OK PRS...How About An S2 McCarty 594 Thinline "Plus" ???

Just my 2 cents, but I think there are too may "wide-fat" or "vintage" necks. They're on the SE 245 (I believe), SE Paul's Guitar, SE Hollowbody II, S2 McCarty, SE Zack Myers, maybe others. I'd prefer to see more "pattern" (or "pattern/regular)" necks. I'm unsure regarding all of the neck types.

I Concur!

That is why my proposed S2 594 Thinline Plus ... would only differ from the stock Thinline, by the addition of a flamed maple veneer. A Maple cap, would add too bulk, girth and weight. A veneer, like the one on the SE 245. Either that, or a minimal maple cap to support the flamed maple veneer.

All this means is that the Thinline would have the my best PRS fit Pattern Thin neck (which is only "thin" ,compared to the bulky Pattern Vintage). Even the SE Wide Fat on the Hollowbody is only a tad chubbier, but waaay less than the Pattern Vintage (which I might be able to stretch into ...but that remains to be seen )...:oops:

I would Rob 3 Banks, 12 Kids' Lemonade Stands , 3 or 4 Girl Scout Cookie Stands (Dammm Missed them with this Covid mess) Or illegally busk on the street corner to raise the capital for such a Thinline (in Dark Cherry Burst, please ):cool:

Last edited:
Crimes Against Music, I am so with you! Look at these SE 245 Exotic Tops that were sold here in the US in maybe 2019? So many gorgeous PRS guitar finishes are still available in other parts of the world. I sooooo want a Thinline, but omg…that guitar looks like the ugly stepsister compared to PRS’s usual tasty offerings. Just look at these SE 245s: https://hiendguitar.com/search?type=product&q=Prs*+se*+245*+exotic*. Maybe we should get 4 like minded folks together who want a special Thinline and order them!

Crimes Against Music, I am so with you! Look at these SE 245 Exotic Tops that were sold here in the US in maybe 2019? So many gorgeous PRS guitar finishes are still available in other parts of the world. I sooooo want a Thinline, but omg…that guitar looks like the ugly stepsister compared to PRS’s usual tasty offerings. Just look at these SE 245s: https://hiendguitar.com/search?type=product&q=Prs*+se*+245*+exotic*. Maybe we should get 4 like minded folks together who want a special Thinline and order them!
Dang, I shouldn't know these exist! I want one.

I came so close to buying a S2 CU24 in either Dark Cherry Burst or Fire Red Burst. Those tops were absolutely gorgeous. But, I realized I didn't really need a trem bar, I wasn't sure I'd like the pattern regular neck carve, and I liked the versatility of dual controls for dual pickups. So, I consequently chose the McCarty Thinline in Vintage Cherry. I certainly would NOT call mine an ugly stepsister - I think she's beautiful, plays like a dream, and has tone for days. However, and this is a big however, if PRS made that exact S2 Thinline with a maple cap in DCB or FRB colors, then game over, that's what I'd have done. I know PRS makes S2 McCarty 594s with maple caps, but they have the pattern vintage carve. I am way too used to my Carvin's neck to try to wrestle with a fat neck.

As a consumer, the only question I would have is how much more I'd have paid to buy an S2 McCarty Thinline with a beautiful maple top. $100 for sure, probably $150, but certainly not more that $200. For PRS, that becomes part of their equation on whether nor not to build any guitar. Will a certain customer demographic be willing to pay more, and can the company sell enough of them to still make a fair profit?

I'll agree with Crimes Against Music on the neck carve issue. Too bad PRS doesn't offer more choices on neck carves within their lineup. JM2CW. Bottom line for me is this: I absolutely LOVE my McCarty Thinline's looks, playability and tone, and will hold pat for now. Unless ...

This is funny ! :)

I started this rant back in March. It died quickly, but not before I sent my demands to my Sweetwater Sales Engineer. Sweetwater does Dealer Specials on stuff. They create "exclusives (I have a SE CU 24 That is actually a Standard (all mahogany) but with a Rosewood veneer which is pretty cool.

Then PRS does the SE 245 with a flame/stripey top as standard production. So we all know what'.s being asked for, is certainly possible/feasible.

As for a veneer "cheapening" a guitar ? I don't think any of the waay cool SE245 with the flame are "cheaper " than any of the others. I'm sure their owners would agree with me....

I think the biggest obstacle may be PRS is already "pedal to the metal" producing the current lines. They have no incentive to "jazz" things up, or may not have the manufacturing capacity to do "specials" ...

Like Tom says above, I figure a flamey/stripey mod may add as much as $200. to the cost of an already fine guitar. I'd go that. A full maple cap will add unwanted weight and bulk to the guitar (my SE CU24 Zebrawood w/ maple cap is noticeably heaver than the 'Hog / Rosewood veneer CU 24 Sweetwater special) It would probably cost as much as the 594 DC/SC with their not so flamey tops

Ms Carol D , I see my Tobacco Sunburst Thinline as being "Gurl Next Door Purty" ;)
She is definitely not a uggo.>Not jazzy, but then she is not tryin to be. I'd smooch on her !;)

But the Core's get Movie Star Pretty, with the 10 Tops being Supermodel Pretty !

I look at them the supermodels , but I'd marry the cutie next door !;)

Last edited:
So I got sent the paper work to do my own “dealer order” where if I decide to go through with it I’m gonna order four S2 McCarty thinlines with phase 3 tuners and Ebony boards and potentially the American 58/15 LTs and core pots/wiring. Then I’d sell off the 2 or 3 I didn’t need on reverb. I’d probably take a loss but it seems the only way to get everything I want without going Private Stock which would be ridiculous for an S2 lol.

but now after this thread I’m considering maybe a regular S2 with a pattern thin neck, Ebony board, phase 3 tuners, core 58/15LTs

I’m liking the idea of a maple top and the extra thickness on the body I think could be nice even tho I love my thinline as is. Hmmm thinking

So I got sent the paper work to do my own “dealer order” where if I decide to go through with it I’m gonna order four S2 McCarty thinlines with phase 3 tuners and Ebony boards and potentially the American 58/15 LTs and core pots/wiring. Then I’d sell off the 2 or 3 I didn’t need on reverb. I’d probably take a loss but it seems the only way to get everything I want without going Private Stock which would be ridiculous for an S2 lol.

but now after this thread I’m considering maybe a regular S2 with a pattern thin neck, Ebony board, phase 3 tuners, core 58/15LTs

I’m liking the idea of a maple top and the extra thickness on the body I think could be nice even tho I love my thinline as is. Hmmm thinking

OK ... What you are proposing sounds really cool.

My only real "wish' for a Thinline Plus, is a flamed maple top. All other stock components suit me just fine.
A thick maple cap is already available on the other S2's DC & SC. But they are hit or miss in figuring . Flame /Figuring is a gotta have ...

I am interested in keeping it "thin" so there is that...

As for Amurrican 58/15 LT,s well as long as they would not add more to cost than say a set of Lambertone Cremas., Lollar Imperial LT.s SD Seth Lovers ... stuff like that they would make sense. But PRS has strange ideas as to how much their pickups are worth.

In the Thinline , I actually like the 58/15S.

Tuners ? Everybody is enamored by the Pflase III tuners. ...:rolleyes:

But I actually liked the way the stock Thinline came strung from the factory, with bare minimum string wrapped on the vintage style tuners. I got brave , and watched Skitchy to become a "wrapper" went I changer the strings to 8's . Pflase III may be nice, but maybe not really cost effective ...

The Pattern Thin neck carve would be a no -brainer. Otherwise buy the SC/DC with the "Pattern Really Chunky" :) But I did try it ,and it really was not bad ... But why make the "adjustments" if the Pattern Thin (Bound, like stock BTW) , fits better .

Anyway, If you do this , Please share what you have specified.

OK ... What you are proposing sounds really cool.

My only real "wish' for a Thinline Plus, is a flamed maple top. All other stock components suit me just fine.
A thick maple cap is already available on the other S2's DC & SC. But they are hit or miss in figuring . Flame /Figuring is a gotta have ...

I am interested in keeping it "thin" so there is that...

As for Amurrican 58/15 LT,s well as long as they would not add more to cost than say a set of Lambertone Cremas., Lollar Imperial LT.s SD Seth Lovers ... stuff like that they would make sense. But PRS has strange ideas as to how much their pickups are worth.

In the Thinline , I actually like the 58/15S.

Tuners ? Everybody is enamored by the Pflase III tuners. ...:rolleyes:

But I actually liked the way the stock Thinline came strung from the factory, with bare minimum string wrapped on the vintage style tuners. I got brave , and watched Skitchy to become a "wrapper" went I changer the strings to 8's . Pflase III may be nice, but maybe not really cost effective ...

The Pattern Thin neck carve would be a no -brainer. Otherwise buy the SC/DC with the "Pattern Really Chunky" :) But I did try it ,and it really was not bad ... But why make the "adjustments" if the Pattern Thin (Bound, like stock BTW) , fits better .

Anyway, If you do this , Please share what you have specified.

PRS can charge a lot for pickups but from what I’ve seen they’re not as expensive if you’re getting them at the factory from the start. The 58/15s are definitely not bad pickups I just like the way the core model handle the low mids a little better. That being said there are other 3rd party pickups I like too so if they try and charge too much I’ll stick to upgraded wiring and pots lol.

I’m definitely gonna send a few configurations for the price quotes before I pull the trigger, as some options like maybe nicer inlay materials or even brush stroke birds might raise the price more than it’s worth to me.

the vintage tuners ended up being a lot nicer than I was expecting but I definitely got applied by the locking tuners on my CE24 and how quick a string change can be. Plus phase 3’s I feel like will make them a little more unique and potentially easier for me to sell the extras since they’d stand out.

I don’t know if they give an option for a maple too even through a dealer order but I can ask. I’m assuming it’s probably not an option tho since I bet they have a pile of thinline S2 boards already cut to thickness and I can see that adding more to the cost than would be expected. Odds are the thinline is the same piece of wood as the regular McCarty S2 just without the maple cap.

The only thing I haven’t decided on was finish. I was thinking something like a satin white pearl or some kind of satin metallic or flip flop.

PRS can charge a lot for pickups but from what I’ve seen they’re not as expensive if you’re getting them at the factory from the start. The 58/15s are definitely not bad pickups I just like the way the core model handle the low mids a little better. That being said there are other 3rd party pickups I like too so if they try and charge too much I’ll stick to upgraded wiring and pots lol.

I’m definitely gonna send a few configurations for the price quotes before I pull the trigger, as some options like maybe nicer inlay materials or even brush stroke birds might raise the price more than it’s worth to me.

the vintage tuners ended up being a lot nicer than I was expecting but I definitely got applied by the locking tuners on my CE24 and how quick a string change can be. Plus phase 3’s I feel like will make them a little more unique and potentially easier for me to sell the extras since they’d stand out.

I don’t know if they give an option for a maple too even through a dealer order but I can ask. I’m assuming it’s probably not an option tho since I bet they have a pile of thinline S2 boards already cut to thickness and I can see that adding more to the cost than would be expected. Odds are the thinline is the same piece of wood as the regular McCarty S2 just without the maple cap.

The only thing I haven’t decided on was finish. I was thinking something like a satin white pearl or some kind of satin metallic or flip flop.

Well, anyway you go, I'm sure it will be a tasty piece. L Just let folks know what you can hook up... I understand your point on the tuners ...but I do like the S2 Vintage Tuners better than the SE Lockers (they feel more positive in adjustment. Hold tune like a rock, and the brass posts look cool)

AND your point about the Thinline board... is why I need only a veneer of flamey flame , Like on the SE 245's ...

Well, anyway you go, I'm sure it will be a tasty piece. L Just let folks know what you can hook up... I understand your point on the tuners ...but I do like the S2 Vintage Tuners better than the SE Lockers (they feel more positive in adjustment. Hold tune like a rock, and the brass posts look cool)

AND your point about the Thinline board... is why I need only a veneer of flamey flame , Like on the SE 245's ...

I wonder how much it would cost for you to have a luthier add a veneer for you. I’ve seen cherry red ones go for as little as $900-$1100 used. It definitely wouldn’t be the cheapest route but a possibility?

just had a thought. Are the S2 custom 24’s thickness similar to that of the thinline? Those have a maple cap ya? So maybe they do have wood that would be able to be paired with a maple top in a similar dimension. If that’s the case then maybe a maple topped thinline is indeed possible.

edit: did some research apparently the thinline is 43mm thick and the S2 Custom 24 with maple top is 44mm about the same thickness you’d have trying to add a veneer. The regular S2 594 is 48mm.

Last edited:
We're covering our guitars with cabinet lining? Not really the same veneer. PRS uses real high quality wood as a veneer for us all to share the beauty instead of a select few.

Can you please post this in every thread so I can like it maybe a thousand times or so?

Plain maple beats veneer imo

How ??? Are you saying, that you would have more expensive materials put on a guitar, simply because you think they sound better, ???

Mind you PRS puts its name on, and several players here are quite proud of their SE 245, with a slight maple cap and a FLAMED MAPLE VENEER, which sure makes it look hot. Not sure if it sounds different from the all 'Hog. version ...

Or if the maple would be attributable to a tonal difference (but its gotta sound "brighter " ? ) ...and I'm sure the SE 245 guys do not think it is "cheap" because its only a veneer ... (probably saves about a pound of weight)

Then , there is this :

You have to go all the way to the end to hear the "guitar" ... but damned if it does not sound like a Strat Type...And sound good !

And finally the original Les Paul Proof Of Concept ... "The Log" ... had pickups mounted on a plank. Might have been mahogany, and the rest of the body (the maple parts ?) were just for decoration to make the Log look more like what it was trying to be (and became) ... a guitar.

Edit: actually the" Log " was pine

And not a spec of "cereal" (tone wood.) in the body. There is another YouTube vid ...where a guy builds out of cinder block with similar results.. I'm not saying that what an electric SOLID BODY guitar is made of, is immaterial. Or how its made does not matter. But to say that a veneer of maple is cheap , sleazy and Un Amurrican ( belongs only on cheap imports) is just wrong thinking ...

So all this business about the depth of what is largely an ornamental wood ... (veneer or cap) and how the thickness lends to goodness ??? Is simply wrong ...

Buy the 594 DC/SC if you want thick & heavy ...

By the way ... if mass leads to tone and sustain ... That Concrete beast weighs 19 pounds !!! ;)

There are cool videos where my sweetie Mary Spender plays (and makes sound great) guitars made of carbon fiber ... (the carbon fiber probably cost waay more than maple or mahogany , so it ain't cheap... )

EDIT : The Carbon guitars are cheaper than I thought ... made like acoustics

Last edited:
I saw a couple of S2 594 with fancy maple tops offered by one of the bigger PRS dealers on eBay. They looked nice, there was like a $200 premium over retail.

Back