul is, doesn't mean they aren't good guitars just not what envision when I think Les Paul.

Now if someone at PRS wants to send me a free Bernie to try to change my mine I'll send my address. ;)

Saying that they are a nice value for what they are is kind of backhanded and dismissive as well.

I don't think it's being backhanded or dismissive as they are used by quite a few folks who use "budget" guitars professionally (even professionals aren't made of money). Eddie Van Halen used an Ibanez Destroyer on You Really Got Me and it was awesome; I sold my LP Deluxe and bought a MIJ LP in 1980 and it was my main guitar for decades. But it was what it was which was a really nice, modded MIJ LP that I love. If I was heading out to tour today I'd probably pickup a Bernie, toss in some new tuners and beat it to death and not worry about it getting dinged up which was my intent for the MIJ. :)

Last edited:
Back