Ok. Now the other side of the coin. If your not happy with your rig

I just went through this about 2 months ago... I had been playing a Mesa Boogie Roadster 1/2 stack with my modern rock band. I had an RJM switching system (RG-16 and Mastermind) with a T.C. Electronics G Major in the rack. This rig sounded awesome and it took me several years to get it all together. I became very burned out on our music and everything to do with the band (setting up my gear was a freaking pain in the a**). I needed a change and almost just said screw it and quit playing all together. I had no desire to play anymore. So I finally made a decision and decided to quit the band, sell my gear and start all over again and go back to playing blues and Allman Brothers type music which was were I started years ago.

So I quit, sold my entire rig to the new guy who took my place and went to my local shop where I spend my time drooling on expensive high-end gear. They had a brand new PRS HX/DA head so I checked it out after checking out some YouTube vids. Well, it's sitting in my basement now waiting for me to relearn a bunch of songs and get rolling again. This was just what I needed to kickstart me back into enjoying playing again.. Plus I get to buy a bunch of new stuff to go with it. Nothing like a fresh start to clear the slate on life. This is a little extreme, I know... but you have to do what you have to do to move forward and this was my chance. Peace

Matt

Interesting question and I'm not sure what my truth is.
When my finances were tightly constrained, I turned buttons and flipped switches until I could make myself happy with what I had. I tried to buy carefully so I could convince myself I was happy for quite some time.
I still try to be careful enough before buying that I know I can be happy with what I take home - then I can explore for something different and not care too much how long it takes to find something that is different enough to be worth my hard earned cash - because I've almost always been happy with what I had.
Except when I blew up amps. When I was in that phase, I used it as an excuse to know in advance what I would buy when the next one blew up.
I haven't had that problem since I got my Mesa Boogie in the late 80s.

I'm not happy and looking for a new amp. I thought I wanted the simplicity of a single channel amp, but then found myself using stomp box distortions (via HD500). I know what I want now, and it's just a matter of finding the $$$ to get it. I might have to sell a guitar or 2 but don't really want to!

There is only one thing I would change to my Maryland-made guitars. The edge of the top would get sanded down so it didn't scrape my forearm anymore.

My pups on my Bernie...They just arent obnoxious enough..Other than that, I am damn well pleased.

I'm not happy and looking for a new amp. I thought I wanted the simplicity of a single channel amp, but then found myself using stomp box distortions (via HD500). I know what I want now, and it's just a matter of finding the $$$ to get it. I might have to sell a guitar or 2 but don't really want to!

What amp are you looking at?

I want one of those headstock camera's. a bubble machine, video projector, a nice high powered fan for my hair, and a 25th anv. Dragon to abuse. Otherwise: I think I got it.

Went thru this for about 6 years playing different rigs/set-ups.I was always happy with the guitars I played from PRS, but amps were a different story. I tried just about everything from Rivera's ,Boogies,Bogners,H&Ks to PRSs. They all sounded good, but I never quite 100% dug what I was hearing as things changed so much from venue to venue. Some places were big enough to let the power sections of the amps really breathe, but most were small to the point they just were dull sounding. In small venues I would always look for a janitor/storage closet off stage and if I found one my amp would be stuffed in there dimed and mic'd. That way I could get what I wanted to hear and not cut people's heads of out front. Amps really started to become a PITA........and I decided to go over to the darkside!. I bought into all the modeling hype and bought an Axe-FX. I couldn't be happier....a bazillion different tones....just as many effects...and no more hiding in the closets and the same tone everytime!

I bought into all the modeling hype and bought an Axe-FX. I couldn't be happier....a bazillion different tones....just as many effects...and no more hiding in the closets and the same tone everytime!

Amen man. I bought an Axe FX Ultra and then upgraded to the AxeFX II and have never questioned a new rig since.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34909 said:
There is only one thing I would change to my Maryland-made guitars. The edge of the top would get sanded down so it didn't scrape my forearm anymore.

Have three solutions for ya, Hans:

1. Leather archer's forearm pad; or

2. PTC; or

3. Sandpaper/grinder/dremel tool.

Mesa Mark V, it has everything I want in a gigging amp and the sound clips sound great (to me). I'd be looking at PRS amps but they don't come in 240V. I'd change one over but worried the new transformer would affect the tone.

You'll never regret a Mesa Mark V. I don't play out or with a band and my Marshall and Peavey 6534 were just too much for at home jamming. I bought my Mark V a year ago and it's the perfect amp. If you play at home like me then the 10 watt mode is perfect and if you play in a band, the 45 or 90 watts can melt the paint off your walls. Don't get me wrong, the 45 watt and 90 are capable of bedroom levels too with the master volume.. All in all the Mark V is just a awesome amp. It will not disappoint especially channel 3. It's a beast!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34909 said:

Yep... but it only happens on my Stripped 58, the CU22 is thinner and doesn't really do it too much. I wear a sweatband to help with the edge/wrist problem.

I can say I'm kinda growing tired of my Axe-Ultra. It is the wet/stereo side of my rig. It's mostly in a band rehearsal situation, when I want to be quick and creative with effects. It's pretty much impossible for me to get something quick unless it's just a simple 1 or 2 effects.

Back