OK... Does Anyone Have a Set of TCI/S Pick Ups to sell ?

CrimesAgainstMusic

Looks like the SE pickups continually seem to improve. I like the 58/15S in the S2 Thinline platform, and in the SE Hollowbody they really seem to do a great job ...

I know "TCI" is supposed to be a process of mating pickup to guitar ... But I'm thinking (a dangerous thing) that "chassis wise", a SE Paul's , could not be that much different from a SE CU 24. So these TCI/S jobbies (secondary market) might be a cool way to "upgrade" 85/15S without going the boutique or SD routes... ;)

Well... I thought I'd ask ! They do sound decent in all the You Tube presentations ..., and would appear to be a low/moderate cost alternative to "upgrading" say, a set of 85/15S . I guess I'd have to buy a whole different guitar to cop a set ... but I don't think I would go that far ...

Also, does anyone know, if the "S version of the TCI is a physically larger pickup than the US version ? The bobbins on the US version seem a tad smaller ...

The S versions are standard PRS humbucker size. The original? US made TCI were the smaller pups on the Paul's guitar, but other TCI US made are standard humbucker size. I gather that the TCI pups are not a specific type of pup, but TCI versions of various types of pups.

Hey @CrimesAgainstMusic, I remembered your post while browsing over at Reverb.

Based on the seller's description at the link below, I believe the pickups in their listing should be TCI/S (not 85/15s). I think that all of the SE CU24 35th's came with TCIs pickups. I cannot confirm, as I do not know how they would be marked, and I haven't opened mine to have a look. Someone else might be able to visually confirm for you. Maybe they'll work out for you. Good luck.

https://reverb.com/item/39269104-parts-prs-35th-anniversary-se-custom-24

Based on the seller's description at the link below, I believe the pickups in their listing should be TCI/S (not 85/15s). I think that all of the SE CU24 35th's came with TCIs pickups. I cannot confirm, as I do not know how they would be marked, and I haven't opened mine to have a look. Someone else might be able to visually confirm for you. Maybe they'll work out for you. Good luck.

You are right about the TCI and SE 35th, but I don't know how they are marked either for the SE. The few I've seen of core had TCI on them but that was core.

Looks like the SE pickups continually seem to improve. I like the 58/15S in the S2 Thinline platform, and in the SE Hollowbody they really seem to do a great job ...

I know "TCI" is supposed to be a process of mating pickup to guitar ... But I'm thinking (a dangerous thing) that "chassis wise", a SE Paul's , could not be that much different from a SE CU 24. So these TCI/S jobbies (secondary market) might be a cool way to "upgrade" 85/15S without going the boutique or SD routes... ;)

You know what? I actually might....I'm planning to swap the TCI(s) pups in my 35th for bareknuckles, so if you want I can save em for you when I make the swap.

Ok, I took a couple of moments to blow up the picture of the back of the pickups in that Reverb listing.

The part number does appear to indicate that they are 8515s. So, AFAIK, nevermind. NOT TCIs.

That's weird. I thought all the 35th anniversary SEs had TCIs.

That's weird. I thought all the 35th anniversary SEs had TCIs.
I can confirm they do. I did a teardown after I got mine and they have the same label as the pups on my Pauls SE. I dont think I have the pictures anymore of when I did it tho.

So those pups aren't from an SE 35th? Or maybe TCIs don't have different markings? I was just confused over the listing is all. Not a big deal.

So those pups aren't from an SE 35th? Or maybe TCIs don't have different markings? I was just confused over the listing is all. Not a big deal.
If you look closely at the label, they say 85/15 ZEBRA, so I'm guessing...a ZM maybe, but these did not come out of a 35th. The TCI types actually say "TCI" and measure around 11.5k ohms each. I suspect there is no difference between the neck and bridge, they are both wound to the same output.

I see these advertised on Sweetwater.

PRS Cu 24 with "PRS TCI-tuned 85/15 Humbucker"

PRS McCarty with "PRS TCI-tuned 58/15 Humbucker"

Check these from an SE Paul's, which are TCI versions, labeled as Paul's:
https://reverb.com/item/26261281-prs-se-tci-s-humbucker-pickups

https://reverb.com/item/30224662-pr...-black-in-loaded-strat-pickguard-with-toggles

OK now that you showed it, my memory got jogged. The one on the Paul's SE don't say TCI, they say PAULS. I can't remember what the 35th ones say, I swore I thought they said TCI on the back label. I don't think they said 85/15 tho. I'll have to look next time I change strings. Might do that tonight.

Part of the confusion is PRS website says TCI but retailers like Sweetwater say TCI 85/15s. I've always assumed they were 85/15s that were TCI tuned on the 35th but there has been discussion on here they are only TCI. Either way 85/15 or not all 35th are TCI tuned.

Its all the "mystery" regarding what should be a pretty standard part (and inexpensive to boot, I mean they are Asian made) ... That makes one say, "Hey SD '59 Neck/ 59 Custom Bridge ...and forget about it ... :rolleyes:

Part of the confusion is PRS website says TCI but retailers like Sweetwater say TCI 85/15s. I've always assumed they were 85/15s that were TCI tuned on the 35th but there has been discussion on here they are only TCI. Either way 85/15 or not all 35th are TCI tuned.

If only I didn't delete the teardown photos I took, then we'd have an answer. It was that or delete the cat pictures, and the kitty won in the end. He always wins.

Back