OK Guys, Where do you shop for a PRS

I need to say Avoid guitar center
Having bought two Korean SE 245's from GC in the last two months I'll say that, if you have a local GC to return a guitar if you don't like it AND you can evaluate a guitar well then consider it. Shipping is pretty cheap from across the country and since they don't evaluate guitars that closely they can underprice their stock if a piece is in great condition or had some mods done to improve it. The key thing is their 45 day return policy.

And I got a great S2 McCarty 594 from Dave's. I was lucky enough to see the listing a couple of hours after it was posted; for their best deals you have to pounce quickly.

I bought my PRS used from Guitar Center. But the best guitar buying experience I had was from Dave's, although that was also while spending the most I have on a guitar (a Collings OM1 acoustic). I recently sold it. however.

So when perusing PRSs online I usually check out Dave's, Brian's or Wildwood.

I was recently checking out Chicago Music Exchange's PRS section in person, which was pretty cool. But then a guitar snob by the PRS display didn't like my Fender hoodie. Could have happened anywhere, I suppose.
Love dealing with the folks at CME. Especially if I’m selling. No better experience

Love dealing with the folks at CME. Especially if I’m selling. No better experience
Yeah. I put up a couple things in forum classifieds without much response, then asked CME, Dave's, and a local Sam Ash for quotes. Oh, and Gruhn, who replied they weren't interested within two minutes. CME took a week to respond but had the best offer, by quite a bit, even telling me how much they planned to sell them for.

So I took a trip. Very nice place. While waiting, I talked to a salesperson, who said it sounds like I need a Les Paul. I replied I'd be more interested in a 335. He found out out what I was selling and pushed a custom shop 335 pretty hard. I was thinking about it, but they were setting up for a special event, the anti-Fender snob was unpleasant, being in the old neighborhood drew mixed emotions, so I was ready to go.

They sold the two electrics and a pedal within a few hours after listing them for more than I was asking. Last I looked they still had the acoustic listed, priced far higher than I was asking. I haven't seen the amp listed, maybe they're just selling it in store.

Yeah. I put up a couple things in forum classifieds without much response, then asked CME, Dave's, and a local Sam Ash for quotes. Oh, and Gruhn, who replied they weren't interested within two minutes. CME took a week to respond but had the best offer, by quite a bit, even telling me how much they planned to sell them for.

So I took a trip. Very nice place. While waiting, I talked to a salesperson, who said it sounds like I need a Les Paul. I replied I'd be more interested in a 335. He found out out what I was selling and pushed a custom shop 335 pretty hard. I was thinking about it, but they were setting up for a special event, the anti-Fender snob was unpleasant, being in the old neighborhood drew mixed emotions, so I was ready to go.

They sold the two electrics and a pedal within a few hours after listing them for more than I was asking. Last I looked they still had the acoustic listed, priced far higher than I was asking. I haven't seen the amp listed, maybe they're just selling it in store.
I like their upfront stance on buying used stuff. I sent them a list of 10 and waited a week. Got an offer (70% of what they listed for…which they told me they were doing upfront). When I took them in I was shocked to be in, and out in 45 minutes. No haggling. No change in offer. Simple. A far cry from what I was used to at GC. I’ve been back several times.

I like their upfront stance on buying used stuff. I sent them a list of 10 and waited a week. Got an offer (70% of what they listed for…which they told me they were doing upfront)
I've never sold guitars but it's nice to know what the markup is, as well as them being upfront about it.

There are two local stores I've gotten PRSi from. The guy who runs one is a noted Les Paul expert. I hadn't been there in about five years, but because we were going to a minor league hockey game about an hour from here (again, first time in about five years), we popped into the guitar store. They're no longer a PRS dealer. They had a used S2 Starla, and that was it for the PRS field. I did pick up a capo though.

So, one less store for me!

I like their upfront stance on buying used stuff. I sent them a list of 10 and waited a week. Got an offer (70% of what they listed for…which they told me they were doing upfront). When I took them in I was shocked to be in, and out in 45 minutes. No haggling. No change in offer. Simple. A far cry from what I was used to at GC. I’ve been back several times.
Similar experience. I wondered if there would be a change in offer once I brought them in, but no. They just added the price of the pedal I decided to take at the last minute. And the push to buy a 335 or something similarly pricey, as they said the tax break with a major trade would be significant.

Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, Colorado. That's where i bought my Silver Sky, HDRX amp head, and my Breedlove acoustic guitars.

Back